Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

After years and years of diving and swimming, this is my tried and true swimmer's ear preventative

Recipe for Rod's ear beer:

Boric Acid
Isopropyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Hydrogen Peroxide

This will get the water out, kill any microbes yet not dry out the ear canal unnecessarily.
The last point is necessary if you are in the water every day. Alcohol alone will eventually remove all the protective wax and both irritate the ear and leave it open for infections.

My son had that problem this week,too. I am thinking it was from a late swim, then going to bed shortly after, as it was only in one ear. He got it twice last year, but doesn't like the ear plugs. (He's 13) we bought some OTC stuff the doctor recommended. He can't swim for a few days. He's not a big swimmer like my oldest, so he isn't complaining. He should be good to go when it hits 90 degrees next week!

Suz, have been enjoying your posts, I bet I aren't updating because I are out there enjoying your new oasis! (I hope that's why, ha ha!)

hmmm, enjoy a nice swim in a pool that I have been dreaming about for months, lounge outside with a cool beverage enjoying the beautiful new plants and the lovely sound of the water splashing over the spillway, OR go inside and sit at a computer and post pics.....

NO contest.

Paris, glad to hear she is better. Do you have anymore pics? Your water must be clear by now, and I would love to see those scuppers running. (I think they are called scuppers)

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for the congratulations! I don't have many more pictures. I think only 3 since those I posted. I will take more, but there's not much more to see I don't think.

Monday, I'll get the names of all the plants from the landscaper. Then I'll take photos of each section and list the plant names. I do also want to post pictures of the water features. But, they are pretty much like everyone else's water features.

I feel like I have newborn twins! The pool and the new plants. Now I see the advantage of have landscaping done a few weeks after the pool startup.

Even though we have a sprinkler system, the landscaper asked me to water everything twice a day by hand for the first week or so.

And I want to test the water at least once a day. So today I was out back for 7 and a half hours doing the first round of chores. Of course I jumped in several times to cool off.

And before I went outside this morning, I had to do (oh the horror) some house chores! While we were filling the pool, I didn't want to be using water for laundry. Anyway, I am way behind on all chores! And with friends dropping by, I really need to get the house picked up. So, it's time to get back on a routine!

I'm going to take a nap and go back out about 7:00. More watering plants, testing water, and brushing the plaster!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for the congratulations! I don't have many more pictures. I think only 3 since those I posted. I will take more, but there's not much more to see I don't think.

Monday, I'll get the names of all the plants from the landscaper. Then I'll take photos of each section and list the plant names. I do also want to post pictures of the water features. But, they are pretty much like everyone else's water features.

I feel like I have newborn twins! The pool and the new plants. Now I see the advantage of have landscaping done a few weeks after the pool startup.

Even though we have a sprinkler system, the landscaper asked me to water everything twice a day by hand for the first week or so.

And I want to test the water at least once a day. So today I was out back for 7 and a half hours doing the first round of chores. Of course I jumped in several times to cool off.

And before I went outside this morning, I had to do (oh the horror) some house chores! While we were filling the pool, I didn't want to be using water for laundry. Anyway, I am way behind on all chores! And with friends dropping by, I really need to get the house picked up. So, it's time to get back on a routine!

I'm going to take a nap and go back out about 7:00. More watering plants, testing water, and brushing the plaster!

Suz.

HOUSE work! OH NO! LOL

You KNOW Patrick is going to ask for your test results! Better post them up!

We DO want to see YOUR waterfalls and overfills! The sun shining on the spa overflow with water coming off of it.

The tanning ledge with the sun shining looking at the jewels!

HUGS and happy days ahead!

Kim

Suz I was just reading a thread about bleach prices. Here is what one said about Top Job from Walmart.

"Just in Walmart. Top Job 96oz for $1. = .17/oz, not bad. Only 6% I assume (no labeling), but lots of it with various date codes. Picked 10 with the highest code (15-181?) Maybe July 2015? At least 6% doesn't degrade as fast in my 90 degree garage.

Edit: Glad I didn't buy much. Looking at their MSDS:
Chemical Name CAS No. Weight-%
Sodium hypochlorite 7681-52-9 1 - 5*

It has no color and very little smell, I'd guess 1%"

OUCH! Not good. Greater value all the way.

Kim

Get Walmarts store brand "Greater Value". Make sure it is the 8.25%. They have started selling some that is called "cleaning Bleach" that is only 6%.

Suz do you have a pool store that is convenient to get to? A lot of them sells chlorine at 11% for cheap. The only thing is that you have to "rent" their jugs. The jugs are 2.5 gals. each. Do the math if you find any to see what your best deal is.

The only thing is that it might be hard to get the bigger jugs to and from the pool. They are quite heavy. That will be something to think about also.

HUGS and go water our tree!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sorry I've been away. Yesterday was soooo busy with watering the new plants, brushing the pool, testing the water, neighbors coming by (and staying which is wonderful - but I can't be online and be a good hostess at the same time).

The chlorine is very low and I'm working to get it where it should be.

The spa "leak" was what you guys thought - a valve - right word? - wasn't turned all the way to the correct position. The pool guy saw it immediately.

I'll take pictures when the sun is higher. But the water still isn't pretty.

And if you're into water chemistry, I've been getting help and posting on the section Testing and Balancing Your Water. Pretty dry stuff! :laughblue:

Suz.

I SHOULD be outside getting my water test numbers, but I went out in my jammies (old lady in jammies - not pretty) and took some pictures. The sun wasn't right, but you'll get the idea. I've never had people this interested in me - or rather what I have! I'm not quite sure what to make of it......

I'm working right now on the moving pictures from phone to computer to photo bucket to the post.
Suz.

Here is just a quick pic of my install of trees. I have been checking my water and added some shock and liquid acid and the water is perfect so far. Still all my colored flowers and sprinkler system updates and a little final grade work and the new grass will come in. Finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. God bless.. Hope all is well.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.