Automation Question - Advice Please

usfbull

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
Tampa FL
Surface
Plaster
Moved from HERE.

Hi, so I have questions concerning simple automation. I plan to build a pool with no spa and the only water feature being a bubbler (no light) on the sunshelf. I plan on two colored LED lights inside the pool, ichlor swcg, and maybe a heat pump.

can I use the intelliconnect, with the smartphone app for my needs. I will not want the automation controlling anything non pool related.

if I use the intelliconnect do I need the 3hp IntelliFlo pump and have to forgo the 1.5 VSP?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused!

Do I need automation? If so, how much automation do I need and what will it do for me to justify the additional costs?

I am going to have a pretty simple pool compared to many.

The plan is no spa, one bubbler on a sunshelf, no heat pump (maybe add in the future), a SWCG, and 2 MicroBrite lights.

the pool is going to be 15x27 with a 10x6 sunshelf outside of the swim area.

If we go with automation it will be the 3HP intelliflo pump if no automation then the 1.5 VSP

Builder I like the best is quoting an extra $650 to upgrade the pump and $437 for the intelliconnect

I havent yet asked about intellicenter as for my simple setup wasnt sure needed to control additional items.

So it is almost $1100 to go to the upgraded pump and intelliconnect. If I don't have any automation isnt the pump programable on the pump itself? once its setup do you change the speeds often? If not it seems i would paying extra $$ just to be able to turn the lights on and off.

I am thinking that I must be missing some benefits.

No one needs automation. It just means any equipment adjustments will take a trip out to the pool pad instead of from your favorite chair.

I would think you could get by with an IntelliConnect, check out the review below. Downside is that you only get two relays and you can't control your bubbler.

You really need an Intelliflo instead of a Superflo since you need the RS485 interface to enable it to control the speeds on your pump from automation.

Reactions: usfbull
I agree with Allen, no one "needs" automation, your simple setup included. But, wouldn't it be easier to monitor/view/change things from an app, than say going to the panel each time? One thing to think about as you design all this stuff, is what you think you may need or want to do right now, may change down the road, and having a little modern tech from the beginning probably will help make changes easier later on.

I know everyone has a budget, and everything can add up, but I look at the automation as a small cost of the overall large price of this investment. Plus I think about what could be added now vs. would be a real pain later on to add, and go with those . Of course you could add automation later, but if your PB does the install, you get a better warranty from Pentair as well.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.