AquaFresh stress

judith mac

Mar 3, 2019
Sydney
I have had the most stressful summer trying to control algae in aquafresh pool, which I have been using now for about 4 seasons without any issues. Rather than swimming I have been brushing and vacuuming and running filter almost constantly to try and kill the algae. I am spending a fortune on products and nothing works. Now I cannot get on top of the algae and the pool walls and floor feel slimy. I want to go back to chlorine pool and would appreciate any advice. Can I do it myself or should I have a pool expert do this for me? It is not a fancy pool - 40,000L above ground pool. Appreciate any advice.

Hi Judith and welcome, it’s a biguanidine pool or sanitizer. Have a look hear;
Trouble Free Pool

Chlorine is great for water sanitation while biquanidine is more commonly used as wound dressing or treatment in hospitals. If you put the MSD sheets side by side I would choose chlorine any day. Ive read exactly what you describe before, at about 4 years the wheels fall off with cloudy water and slimy walls.

Steve are you sure it is the same stuff as in the link? I always the two Bs mixed up. I just want to make sure it is not the B that needs a full drain and purge to clear.

It’s Baquacil, not bromine.

At 10,000 gallons (40,000 L) and the end of the swim season down under, you might consider just draining the pool down to a comfortable level to preserve liner integrity (usually abou 18 inches left) and then refill with fresh water and close. Don’t add any sanitizer or oxidizer or other “magic potions” from the pool store. Then open it up next spring and convert to chlorine then. By next spring the sanitizer should be gone and conversion will be a lot easier. Trying to donit now could take a week or more of grief and frustration.

Reactions: AUSpool and Leebo
The previous thread is AquaFresh; Aquafresh
Which from the MDS for the sanitiser, https://lochlor.com.au/image/catalog/pdf/Aquafresh Sanitiser.pdf , its a 20% Polyhexamethylene biguanidine solution.

I don’t know how much chlorine will be needed but Bunnings does a 15L exchange for $15.65. Late last year I organised a water rebate for 2000L @ $6.90 which for 40,000L would be ~$130.00 but I don’t know what the exact cost in Sydney is.

Edit: just been to Bunnings, the 15L exchange requires a $10 deposit per container.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.