OREGONGIRL313

Jun 17, 2021
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
First timer here. Put up our free to us above ground pool in April, 16'X48" and bought a nice 2 bag sand filter to keep it clean. Decided on using the AquaSilk system. I also added a solar cover and a solar panel. I am in Oregon and we only get about 3 months of swimming weather if we are lucky. So it will sit unused more often than any other warmer state. We have well water. I've been getting my water tested by my pool company once a week since I put it up. The last thing to dial in was the harness. That has been brought up to appropriate levels.

My question is the level of my Biguanide Shock. Its been around 85 after I added it a month ago.
The range is 30-50 ppm. Is it fine at that level or do I need to get it to the 30-50 range? If I need to, how do I bring it down?
What is my weekly maintenance protocol to keep it sanitized?
The last thing I want is an out of control algae bloom or cloudiness to appear.

Attachments

• test results.png
    test results.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi and welcome to TFP! I have a link to share with you about how we care for our pools and teach others how to care for theirs:

You should note we use chlorine as our main "ingredient" for our pool care.

Welcome OG. I wouldnt worry too much about a high level of biguanide. the only way to reduce it quickly is to drain some water from the pool. But outdoors, it will get consumed over time so just dont add it for a few weeks. I would recommend you keep testing weekly or biweekly. Do keep adding your oxidizer and test that too. The oxidizer is usually more important to maintain than the biguanide, so keep those levels up.

My pool is indoor so it doesnt consume either of these as much, but I was lulled into a false sense of security last year, allowed my oxidizer to stay too low (like 10 ppm) for too long, and thats when I had a problem start with white water mold. So stay on top of the oxidizer :)

Oh, and just to be sure, I am referring to the hydrogen peroxide. Never add chlorine to a biguanide pool, it will react with the biguanide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.