Another Slow Slammer

Didn't make it up before the sun, but my 7:30am test showed FC at 14.5, so I topped it back up. Going to be away from the house for a while today, so I'm doing one more test/dose at 9:30. Based upon that test, I'm going to estimate how much to have my wife add while I'm gone and settle back up when I get home.

Here's this morning's picture - what a difference!

BluePool.jpg

@cowboycasey (y)(y)
@Flying Tivo Thanks for the reminder. I cleaned it this morning before I left for the day, and have been staying on top if throughout the SLAM. I do have a question about filter pressure, but I suspect that's for a different thread.

Was gone most of the day, but had my wife add some chlorine around noon, just to keep it from dropping too low. Measured at 5:30 and my FC was down to 12.5. Topped it back up to 16, and will stay on top of it the rest of the day. I'll be home all day tomorrow, so it won't be an issue. The pool was noticeably clearer when I got home this evening than it was when I left this morning. Great progress!

Was about an hour late for my next measurement, but the FC was down to 14 and I topped it back up to 16. Can clearly see the bottom of the shallow end, so just waiting for the cloudiness to clear up on the deep end. Feel like we're almost there!

@cowboycasey My filter pressure question is completely unrelated, but here goes. For the most part, my pressure hangs out at around 18psi, which seems a bit high (maybe not - and if that's the case, the rest of this may be moot). I've never actually seen it lower than that, and I rarely ever see it much higher than that, either. I backwash somewhat randomly, because I never see it get up into the 22-23psi range, which would be a 25% increase from 18. Last year, a guy at Pool Store Who Shall Not Be Named told me that the pressure was way too high, and it was likely because of the number of 90 degree turns in the pipes on the way back to the pool. I've attached a picture of the plumbing, so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

So I guess I have a few questions:

1. Is 18psi abnormally high?
2. Should I be waiting for it to hit 23psi before I backwash?
3. Should I redo this plumbing to reduce the number of 90 degree turns?

Filter.jpg

That's why it's been said time and again stay out of pool stores. The 90's are normal for what you have and that's not cause in effect. Every set up has it's own clean pressure # and that's what you base everything off. If it's 18 so be it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So Travis. Fair warning and a heads up. :)

You are either at, or darn neat at the stage where it gets hard. Ironically it’s actually very easy, but it’s hard to sit and watch it do...... nothing.

Once your FC holds fairly well and the pool is just cloudy, You have shifted from a chemistry fight to a filter-out-all-the-dead-algae fight. With a sand filter this takes the most time and it tests even the most patient of people. It is going to take many many ‘turnovers’ to filter all the water. For ease of math and discussion let’s just say that if you filter your entire pool volume, 50% of the water actually makes it through the filter. On the second pass, 50% of that water has already been filtered, and you still missed 50%. So the second pass only actually filters 25% of the water and with each subsequent ‘turnover’ that % gets cut in half.

It will take many many many turnovers to get it all but the last 5 days worth are miserable to watch. It’s almost clear, Just a bit hazy, Oh so close, but the progress came to a screeching halt. It’s easy to keep folks engaged when visual progress is happening daily and sometimes hourly.

So. Do. Not. Slack. Here. You will be keeping your FC up basically just in case at that stage, but if you slack you could end up back at square one. Brushing and Vac-ing are your friends. Some of the gunk will settle and brushing it will either get it back into the water to be killed more, or into the filter.

And patience. Lots and lots of patience. Be happy at that stage that you really aren’t doing much like you were at the beginning. Backwash at 25% rise in PSI, or earlier if it’s more convenient to do so. (No need to wake up overnight here).

You got this. Keep us posted.

FC holding steady at 16 this morning, so no addition. Here's the latest and greatest pic from the shallow end. Can clearly see the bottom (it's actually a bit clearer than this picture makes it look)! Getting close!

ClearerPool.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
@Newdude - Thanks for the heads-up. Pool Owner Patience is not my strong suit, but looking out in the back yard and seeing a clearing pool makes me extremely happy.

@Mdragger88 - I've had about half a dozen gauges over the years with the same results, so I don't think it's a broken gauge. The one that is currently on there is brand new, as of a few weeks ago.

FC holding steady at 16 this morning, so no addition. Here's the latest and greatest pic from the shallow end. Can clearly see the bottom (it's actually a bit clearer than this picture makes it look)! Getting close!

View attachment 336222
Go Dragons Den GIF by CBC

Reactions: newdude
I guess the system decided I did not need any updates from your thread.. :( Sorry I missed everything from when I asked about your problem... Looks like everyone answered it so no issues...

A dirty filter will filter better so let it go as it will help your SLAM clear faster.. :)

Reactions: newdude
Was about an hour late for my next measurement, but the FC was down to 14 and I topped it back up to 16. Can clearly see the bottom of the shallow end, so just waiting for the cloudiness to clear up on the deep end. Feel like we're almost there!

@cowboycasey My filter pressure question is completely unrelated, but here goes. For the most part, my pressure hangs out at around 18psi, which seems a bit high (maybe not - and if that's the case, the rest of this may be moot). I've never actually seen it lower than that, and I rarely ever see it much higher than that, either. I backwash somewhat randomly, because I never see it get up into the 22-23psi range, which would be a 25% increase from 18. Last year, a guy at Pool Store Who Shall Not Be Named told me that the pressure was way too high, and it was likely because of the number of 90 degree turns in the pipes on the way back to the pool. I've attached a picture of the plumbing, so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

So I guess I have a few questions:

1. Is 18psi abnormally high?
2. Should I be waiting for it to hit 23psi before I backwash?
3. Should I redo this plumbing to reduce the number of 90 degree turns?

View attachment 336087

filter pressure totally depends on pump speed and back pressure. If my pump is on higher speed, it will be around 20psi, but normal low speed pressure is around 8psi.

Haven't been updating this thread as frequently, but have been staying on top of the measuring and dosing the pool. Will hopefully be able to send a proper "after" picture within the next few days. The shallow end is clear and I can *almost* see the bottom of the deep end. The finish line is in sight!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.