Baqua Pool; I purchased SWG now what?

Mattkvaldez84

Jul 18, 2020
Canon City, CO
I have a 22,500-gallon pool and have struggled with cloudy water this year. I use Baquacil for my chemicals and nothing has worked. I made the decision to buy a SWG. Do I install my SWG and add salt to the pool or do I need to add liquid chlorine first?

CirculPool Core-Series55

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt
A SWG pool is a chlorine pool with just a different method of delivering the chlorine. You will need to convert your Baqua pool to chlorine. Start off by reading this:

Definitely read the baqua conversion instructions provided above. But also update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. That will come into play during the conversion process. If you have added any other products to the water (i.e. stabilizers) let us know. In rare cases, it is sometimes better to exchange a good amount of water to help make the process more efficient. Understand a good amount of chlorine will be required during this process, but it's well worth it in the end. @Leebo, care to add anything else for the OP?

First and foremost..............WELCOME TO TFP!

If I may ask a question, do you plan on closing the pool this winter? If so, when??

You’re in a bad place in my eyes.......but we can help you minimize headaches and explain all your options. In the end you won’t be able to just “install the SWG and go” as when Baqua and chlorine mix they make really cool colors that nobody wants to swim in. You’ve kinda got three options,

1. You can do a drain/refill of your water. This will be quickest but clearly an option no pool owner really wants to hear. Once your water is refilled you’ll need to still undergo the Baqua process listed above, but it’ll be rather quick as the huge majority of Baqua will be gone.
2. You can follow the conversion directions in the link that was shared above. This option kinda stinks right now as it’ll be costly and put your pool out of service for a week or so.

Now granted you can kinda do a combo of the two above and maybe only drain 1/2 or something, but regardless how much you drain you’ll need to do the conversion process. The more you drain, the quicker/cheaper the conversion.

Now granted those two above may leave kinda a bad taste in your mouth seeing you’ve only got a month left or so until you close. I really wish I could say you’ll be able to just turn on the SWG, but it just won’t work like that.
3. The third option also kinda stinks, but it’s an option. You could also finish the year off with Baqua and convert next Spring at opening. The perk here is you’ll be able to still use your pool for now plus the Winter/Spring will dilute any Baqua you’ve got in the water and help speed things up next year. The negative however is you’ll need to put up with the price tag and poor water quality that comes with Baquacil. We can help you somewhat fight this month, but please note deep down inside we’ll all be thinking just how much we hate Baquacil and that we can’t wait to convert your pool.

I wish we had better news, but I wanted to lay out all the info for you. 😟

So, I see your vote is to convert. 😁 I like your style, just go for it.

Did you see any changes in color? What test kit are you using??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.