Anyway I can get by with 1/2" polystyrene insulation board + tarp as base

I use 1 layer of 3M construction seaming tape, the wide roll, and it has always held for me.

Try to only butt factory edges as much as you can.

And to be more clear in my warning, after a year on EPS you are going to have a floor that would be described as lumpy. If you are going to mind that you should look at XPS or sand.

Reactions: h0va4life
I use 1 layer of 3M construction seaming tape, the wide roll, and it has always held for me.

Try to only butt factory edges as much as you can.

And to be more clear in my warning, after a year on EPS you are going to have a floor that would be described as lumpy. If you are going to mind that you should look at XPS or sand.
Thank you for the honest answer. Maybe I'll grab the 1" eps then top it off with the harbor freight mats?

I should be good about the edges since per my calculation 9 boards will cover 12x24 area.

I have the Bestway 12x24. I removed grass, leveled the area with 1 - 3" of sand, wet and compacted the sand and put down 1/2" sheets of XPS, taped with one layer of standard duct tape. This is my third season and while I haven't been in yet this year, I don't see any bumps, lumps or seams from the foam sheets.

Good luck with yours. This is one of the best purchases that I have ever made.

Reactions: h0va4life
I have the Bestway 12x24. I removed grass, leveled the area with 1 - 3" of sand, wet and compacted the sand and put down 1/2" sheets of XPS, taped with one layer of standard duct tape. This is my third season and while I haven't been in yet this year, I don't see any bumps, lumps or seams from the foam sheets.

Thank you for sharing!

Interesting, I thought you weren't supposed to add to the ground to level it, but dig out instead.

I wouldn’t look at it as spending more on the base, but as spending enough to get the most use as possible. I didn’t use foam, just level ground, heavy duty tarp, and gorilla pad. Didn’t care what it felt like - I wanted to prevent anything from breaking through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.