MrBeetle

Jun 19, 2020
Cleveland OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I'm new to owning a pool (installed late last year)... and the recent chlorine shortage is making me want to ditch my tablet feeder/bottles of chlorine and go straight to SWG. My plan was to get my CYA to ~30 or so with stabalizer, then raise it to ~50 or so with pucks, and then use liquid... And swap back to the pucks just to raise CYA as needed. But, chlorine seems to be in short supply and $$$ this year. (I did get like 50lbs of pucks last year - which should buy me time - but using 7.5% bleach at $4-5 per gallon because it's all I can find locally)

I'm thinking of the Circupool Universal 40. My AGP/All resin pool is about 21K gallons.

1) I do have a 20A accessory circuit that I would likely tie into, instead of hooking it inline with the pump. All timers/breakers are inside my basement, about 225' away, and I don't want to have to pull another $500 worth of copper.
2) I should have room on my pad, but I'd have to get creative in mounting. Nothing that PVC and a new post cant fix.

So, my questions...

1) It has a flow switch. Does it *need* a timer as well? My plan would be to simply plug it into the 120V receptacle, and leave it there. (Yes, it is GFCI'd). Wouldn't the flow switch turn it on and shut it off with the pump? What would the disadvantage be? (Other option would be to purchase another timer and leave it outside, but make sure the two timers are synced up pretty well... or use something like a Sonoff WIFI switch that I could add to my home automation if the current draw isn't too high)
2) Do you know the current draw for it?
3) About how big is the control unit?

It has a flow switch. Does it *need* a timer as well?
Yes it does. The SWCG powered on when the pump is not running is an explosion risk. It does not happen often, but it does happen.
Set the timer so it comes on 30 minutes or so after the pump starts and stops 30 minutes or so before the pump stops.
2) Do you know the current draw for it?
Contact Circupool
3) About how big is the control unit?
Contact Circupool.

You have Menards in Cleveland. They shows lots of 12.5% Pool Shock in stock.
Thanks... I don't consider them local (CLE is my nearest city, but I'm out in the boonies - Menards is about a 2 hour round trip with the roads I have to take) but it's good to know that I can stop there should I ever be in the neighborhood - or make a trip special if I need to....

Do you have a timer on your pump? Most people with a single speed pump will just tie it into the same feed so when the pump is on the SWG is on. It doesn't take that much power. The flow switch acts as a safety shut off, and shouldn't be considered a primary way to control the cell. Sounds like you have the logistics of mounting it well in hand, but if you need another eyeball, post of a pic of your pad and where you plan to install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.