Another Slow Slammer

Remember...... everybody likes the visible progress through the first few stages. The last part gets us all. It’s pretty clear but not quite there and seems to take forever !!! Don’t lose hope when it seems to stall at the very end. Have a beverage. Keep the FC up and the filter filtering. It’s much easier at that point so just let it do it’s thing if it takes a couple days or a week more.

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
yours is going to take some time because you have zeolite instead of sand... no help from DE for you.... But it will get done and that is all that matters :)

Outside of the FC level and chemistry, looking at your pics I'm just curious do you have 1.5" piping? That looks like an old style Hayward Super Pump (w/ Century motor) in the pic above.

I'm just wondering if you're not getting good flow as this process seems to be taking forever. When we bought our house last June I went through something similar to what you're experiencing although admittedly not quite as extreme. We had a Super Pump and it was making a lot of noise and appeared to be doing it's thing, but I later discovered it wasn't really moving much water. Of course, being a newbie I also didn't realize that the water through the lid should basically be clear and filled to the top with very few bubbles or a pocket of air. Anyway, I ordered a $15 seal kit off of Amazon or eBay and rebuilt it in about 30 minutes. I discovered the motor shaft seal was shot and the lid gasket was also not in good shape. Post rebuild the pump was moving significantly more water and the pool cleared up in about a day or two.

I was also getting about a 20psi reading with 1.5" piping and the 1.5hp Super Pump.

@roblock - Follow the advice in this forum, and you'll be swimming in no time. Some really knowledgeable folks here.

@IUsedToSail - The main reason mine took so long is because my initial CYA reading was off. Once I realized that and addressed it, everything went really fast. That said, your assessment of my equipment is spot on. Hayward Super Pump, Century Motor, 1.5" piping. I had the same experience you had and made the same adjustments a few years ago. Night and day difference.

Quick update for today - there is still some cloudiness in the deep end, but I can clearly see the drain at the bottom for the first time (I could kind of see it yesterday, if I really used my imagination and squinted my eyes just right). Still SLAMMING until it's crystal clear, but I'm seeing good progress!

✅CC 0.5 or lower
✅Passed OCLT
❌Water is clear

Almost there, folks!

@roblock - Follow the advice in this forum, and you'll be swimming in no time. Some really knowledgeable folks here.

@IUsedToSail - The main reason mine took so long is because my initial CYA reading was off. Once I realized that and addressed it, everything went really fast. That said, your assessment of my equipment is spot on. Hayward Super Pump, Century Motor, 1.5" piping. I had the same experience you had and made the same adjustments a few years ago. Night and day difference.

Quick update for today - there is still some cloudiness in the deep end, but I can clearly see the drain at the bottom for the first time (I could kind of see it yesterday, if I really used my imagination and squinted my eyes just right). Still SLAMMING until it's crystal clear, but I'm seeing good progress!

✅CC 0.5 or lower
✅Passed OCLT
❌Water is clear

Almost there, folks!
Just got my test kit today so finally able to fully follow the slam! Hoping for some good progress now!!

Almost there, folks. This is my pool cleaner and drain, at the bottom of the deep end (8 feet). Still a tiny bit cloudy, so I'm still slamming, but I think I'll be at the point of letting the FC drop back down within a day or two. Thanks again for all the help!

ClearerPool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can see your drain!!! Whooo Hooo!
Keep up the patience & be sure u meet all 3 end of slam criteria before letting fc drift down. It’s been a long thread so i may have missed it - did u ever clean the drain covers, light niche etc?
Slam on & your Memorial Day weekend with your pool 😊

@Mdragger88 I cleaned the drain cover the best I could. No lights in the pool, so nothing to clean there. My CC has been 0.5 for a while now, and I've passed the OCLT multiple times, so I've just been waiting for the water to be perfectly clear. And I'm happy to report, today is the day. I will try to get a good picture (it's pretty breezy today, which is making it tricky), but the water is absolutely crystal clear. I swear, I could drop a dime into the bottom of the deep end and still be able to read the date on it.

✅CC 0.5 or lower
✅Passed OCLT
✅Water is clear

I am officially calling this SLAM complete! For good measure, I topped my FC back up to 16 one last time this morning, and now I'll let it drift down to normal levels. I really appreciate all the help you all have provided - turning my green, nasty swamp into a beautiful backyard oasis (or something like that). Can't wait to have friends over and start getting some good use out of it!

As I shift my focus to maintenance mode, I have a few questions (I am planning to follow the Basic Pool Care Schedule from Pool School).

1. For my daily FC tests, do I continue using the FAS-DPD test, or is that just for testing and maintaining higher levels of chlorine?
2. I currently have my robotic pool cleaner running daily (2.5 hours per day). Is that necessary, or should I scale back to weekly? I don't get much debris in my pool at all.
3. I currently have about $200 worth of powdered shock and chlorine tabs from the pool store. Will I ever have any use for them, or should I just let it go and accept the loss?

1). Yes. Test daily with the powder. The block test is just not reliable. It’s only good if you want to know there *is* chlorine in the water, not how much.

2). Weekly is good for most people. You will find your sweet spot eventually. You will need more often in the spring and fall as crud falls probably.

3). It lasts almost forever if stored cool/dry. Or you can fetch a pretty penny on FB marketplace / CL/ OfferUp.

Reactions: Mdragger88
@Mdragger88 I cleaned the drain cover the best I could. No lights in the pool, so nothing to clean there. My CC has been 0.5 for a while now, and I've passed the OCLT multiple times, so I've just been waiting for the water to be perfectly clear. And I'm happy to report, today is the day. I will try to get a good picture (it's pretty breezy today, which is making it tricky), but the water is absolutely crystal clear. I swear, I could drop a dime into the bottom of the deep end and still be able to read the date on it.

✅CC 0.5 or lower
✅Passed OCLT
✅Water is clear

I am officially calling this SLAM complete! For good measure, I topped my FC back up to 16 one last time this morning, and now I'll let it drift down to normal levels. I really appreciate all the help you all have provided - turning my green, nasty swamp into a beautiful backyard oasis (or something like that). Can't wait to have friends over and start getting some good use out of it!

As I shift my focus to maintenance mode, I have a few questions (I am planning to follow the Basic Pool Care Schedule from Pool School).

1. For my daily FC tests, do I continue using the FAS-DPD test, or is that just for testing and maintaining higher levels of chlorine?
2. I currently have my robotic pool cleaner running daily (2.5 hours per day). Is that necessary, or should I scale back to weekly? I don't get much debris in my pool at all.
3. I currently have about $200 worth of powdered shock and chlorine tabs from the pool store. Will I ever have any use for them, or should I just let it go and accept the loss?

Do you have a SWCG? I'm guessing you will have no problem at all unloading those tabs on Marketplace in mid July.

I have some friends/coworkers that are really poor planners, I have an extra bucket of tabs that I plan on giving out mid Summer as I know they will all be in a bind.

3). It lasts almost forever if stored cool/dry. Or you can fetch a pretty penny on FB marketplace / CL/ OfferUp.
I’ll second this. The craze around puck shortage has made people pay a lot for that stuff. I could have got twice as much as I did for mine, but sold it for what it was worth pre-shortage.

the princess and the frog happy dance GIF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.