Autofill Wont Turn Off? (Levolor SOL100)

mystie3k

Silver Supporter
Jun 12, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all - just joined last week and enjoying all the great content. I wanted to share something I learned and couldn't find on the forum, and get feedback if anyone has had something similar.

Issue: Jandy Levolor K-1100 autofill with the 1in 24V Solenoid with Flow Control (SOL100) would not turn off once turned on.

Cause: SOL100 fill valve fully opened with reduced size (1/2") pool return port prevents SOL100 from closing and turning off autofill.

Solution: It was only once I dramatically reduced the flow rate through the solenoid, it returned to normal operation.

Question: Has anyone else had this issue? Do I need to keep the SOL100 flow rate reduced with a higher head pressure from the restricted return valve? I thought a solenoid would be strong enough to shut off the water supply, but maybe not?

Background: Autofill is hooked up to house water supply with standard PSI and backflow preventer. I wanted it to fill faster, so I fully opened the valve. I then changed the fill valve to a smaller diameter return jet, so the water would shoot higher in the air (5-10 feet) and make a fun fountain for the kids. After a few days, the autofill would not turn off. I thought I had a bad solenoid, so I replaced it with a brand new one, and started having the same problem within days. I could not find any documentation in the instructions or Google saying NOT to do this, so I figured the SOL100 would be able to handle the flow rate and head pressure from the reduced return jet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 7.08.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 7.08.04 AM.png
    743.1 KB · Views: 5
I reduced the inlet flow by half and i reduce the outlet flow to about 0.5 GPM and I haven't had a similar problem.

The odd thing is I did not have a problem with it with the old solenoid

another factor is the backflow preventer valve burst and the Texas freeze and I replace that as well. I didn't think that would affect anything but maybe?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.