Any harm at running SWG at 100%?

Could also be easily proved by Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Good news. Passed OCLT. FC=9.5 CC=0 both during evening and morning test. Tested twice each time.
You may find that the cell will develop scale much faster when running at 100% even when accounting for run time.
I see what you mean. I have the pump running alone for one hour before the SWG turns on and one hour after the SWG turns off to 1) help with the scaling issue 2) as another check that my SWG runs while my pump is on in case there’s ever a clock issue.

Seems best path forward is to continue monitoring the FC and adjust the SWG run time and % as needed. Spring is a tricky time here because we get extra sunny days mixed with some overcast days. And this shoulder season also leads to the start of some heated pool use.

Good news. Passed OCLT. FC=9.5 CC=0 both during evening and morning test. Tested twice each time.
Now we know. Carry on. (y)

Revisit the CYA level while you're at it.

If it helps any, I'm seeing high loss as well. It warmed up early this year and the blazing sun seems to be taking its toll. I will be doing my own OCLT soon, then revisiting the CYA after.

Reactions: kul
Your FC level, from PoolMath Logs, is 9.5 ppm which 13.6% of CYA (70 ppm). Seems a bit high for LA. I target around 7% and can keep algae at bay fairly easily.

Revisit the CYA level while you're at it.
I added more cya a week and a half ago. It was initially at 30 and now is at 70. I checked it last week and checked again yesterday when I ran all the tests and it remains at 70 so CYA should be good.
Your FC level, from PoolMath Logs, is 9.5 ppm which 13.6% of CYA (70 ppm). Seems a bit high for LA. I target around 7% and can keep algae at bay fairly easily.
I fear algae trouble so my aim is always to keep it at the highest amount that is indicated on pool math which is currently showing it should be between 3-10 for CYA of 70. So I have been aiming for 10. However, I should probably take a chill pill.

Reactions: Newdude and mas985
So I have been aiming for 10. However, I should probably take a chill pill.
You know I'm a fan of wiggle room. So. :salut:
which is currently showing it should be between 3-10
3 is min and we never want to play kissy face there. So yes, it should be 'above 3', but that doesn't tell the proper story IMO.

By the way @Newdude i just tried to spy your Poolmath logs and got fooled. 😆 why the secret keeping?! Are you adding something special to your pool?! 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
By the way @Newdude i just tried to spy your Poolmath logs and got fooled. 😆 why the secret keeping?! Are you adding something special to your pool?! 😆

He seems to be anti-authority and refuses to provide a signature with his equipment either.

I wonder if he is a poser really living in his mothers basement.

why the secret keeping?!
A northeast pool makes perfect water fall from the sky and flow from the tap. Being vinyl, CH isn't a thing either. The only thing I need to track is FC, and it's hot so whether it's a 10 or a 12 isn't of much importance.

Salt and CYA need an occasional topping off but again it's minor at most.

Welp @kul, twinsies with the OCLT. :cheers:

I came home to 6.5 FC today. SIX. POINT. FIVE. I'm OK now but it took a while. Thank you for your concern. :ROFLMAO:

I was at 12 or 13 just a couple days ago, and had been for some time so I'm 99% it's not algae, but when in doubt OCLT, so here we go.

Then I checked the CYA and I could tell right away from looking at the side of the tube it was low. It was almost clear when filling to the 10s. It's somewhere around a 30 so I probably wasn't retaining what I was making. I have 6 lbs of CYA all Tshirt-ed up so it can hang in the morning upon a good AM test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added more cya a week and a half ago. It was initially at 30 and now is at 70. I checked it last week and checked again yesterday when I ran all the tests and it remains at 70 so CYA should be good.

I fear algae trouble so my aim is always to keep it at the highest amount that is indicated on pool math which is currently showing it should be between 3-10 for CYA of 70. So I have been aiming for 10. However, I should probably take a chill pill.
Since you have a little buffer in your FC, why not try an FC daily loss test. Shut down your SWG, test FC, then test 24 hours later.

Reactions: kul and Newdude
Welp @kul, twinsies
Sorry to hear it! For sure twinsies because I had a similar CYA scenario as well a week and a half ago. I doubt it’s algae for you too. We just need to get our SWG in sync with the FC loss a little bit which is difficult during this tricky season where several days are sunny then sometimes several days are overcast.
try an FC daily loss test. Shut down your SWG, test FC, then test 24 hours later.
Great idea! Would be interesting to know. Though I wonder if I can just rely on that my SWG produces 4 FC a day and go from there. On 5/2 I had 6.5 and 5/3 had 7.5. I checked at 2pm each day. So seems I lost 3 FC in 24 hours that time. This makes sense because during these days pool was heated and cover was not in use the whole time. I’m sure it’s variable between the cloudy and full sun days.

Anyhow I am a sucker for running tests so will try with the SWG off soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
. I doubt it’s algae for you too.
OCLT passed with .5 or 0 loss (mind may have been playing tricks on me) and 0 CC. CYA is soaking and will squish out after work if it's ready.
Anyhow I am a sucker for running tests
We trained you well, if I do say so myself. :cheers: