Any risk in running pump in 10 degree weather without a heater?

I believe you noted you have an Easytouch panel (and screen logic is not installed yet) - to change your pump speed from the panel look at this document and page 27 I believe.

https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/product-related/product-manuals/pool-and-spa-equipment/easytouch/EasyTouch 8 and 4 Pool and Spa Indoor Control Panel Installation-Users Guide_English.pdf

As noted by others it uses the "Pool" circuit pump speed for the speed of Freeze Protection, that is likely the only one you should have to worry about for now.

If you don't know which pumps or equipment you have I'd be trying to reach the pool company. Or post pictures here, many are willing to continue to help.

Ok great, thanks.

I was able just now to go outside to the panel, and turned Pump #1 [POOL] on Circuit 1 up to 3100 RPM. I think it goes up to 3450, but I figured hopefully 3100 is plenty high, unless somebody here thinks I might as well crank it up higher, then I will.

Reactions: GDN
Ok great, thanks.

I was able just now to go outside to the panel, and turned Pump #1 [POOL] on Circuit 1 up to 3100 RPM. I think it goes up to 3450, but I figured hopefully 3100 is plenty high, unless somebody here thinks I might as well crank it up higher, then I will.
That is a good flow and saves the top end of the pump. To be honest, if 3100 doesn't save you, 3450 likely won't either. Best of luck with it. You've likely done all you can until ice were to form, then it is shut it down and pull the plugs.

We called it quits and cut the whole pool circuit, drained the pump and filter and put pool noodle pieces in the skimmers. Even at 3100 RPM we had a thick layer of slush on the pool. And tomorrow and Tuesday are the 'really' cold days. Not getting above freezing until Friday or Saturday...just seemed like a lost cause and didn't want to damage the equipment AND the pool. The equipment was doing great...the tarp and heating lamps working like a champ. We live on a greenbelt so no wind protection on one long side of the house...wasn't helping at all with below zero wind chills. So now we just pray we don't get skimmer or plaster damage, especially the tanning ledge. Worrying about this has taken all the fun out of this snow event. And now notices to lower our thermostats to 64 because of widespread low gas pressure, and high probability of power loss and subsequent water loss. Best wishes to all of you...hoping for no major damage....

first winter with a pool! Filter is running on freeze protect, but there is a layer of slushy ice over about 1/3 of the pool. We have a generator so should be ok in the event of a power outage. Water temp is 30 (!) on the omni app on my phone.
If not worried about a power outage, should we be ok if the filter just stays running? if there is slushy ice over the top, but water moving fine underneath, should that be ok?

Well, no luck. My faucets froze as well, even though I covered them. No way to get water out there. And I can't tell which breaker goes to it. One says garage and outside outlets, I flipped it and my hot water heater went off so I flipped it back real quick (hope that didn't mess anything else up). I don't have a tarp. I am stuck i guess till my husband gets back in town. Im sure this is gonna cost me. 😔
I use the kind of plastic table cloths we use in the summer time as tarps in the winter. Plastic is on one side.. some kind of funky felt on the other. And then some christmas lights under the "tarp"... If I had to leave my pool pump on I think it would generate enough heat from operation all on its own. I've only had to tarp my pool equipment once. And never has the pool frozen over. This must be torture for those that are experiencing it for the first time. Hang in there!

Are the pipes on our water feature wall doomed if we end up having to drain the pump and filter?

The power has gone out for the second time in about an hour. I only woke up when it came back on after the first time and everything appeared to still be in working order. I think we’re ok if the power comes back on within a few minutes but not if it’s an extended outage. It feels like I’m playing chicken with the pipes and the electric company.

ETA: okay, our power came back on immediately after I posted, but the question still stands. Our area is having rolling outages and we haven’t hit our lows yet. Nevermind, it’s out again.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN and joboo7777
2:30am and our power went out, hubby and I raced outside to pull the drain plugs on heater, pumps (main and waterfall), and filter. I remembered later to go completely open the inlet valves for the skimmers.
My question is, I have those clear check valve things with the flapper that I think is supposed to prevent the water from flowing backwards. Do I need to remove each of those? Each one has like 8 screws. Or will it be ok to just leave them alone?
I don’t have skimmer gizmos that people are talking about.
What else do I need to do?

Are the pipes on our water feature wall doomed if we end up having to drain the pump and filter?

The power has gone out for the second time in about an hour. I only woke up when it came back on after the first time and everything appeared to still be in working order. I think we’re ok if the power comes back on within a few minutes but not if it’s an extended outage. It feels like I’m playing chicken with the pipes and the electric company.

ETA: okay, our power came back on immediately after I posted, but the question still stands. Our area is having rolling outages and we haven’t hit our lows yet. Nevermind, it’s out again.
With any good luck the water will run back out of the pipes, but it will all depend on the plumbing and how protected they are and if the water has anywhere to expand to as it freezes. It can also depend on if they are higher than your pump, etc. You definitely hope that the rolling outages don't last more than 30 minutes.

I am up working an overnight SW implementation and I've had friends from Southlake to Plano to even just a few streets away report outages, mine is likely coming, but I don't know how they choose the neighborhood and for how long.

Reactions: Green25
I'm bunkering down here in Texas... and this is a little off topic, but just wanted to thank any and all of you that reached out in help for me and others in this thread. I'm truly grateful for you. Thanks for putting up with these odd times for those of us experiencing record low temps, and national emergency types of attention,

Again, I'm really thankful, and grateful for your input on things, no matter big or small issue, whether it be my Q's or somebody else's Q's.... it's all appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
@GDN ours has gone out three times for brief 15-20 minute periods. The aqualink temp has been 36-37 so we may try to ride it out until the morning. (WFH is going to be a nightmare tomorrow if the outages keep up.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@GDN ours has gone out three times for brief 15-20 minute periods. The aqualink temp has been 36-37 so we may try to ride it out until the morning. (WFH is going to be a nightmare tomorrow if the outages keep up.)

Just went out for 2nd time in 90 minutes. Water at 32-33. First time pump came back on without issue. Hoping to dodge a 2nd bullet. I also ran some hot water from washer machine connection to pool with a regular garden hose. That raised the temp a degree. I have a utility pump so I may alternate hot water with pumping out water to keep level in check.

When is the best time to refill and restart the equipment once it has been drained? After the ice in the pool melts or when the air temp gets back up closer to freezing?

Thank you again to everyone who has taken the time to educate and calm new pool owners like me. We lost power for good about 5 hours ago and decided to pull the plug. Such a bummer. The equipment pad temp had been holding pretty steady under the tarp and I think we would have been okay otherwise, but luckily (I think) we knew what to do.

When is the best time to refill and restart the equipment once it has been drained? After the ice in the pool melts or when the air temp gets back up closer to freezing?

There is no reason to rush to restart the pool. The pool will sit dormant until the water temperature is above 60F which will take days. Let things settle down, warm up, and then get the pool going.

Reactions: GDN and Green25
Funny you mention Tucson. After our last ice storm that absolutely devastated our landscape (we lost about 30 mature trees) I told my wife I was over this and we are moving to Tucson. It's hard to destroy rocks, dirt, and sand. ;)
Tucson is odd. Been here three years and I am still not used to it. It's hard to get anything done here. BUT, I narrowly missed the derecho in Iowa, and I look at the winter there this year, and even though I love and miss the Midwest, I don't ever seeing going back there... So yeah, expect a different type of society here (and probably a lot different) than in OKC.

But I do love the scenery, the weather and the dry air most of the time. Maybe someday I'll actually settle in here and become part of it but I still don't really feel like we fit in... Maybe when I retire and move back out to the country...As for "people"... I don't like them anywhere....

And as for future years being cold or warm. I would put money on warming up because the deep solar minimums are ending for the next 10 years or so... If you survive this one, you are probably going to be okay in future years. It's even only going to be in the high 50s here this week in Tucson... If you do come here there is a fairly large presence on the board of Tucsonans.

Tucson is odd. Been here three years and I am still not used to it. It's hard to get anything done here. BUT, I narrowly missed the derecho in Iowa, and I look at the winter there this year, and even though I love and miss the Midwest, I don't ever seeing going back there... So yeah, expect a different type of society here (and probably a lot different) than in OKC.

But I do love the scenery, the weather and the dry air most of the time. Maybe someday I'll actually settle in here and become part of it but I still don't really feel like we fit in... Maybe when I retire and move back out to the country...As for "people"... I don't like them anywhere....

And as for future years being cold or warm. I would put money on warming up because the deep solar minimums are ending for the next 10 years or so... If you survive this one, you are probably going to be okay in future years. It's even only going to be in the high 50s here this week in Tucson... If you do come here there is a fairly large presence on the board of Tucsonans.
I have enjoyed visiting Tucson and as much as I would enjoy it right now, I don't think summer would be very pleasant. ;)

I do like OKC and as much as it would surprise folks, there is quite the mixed-nut variety of people. But I agree, I am not a huge fan of large groups of people ANYWHERE and while we live in the OKC limits, we are on the very edge and we are about at country as you get in Oklahoma....a little acreage, a well and a septic system. But, we have the conveniences of a pretty big city about 20 minutes away so it's really the best of both worlds. And yes, this winter is one for the record books and I don't expect to deal with this every year.

I finally got tired of worrying about it and pulled all drain plugs, shut off power, and put plastic bottles in the skimmers. Now I'm going to have a beer and cross my fingers.
I think that is a wise decision. I am debating doing the same as I am just not sure I want to keep trying to battle mother nature. As we all know, she tends to win.

Rolling blackouts just announced in oklahoma city. I kept my pool open with heat tape around exposed pipes and blankets over exposed equipment. Water is still flowing thru the pump. I am ready to pull plugs to equipment if power is shut off. QUESTION - should I leave power off and plugs out if power is off for an hour or 2 but them comes back on? If power comes back on should I try replacing plugs and powering back on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.