Arduino Solution for Failed Pentair Intelliph

If you have any questions as to what IntelliPh is doing with that chlorinator connection on RS485 its actually pretty simple.
In a nutshell there is a DPDT relay on the IntelliPh that disconnecs the comm wires from IntelliTouch, then it sends a series of RS485 packets on its on master channel to ensure the cell turns off and stays off. This is sent every few seconds with a wait response in between.
[16, 2, 80, 0][0][98, 16, 3]
[16, 2, 80, 17][0][115, 16, 3]
[16, 2, 80, 20][0][118, 16, 3]

Mine is 112.5 mL/min.
The motor on the pump had a label on it that said 24v. When I ran it at 19v (nominal power supply rating, not measured) it pumped 198mL/Min, and at 12 v it pumped 52mL/Min. The native controller probably runs it at 17v or so. Not important, as long as the voltage remains stable, the flow rate calibration will be stable.

One additional learning concerned the Hayward flow switch I bought and installed. I wanted to be sure the pool pump was running during acid adds. And just to doll things up a bit, I put an 8-strip of NeoPixel LEDs on my controller to show tha status of everything. And guess what (?!) --the flow switch stuck on even when the pool pump turned off. It's a clever design poorly executed: a reed switch embedded in a post within the pump flow is activated by a magnet attached to a paddle that get pushed into the post. There were two unrelated problems: the paddle stuck magnetically to the reed switch occasionally giving a false ON for the flow, and the switch circuit read 418 Ohms when the switch did manage to open!!! I had to put a 100 Ohm pullup resistor on the circuit, and read an analog voltage to make the logic work correctly. So what I thought was a fluff addition to my design actually headed off a serious problem. Everything's been working perfectly for about a week now, and the pool looks great again.

Again, thanks for all your guidance and help on this...Jack

Yeah I have regulated 24vdc power to the pump. There are two versions of that pump. I believe the older version has a higher flow rate. Although I am not certain, I believe it uses two rollers on the cartridge instead of 3. The newer pump uses 3 rollers has a lower flow rate. Although it doesn't really matter if you calibrate the pump in your algorithm. You will find the method of decrementing what you dispensed to be pretty darn accurate.

I use a flow switch on a globe flow cell. It works pretty well and uses a GPIO pin on the Pi with a 1k pulldown. The failure mode for that design is to fail off because it requires a small amount of water to push the weighted plunger up into the flow cell. The code executes using a latch timer as well so if there are any communication errors or the watchdog for the pin isn't reset it will force the pin low. Probably overkill but it does catch the cases were I am debugging and holding a breakpoint.

If you ever decide you want to start dosing based on demand, I have to say, that works pretty well and keeps a constant CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.