Austin, TX - Above Ground Salt Water Pool in Canyon - Construction Started 09/30/19

The bubblers-have you turned the valves so all of the pump power goes to them and let them rip yet??? Little man will LOVE that!!

Yes! Pretty much an everyday affair. Our bubblers are fed off the main VSF, so I can basically run them without using another pump. My fountains (yet to be delivered) are on their on SuperFlo. I actually leave the bubblers on when the pump runs, not quite in max, but it helps keep the water on the splash pad to move around, it also keeps my chlorine puck vessel from beaching on the splash pad.

It's 98F today in Austin, should be a great day for the pool. Water temps yesterday evening were 76F, chilly but quite nice when it's 90 outside.

Here are some pics:

2020-04-23_16-35-13.jpg2020-04-23_17-48-37.jpg

Bubbler at about 50% valve opening:
2020-04-23_17-48-48.jpg2020-04-23_17-49-06.jpg2020-04-23_17-49-23.jpg

Bubblers at 75% and me supervising!
2020-04-19_16-05-59(1).jpg

Last edited:
I think they are doing a slow build of CYA while waiting for plaster to cure before turning on a SWG. OK to use pucks when you know the results.

This is correct. We have no salt yet and chlorine is literally evaporating immediately due to no CYA. That’s just a slow release. It’ll be gone when we get salt in and the chlorinate going.

Last edited:
Reactions: chazas
I’m adding 10% liquid daily as well but it’s basically gone by time I test the next day. I added 2 today. We are going to bring CYA up early next week as the tabs aren’t producing anything meaningful.

I would think about getting the powder CYA and add it tonight. That way you will not be losing so much FC every day. Do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. We have found from much experimenting it is better to put it in a sock (like you wear) with NO holes in it LOL. Hang it over the side of the pool on the end of a broom stick or such right in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock as much as you want to help it dissolve. I would leave the pump on low to help mix it all in good.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Pv2
I would think about getting the powder CYA and add it tonight. That way you will not be losing so much FC every day. Do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. We have found from much experimenting it is better to put it in a sock (like you wear) with NO holes in it LOL. Hang it over the side of the pool on the end of a broom stick or such right in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock as much as you want to help it dissolve. I would leave the pump on low to help mix it all in good.

Kim:kim:

I don’t have any is the issue. With the weekend, Covid I’m just going to dump chlorine. One other issue I’m facing is my PB maintains my pool and has contracted with a pool guy to maintain my pool for 6 months. He’s been not great at keeping chemicals, he knows what he’s doing but he doesn’t really take it seriously.

That said he’s providing chemicals so also trying to balance that with him and the PB. I’ve instructed him to bring CYA on Monday.

Effectively, trying to milk him for as much product as possible. After a month or two I’ll probably reduce it to just a chemical delivery service.

It’ll be a few bottles to get me til Monday. I’m using the TF100 and Pool Math now so that’s got me somewhat of a strategy.

Reactions: Pv2 and kimkats
He’s been not great at keeping chemicals, he knows what he’s doing but he doesn’t really take it seriously.
That's a shame, but at least you're on top of things. :goodjob: Speaking of being on top ... that view of yours .... wow! On top of the world! Or ..... Hill country, or something. Beautiful pool and view. Finished just in time. Today the temps picked-up in true TX fashion. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a shame, but at least you're on top of things. :goodjob: Speaking of being on top ... that view of yours .... wow! On top of the world! Or ..... Hill country, or something. Beautiful pool and view. Finished just in time. Today the temps picked-up in true TX fashion. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

Yeah it’s a shame. Another member her cautioned me on my PB’s pool guy, and that member has been teaching me the ropes. When he had his pool built, the guy was only contracted for a month basically to program automation and get the start up and SWG going. It’s now a 6 month throw in. I think the guy is just more reactive than proactive. I always intended to do this myself, but I’ll take what I can get from him. He has a cool pool vacuum and is supposed to deliver my robot next week. If he can keep my stocked up on chems for free, I’ll take it.

Thanks for the complements on the pool. Yes, we bought this house for the location and view. Ironically, it’s not in the “Hill Country” it’s in the inner loop. Basically Cat Mountain, so we are super close to downtown, it’s the best of both worlds. 1 acre, views, etc. I underestimated the challenge and cost of building on this property, but it’s all worth it. Homes with nice pools in this neighborhood go like hot cakes for premiums, so it was worth spending the extra to make it epic. Finally, being above the trees but having the trees around makes the cleanup a lot easier while still giving you the feeling of being around trees. Shade is artificially provided by the umbrellas which have worked out better than I could’ve ever imagined. It’s 98 right now, water temp of 78. It could be worse. The neighbors are insanely jealous right now!

Yeah it’s a shame. Another member her cautioned me on my PB’s pool guy, and that member has been teaching me the ropes. When he had his pool built, the guy was only contracted for a month basically to program automation and get the start up and SWG going. It’s now a 6 month throw in. I think the guy is just more reactive than proactive. I always intended to do this myself, but I’ll take what I can get from him. He has a cool pool vacuum and is supposed to deliver my robot next week. If he can keep my stocked up on chems for free, I’ll take it.

Thanks for the complements on the pool. Yes, we bought this house for the location and view. Ironically, it’s not in the “Hill Country” it’s in the inner loop. Basically Cat Mountain, so we are super close to downtown, it’s the best of both worlds. 1 acre, views, etc. I underestimated the challenge and cost of building on this property, but it’s all worth it. Homes with nice pools in this neighborhood go like hot cakes for premiums, so it was worth spending the extra to make it epic. Finally, being above the trees but having the trees around makes the cleanup a lot easier while still giving you the feeling of being around trees. Shade is artificially provided by the umbrellas which have worked out better than I could’ve ever imagined. It’s 98 right now, water temp of 78. It could be worse. The neighbors are insanely jealous right now!
absolutely beautiful!!

Reactions: DB-Cooper
I plead the 5th !?!

Good Answer! We also had to put “the cost of some pool builds” into ensuring we have minimal, if any, impact from the perspective of the “100 year flood” into account and then build the pool.
Your pool and surroundings are beautiful and the memories of your family, friends and tagalongs enjoying over the years, priceless.
Congratulations!

Reactions: DB-Cooper
My bathroom is making progress, my kitchen finish out is planned for this week. Conservatively, I think I'll be fully operational by Memorial Day. Here are some photos, including night shots (with GloBrites):

Last Friday, it was 98F:
2020-04-24_18-28-46.jpg

Dusk:
2020-04-27_20-25-50.jpg
Kind of creepy:
2020-04-27_20-29-58.jpg

Dusk with no lights:
2020-04-27_20-38-47.jpg

Scary:
2020-04-27_20-39-33.jpg

Color Changing:
2020-04-27_20-40-29.jpg

2020-04-27_20-41-40.jpg2020-04-27_20-42-00.jpg

Prowler 920 is running. It's seeming to do a fine job, no issues with the walls and can clean the steps as well:

2020-04-28_15-55-41.jpg2020-04-28_15-57-47.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.