Balancing Chemicals and Preventing Algea Return

FFPool

Jul 19, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
I’ve been fighting back on algea growth the past few weeks. I’ve finally got it mostly clear, but I just got my TF-100 kit and am seeing numbers that aren’t great.

Here’s what I have:

TA: 240
Ph: 7.8
CYA: 30
FC: 4.5
CC: 0 (didn’t switch color)

I think I need to lower the TA first. I have 128 oz of 31.45% Muriatic Acid. When I use the calculator it looks like I’ll need a few more jugs of it, and that doesn’t seem right. Should I start with adding the whole jug (obviously following safety measures)?

Attachments

• 6AD0ACB8-830E-43E7-99AD-91CF38761746.jpeg
    6AD0ACB8-830E-43E7-99AD-91CF38761746.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to posting.

From your picture, it appears you have active algae. You need to follow the SLAM Process. No need to mess with TA. Lower your pH to 7.2 and follow the directions in the article.

Reactions: FFPool
You need to run the pump to mix in the acid. You only should have to add it once or maybe twice. Once you get the pH to around 7.2, start the SLAM. The SLAM process is what is needed. A precise pH level is not needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.