East Hampton, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an automatic chlorinator which I now will not use anymore unless I’m away . This so I don’t increase CYA levels with stabilized tabs.

My question is - is there a automatic chlorinator or method that used liquid chlorine?

Thanks. I was considering SWG when I opened this year . But I did some research. I read that since my pool was NOT built with a SWG in mind it may be problematic. For example everything around my pool is either wood decking, wood pool pump house, and metal coping around the pool. Originally built in the 90’s. Semi- inground pool.

Salt water has a bad effect when constantly splashed onto those Materials.

Any and all comments are welcome

Much of this was discussed in your thread last year. Have there been any changes? You stated you would look into a SWCG for this year.

Your pool water has significant salinity in it now if you use chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
That is untrue. It's one of the many SWCG myths that pool builders (who conveniently tend to own pool maintenance companies) use to scare prospective customers out of buying them. There is NO special way to build a "SWCG pool".

Understand that every chlorine pool is a salt pool (and vice versa). Every chlorination method will eventually put salt into the water as a byproduct. There is no way around this. The average SWCG requires 3000ppm salinity to operate. Given enough time, pools that don't see much splashout or overflowing can easily get right up to that point without a single gram of salt ever being purposefully added. Also consider that seawater is 30,000 PPM. We're operating nowhere near that.

Much of this was discussed in your thread last year. Have there been any changes? You stated you would look into a SWCG for this year.

Your pool water has significant salinity in it now if you use chlorine.
Last year was my first year with TFP. My pool had major problems. This year everything has started much better and now I understand the chlorine/CYA relationship.

I had the intention to do the SWG in early April until I did the reading mentioned above . That changed my mind - I thought I could just maintain with liquid chlorine and supplement with automatic chlorinator when I travel. However in a short period of using it with only two 3” stabilized tabs in it I noticed my CYA increase quickly.

So I’m back to rethinking whether to do it. Do you have experience that you can reassure me that the salt water effect on all the wooden decking and wood pump house and metal coping will not become a very bad problem - causing me to regret my decision to install the SWG??

That is untrue. It's one of the many SWCG myths that pool builders (who conveniently tend to own pool maintenance companies) use to scare prospective customers out of buying them. There is NO special way to build a "SWCG pool".

Understand that every chlorine pool is a salt pool (and vice versa). Every chlorination method will eventually put salt into the water as a byproduct. There is no way around this. The average SWCG requires 3000ppm salinity to operate. Given enough time, pools that don't see much splashout or overflowing can easily get right up to that point without a single gram of salt ever being purposefully added. Also consider that seawater is 30,000 PPM. We're operating nowhere near that.
Thanks for your reply - as you can see I’m a worry wart and I continued my questions with another forum member that replied to me

Search the forum for the issues you state. I have never seen it shown. We hear members come here saying someone told them or they read it elsewhere, but here, we have never seen data, pictures, etc to prove any damage specifically from the low salinity used for SWCG's.

Reactions: mgtfp
Search the forum for the issues you state. I have never seen it shown. We hear members come here saying someone told them or they read it elsewhere, but here, we have never seen data, pictures, etc to prove any damage specifically from the low salinity used for SWCG's.
Ok thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our Aussie SWGs are specified up to 8000ppm salt. I've never been that high, but usually somewhere in the 4000-6000ppm range. Pool is about 40 years old, about 20 of that I guess with an SWG. House hasn't crumbled down so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.