Anyone use these guys to repair your SWG system ?

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
I have had this one for at 6 years maybe more. Opened the pool and it was fine but 2 days later and no lights are on. I took it apart and found one on the wires on the power module board burned to the point the connector came off the board. My dilemma is replacing the Power module is $600, the entire controller unit is $1000. Having said that, I don't know how much life the cell has left. I am trying to find a local circuit board repair center to see if the wire can be re attached and give it a shot.
Having said all this, any advice is welcome. If I decide for a full replacement what do you guys suggest as far as a different system. I guess it will be close to 2K given my 28000 gallon pool.
Thanks in advance
Rich

Salt Solutions.
I called them and they were great on the phone. Says he thinks he can fix my Pool Pilot Dig 220. Had some kind of short, and the cheapest part replacement is $600 plus tax. They will inspect the internals and replace caps and relays and basically give it an overhaul for 250 plus shipping.

Anyone ever use them?
I leaning toward giving it a shot.

Thanks for any input.

Salt Solutions.
I called them and they were great on the phone. Says he thinks he can fix my Pool Pilot Dig 220. Had some kind of short, and the cheapest part replacement is $600 plus tax. They will inspect the internals and replace caps and relays and basically give it an overhaul for 250 plus shipping.

Anyone ever use them?
I leaning toward giving it a shot.

Thanks for any input.

See what these guys say...

Appreciate your responses, I did see those options, however since my system is about 7 years old and only 5 months per year the cell I hope has some life on it and the best economical choice would be repair. I actually think replacing the entire control unit would be my only other option and that is $1000. (A wire burned and lost the female connector)
I wish there was a way to determine the life left on my cell. It has been bullet proof up to this point.

I really am looking for any experiences with Salt Solutions. They seem knowledgeable and were great with me on the phone.

Thanks again

Seems like with everything so expensive that would be a good business model.

The biggest downside is it might take a couple of weeks but if you can get a dummy cell and use liquid chlorine might make sense

Seems like with everything so expensive that would be a good business model.

The biggest downside is it might take a couple of weeks but if you can get a dummy cell and use liquid chlorine might make sense
If I choose to fix it i would just leave the cell in, I disconnected the power from it so I can filter. Also I found I can get a replacement board for $424, and it is very plug n play. Just the worry if something else is wrong also, might be heading down a rabbit hole...But up until now it has been a very good unit.
The salt solution tech told me the cooling fans should run with the cell wires (which burned) are disconnected. I am going to see if they are and make a decision.
Thaks for all the suggestions.

Reactions: markayash
Appreciate your responses, I did see those options, however since my system is about 7 years old and only 5 months per year the cell I hope has some life on it and the best economical choice would be repair. I actually think replacing the entire control unit would be my only other option and that is $1000. (A wire burned and lost the female connector)
I wish there was a way to determine the life left on my cell. It has been bullet proof up to this point.

I really am looking for any experiences with Salt Solutions. They seem knowledgeable and were great with me on the phone.

Thanks again
I ordered a replacement T-15 cell from them when my old one went bad last year and was only generating on one polarity. It is a refurbished cell by them, but I did the test with checking salt reading vs salt measurement on my test kit and it is has been performing excellent. I sent them my old one for core charge refund. I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hers a pic of the board, you can see inside the bottom blue circle where it burned. The blue circle above shows the burned wire. Supposedly it only affects powering the cell. I will test it to see if that's true. If so I think I will just buy the new board and swap it out. I wish I knew how much life is left on the cell, used about 6 years 5 months out of the year, and thanks to this site my water has been close to perfect.

Unknown.jpeg

I like the idea of companies repairing stuff vs throwing it away.
My sons Civic had a bad ABS module and a new one was $1100 and on national backorder. Found a company that rebuilds them for $300. Worked out great since we have a spare car.

I was hesitant at first also but glad I did.

So went with a new board over the repair route. With the holiday this weekend there is a good chance I will get the new part before the weekend. And with no guarantee that the repair could be done with out Salt Solutions getting their hands on it. Because of the damage to the board I didn't think it was worth the risk when the difference between an all new part and a repair was around $200.
Having said that both Salt Solutions and Salt Pool Guys went above and beyond taking time and explaining the options.
Fingers crossed I made the right decision.

So installed the new board last night. The unit is up and running, now debating getting a new cell and the suggested new cell cable just in case. I tested the water last night and chlorine reading was barely noticeable. But when I took a water sample from the return water it showed around 5. This morning still around zero but throughout the whole time water passes the eye test. Also no CC per the test. I guess it is producing enough to maintain for now.
I added a sleeve of shock to give it a boost and put the SWG on 24 boost.

Any suggestions ? I think/hope on the path to a good fix.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.