Austin, TX - Above Ground Salt Water Pool in Canyon - Construction Started 09/30/19

WOW!!!! I think this is the nicest pool I have seen on these forums yet. So gorgeous!!!

I appreciate that, I'd beg to differ, I've seen some pretty incredible builds, but given the efforts, heartache and headaches, it's refreshing to hear.

Once everything is painted and finished out, I'm sure it'll look nicer, it's just taking forever. I made great progress this week on getting my walkway to the pool started so it's not an offroad mud pit going to the equipment pad. Will post updates later.

What a great pool build.. I lived in Canyon Creek for 18 years and we had a nice, sweet Cody Pool, did the job.. moved away and now are back and building a new house a bit north of Steiner and CC, lower taxes and less traffic as we don't work anymore. A few things, I think your having the family member and the people here really ensured you have a well built pool. I, like many many people in Austin have a horrible horrible etc on ending pool story from the mid 2000s on replastering my pool and changes.. We are going to build the pool the same time as the house is going up so my pool builder and builder can 'share' costs, not that I noticed a big change in price from one builder to another :) I love that knife edge thing, gives the illusion of a negative edge without having to worry too much about the littlel getting bigger and going over.. I think this builder of yours is very knowledgeable. One of my neighbors had a house on the rim in CC and they builder a raised pool like yours and they had trouble with cracks but it was before these times of being able to learn on the web. love your tile.. I am curious thou, is the city saying anything about building near the window of your garage? we had trouble in 97 getting a gas line near a window and having the pool equipment near a window, just wondering I'm sure the builder knows what he/she is doing..

Congrats, it's going to be a GREAT summer for you..

What a great pool build.. I lived in Canyon Creek for 18 years and we had a nice, sweet Cody Pool, did the job.. moved away and now are back and building a new house a bit north of Steiner and CC, lower taxes and less traffic as we don't work anymore. A few things, I think your having the family member and the people here really ensured you have a well built pool. I, like many many people in Austin have a horrible horrible etc on ending pool story from the mid 2000s on replastering my pool and changes.. We are going to build the pool the same time as the house is going up so my pool builder and builder can 'share' costs, not that I noticed a big change in price from one builder to another :) I love that knife edge thing, gives the illusion of a negative edge without having to worry too much about the littlel getting bigger and going over.. I think this builder of yours is very knowledgeable. One of my neighbors had a house on the rim in CC and they builder a raised pool like yours and they had trouble with cracks but it was before these times of being able to learn on the web. love your tile.. I am curious thou, is the city saying anything about building near the window of your garage? we had trouble in 97 getting a gas line near a window and having the pool equipment near a window, just wondering I'm sure the builder knows what he/she is doing..

Congrats, it's going to be a GREAT summer for you..

Thanks, yeah just be careful, permitting is loose out there, and there was another thread where a guys pool just started to fall off from his house. They had to do serious work to fix it, it's dialoged somewhere earlier in my post. He's also in SR.

Had to pull a permit for my mini-split which is going in on Friday. Insulation is also in, and I finally got the masons out to give me an entrance to the pool from the equipment pad and my side yard. I'm happy with how it came out. It's not finished, but being bored, I'll post a quick update. Split face will be added to where you can see the plaster now. There's still some plumbing sewer work that needs to be done, so there's one area that will be filled with river rock. I'm having the mason build a stairway down from the current deck to that side of the pool given I'm happy with the work.

Now I don't have a mud slide everytime it rains, and I don't have to risk and ankle sprain crawling over by the equipment:

2020-05-21_17-44-20.jpg

Also, perhaps some help. Under my concrete coping on the waterline tile, I have some white stuff. I can scrape it off with my finger nail, but not with a plastic brush. Is there a chemical good to get this white stuff off that isn't harmful to the water/tile/concrete? It might be from the concrete or grout, it's only in this one area where the spa cast concrete coping is. The similar but different pool concrete coping is not doing this, however, the pool waterline isn't as tall and may be getting regular water hitting it where the swim up bar is taller and this stays basically dry 100% of the time:

2020-05-30_15-58-03.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks, makes sense, it's probably the grout. I imagine what's happening is that top coping gets a lot of water on it, mostly from my son splashing in the spa. It flows down the side of the coping and hits the grout, hence leaving those running lines. Seems I could seal the grout. Outside of the cosmetic issue (will try a little vinegar and a stronger wire brush), is there any actual concern?

It's purely cosmetic. There are ideas on how to make it stop in that link I posted (like Hydrophobic Sealant ).

First, thakns for the quick reply. Second, yeah saw that, but read elsewhere sealants can cause discoloration. It's only this area, quite small. I'll get some gloves and the good ole acid and give her a good scrub.

Reactions: RMcGirr83
Looking good! Glad it is all coming together for you.

How slippery would you say those tumbled travertine steps are when wet, heading up to your equipment? We are putting in a slide that will have steps built to get to the top of the slide. The PB is concerned about using tumbled travertine for the steps because he thinks they will be slippery when wet. What is your opinion?

Looking good! Glad it is all coming together for you.

How slippery would you say those tumbled travertine steps are when wet, heading up to your equipment? We are putting in a slide that will have steps built to get to the top of the slide. The PB is concerned about using tumbled travertine for the steps because he thinks they will be slippery when wet. What is your opinion?
Not bad at all. My entire deck is that way. There’s actually good traction on it even when wet. That said, more often than not when on it I’m wearing sandals because it’s rocks at the top. But overall the travertine hasn’t been an issue. My other stair case is travertine and I go down there to water the trees a lot in soaking wet bare feet.

Not bad at all. My entire deck is that way. There’s actually good traction on it even when wet. That said, more often than not when on it I’m wearing sandals because it’s rocks at the top. But overall the travertine hasn’t been an issue. My other stair case is travertine and I go down there to water the trees a lot in soaking wet bare feet.

Awesome, thanks for the insight!

Reactions: DB-Cooper
Man, this is one of the prettiest pools I think I've ever seen. The knife edge and the view just make it spectacular! Love the transformation! Thanks for sharing!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.