Autofill leaking

cybertoad

Jan 30, 2019
California
Hello TFP readers, we built a pool which was completed last summer, and signed off on taking possession of it on 8/16/2019. Less than a month later, we found that the pool was overfilling and I discovered that the built-in autofill had a crack in the PVC fitting. I posted about it on TFP in fact. Auto fill leaking

The builder opted to try the least destructive fix possible, using epoxy to repair the fitting as the alternative would mean jack hammering part of the pool deck. I was hopeful that their fix would be long-lasting, however today I noticed that it is leaking again at the same location. The epoxy has cracked, probably due to the water pressure.

I will be contacting the builder on Monday and putting in a warranty claim (one year warranty is almost up), however I am concerned that they may want to put a band-aid on the problem again instead of replacing the cracked fitting. I know that proper addressing of this problem means cutting into the pool deck, however I am concerned that it will never match again with the existing stamped concrete. I was trying to think of a solution that might work to remove and replace the autofill without major destruction, such as using a coring bit to cut out a circular hole around the perimeter of the autofill, and then chiseling out the old one and patching the concrete between the core and the autofill. The other thing that came to mind is leaving the concrete as-is, and cutting out the housing for the existing autofill, and splicing in a new piece of pipe and mounting a new autofill in the planter adjacent to the concrete.

If they cut out a section of the cantilever deck and re-pour, am I right to be concerned that it will never match?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I obviously want this fixed properly but I don't want the aesthetics of the fix to look terrible either.

Attachments

• 7E73CB9A-8FAA-4665-A698-46A0AE49B894.jpeg
    7E73CB9A-8FAA-4665-A698-46A0AE49B894.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 18
  • D6DAA7BB-4723-49D0-82BE-511FC24726AE.jpeg
    D6DAA7BB-4723-49D0-82BE-511FC24726AE.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 19
I personally do not believe auto levelers are a great solution. As people swim and create waves the auto filler will be on and off.
I have my fill (not auto leveler) controlled with a separate valve and zone of my sprinkler system. My PB added a 1/2” line just under the coping when building the pool and I tied it into a now not needed zone. I just set it to run x minutes each day. I adjust the run time based on time of year etc. it has worked quite well but requires a little manual management but not difficult. My brother added a zone and piped it into his return line with back flow prevention. Typical water pressure is much higher than pool pump pressure.

Is either of these an option for you. Tearing up the deck would never happen for me.

Thanks for replying. The auto leveler has worked quite well with the exception of the leak caused by the crack in the PVC fitting. What a ridiculous amount of hassle caused by one small part that isn't replaceable without major destruction. I think they're going to have to remove at least one section of the deck, I don't see any other way. What a mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.