Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

OH and Suz you do NEED to run the different things like the bubblers and overfill each day to make sure there is water/bleach getting in/through every pipe.

I forgot to open my main drain valve one time after vacuuming one time and tested an increase in CC. What?????? I went back to basics to make sure everything was like it should be (this is where having pics of everything labeled pays off). I saw that the main drain valve was closed. Ahhhhhhhh no water moving through that pipe getting yucky! I opened it and shot chlorine down the main drain with a turkey baster. I raised my FC to SLAM for the day all was good by the next day!

Kim (my pool is the only thing I have ever used my turkey baster on LOL)

Thanks, Kim! I think what you mentioned about the pipes is what the pool guy was telling me. IF I remember correctly! He told me he had all the water features set to run 5 minutes everyday at noon. He said that was to prevent algae build up in some thingy. If it did build up, then the algae would shoot into the pool when I finally did turn on the water features.

Was he telling me what you were explaining?
Suz.

Suz, I'm over the moon for you!
Really fantastic. Can't really say what my favorite part is because it all works so well together.
Enjoy!!

Bmore: You're so kind! Thank you! And special from the Bmore Villa Estate!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeappers! It really sounds like he is filling you in good.

Just think if you had a new pool without TFP to guide you? SO much info given SO fast that some of it is not heard, lost, forgotten, etc.

Kim

I'd be in BIG trouble without TFP and all you guys! I'm so confused right now, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to brush, test, or pour in more chlorine!!! Lol! Just kidding, but it's almost true. When I reach the over-saturation point, I have to sit on the info for a night or so. By morning I'll get everything better sorted out in my mind.

I truly appreciate all of you!
Suz.

Bmore: You're so kind! Thank you! And special from the Bmore Villa Estate!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be in BIG trouble without TFP and all you guys! I'm so confused right now, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to brush, test, or pour in more chlorine!!! Lol! Just kidding, but it's almost true. When I reach the over-saturation point, I have to sit on the info for a night or so. By morning I'll get everything better sorted out in my mind.

I truly appreciate all of you!
Suz.

You'll get used to it and will be chiming in to help others soon. It's a whirlwind of information, like learning to drive on a stick shift. Practice makes perfect. Heck, I just learned something new today about sequestrants. And occasionally you learn some useless trivia to go along with it (like why your fingers get pruny in water).

Get to know PoolMath inside and out and always remember...if you have problems there are plenty of people here to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a bite and chew it good. Do not take another bite until the first one is done! We will walk you through everything. Some of the stuff on your testing thread was over my head so I can only guess how you are feeling!

HUGS!

Kim

You'll get used to it and will be chiming in to help others soon. It's a whirlwind of information, like learning to drive on a stick shift. Practice makes perfect. Heck, I just learned something new today about sequestrants. And occasionally you learn some useless trivia to go along with it (like why your fingers get pruny in water).

Get to know PoolMath inside and out and always remember...if you have problems there are plenty of people here to help!

You're very reassuring! It is a ton of info. And hey, I learned to drive on a stick shift, so no problem..... I hope!!! I think my biggest puzzle is sorting out all the different viewpoints. Not a bad thing. I have a feeling some of it is the same thing, just said a different way. So I've printed out everything from that thread for today. I did it for yesterday's info, and by the next morning I had things fairly straight in my head. I'm sure when I read things again in the morning, it will come together better. And as I usually do with many different approaches, I find a middle ground. Good old Middle Ground Suz!

Take a bite and chew it good. Do not take another bite until the first one is done! We will walk you through everything. Some of the stuff on your testing thread was over my head so I can only guess how you are feeling!

HUGS!

Kim

Wow Kim! That does make me feel better, because I regard you as one of the pros!!! You guys are so calm about it all. But from what I've read, if I don't do the correct things quickly enough, I could really mess up the plaster.

This starship seems to be a very stubborn and greedy girl for her chlorine!!!! What concerns me is that I didn't hear any issues with Sunbaby's or Paris's pool with startup. So did I mess up things the first day??? Sighhhhh.

Time to brush my baby and give her another test!!!
Thanks to all,
Suz.

You didn't mess anything up. No need to be hard on yourself. Every pool is different. Different materials, Application, fill water, sunlight (more direct or more shaded), bather load, aeration (water features and returns) and on and on.

Don't forget to test first thing in the morning in case you lost chlorine. At this point focus on FC, CC, pH, and TA at this point. There will be banter on the other stuff, but right now those four are your most important things. Like Devine Dave said...keep it simple to start.

OH I am sure their pools are eating chlorine and bouncing PH and TA all around just like yours. YOU have NO messed up your pool the first day. You are doing MORE than your PB told you to do so you are ahead of the game. Mark would have told you to do something if not doing it would cause harm.

You are so much like me-------I have to stand back and think things through and process it before I really understand. My poor husband LOL Most mornings I will come out with something off the wall first thing in the morning that we had talked about the night before but hey I had all night to think about it and figure it out!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ITR: Thank you!! I appreciate your encouragement!!! I've become a testing fool! In the old days, mothers had to weigh their babies after every feeding. I'm feeling the same way. At 4:30, her FC was back down to 0.5. So I shot for 5ppm with 24,000 gallons. And at 7:30, her FC was 4.0. I felt a small victory! So I'm off to pool math to set a goal of 5 again, and maybe keep some chlorine over night! That would be nice!

I know the sun is really burning on us here in Houston lately, but our pool really only gets full sun from noon to 4pm. But there are patches of sun before and after those times. I guess it's enough.

Thanks again for all your help!
Suz.

Suz, these last few days have had mine eating close to a gallon of 10% Chlorine a day. I have 11 til 3 direct sun.
Hungry is a relative term.
Since I am now in a rhythm with it, I am probably going to bring my CYN up higher in the range to see if I can protect it from the sun a little more.
Just start with the essentials and once you find your groove, you can start tuning your chemistry to your particular conditions.

haha I was confused for a second. I saw Paris' pool and was wondering why Suz has a play structure. I thought now that is an adventurous woman. Or maybe that is why she drives her son around because he isn't old enough to drive.

Congrats on the beautiful pool Suz. I love it. I love how giddy you seem about the water features they are great!

Suz, how long have you been retired? And what did you teach? I know this has got to be something you have been looking forward to for a while now.

Hi Janny! Somehow in all the craziness (just you wait, my friend!), I missed this post from you! No telling how many posts on my own thread I've missed. And I'm neglecting all my friends and their posts. Right now, I'm doing good to keep my head above water!!!! Lol!!!

I taught 25 years but had 28 credit with TRS. Some type of buy-back program, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. But it gave me 3 more years. I also taught preschool and at a Mother's Day Out program for 3 years when the boys were little - but of course, no credit there for TRS.

My degree was in Special Ed. And that's what I taught most of the years - all grade levels at one time or another. The last 10 years I moved over to be a 'regular ed homeroom' teacher - 4th and 5th grades. But as most Special Ed teachers will tell you, that meant I always had the classes weighted heavily with special needs kids. I loved that - the best of both worlds. Near the end, though, I hated the pressures from admin with the state testing. I felt we (at least in my district) lost our power to use our creativity with teaching. I look back at our SS projects I still have samples of and cry. It was so much more fun for the kids. (and for the teachers, too). Math was my favorite! Give me that old sequential and logical subject any day. Not that I'm a math whiz. But I was a pretty good whiz at TEACHING elementary/jr.high math. I enjoyed teaching everything, but science not so much! Ha! Now I'm testing the water chemistry everyday!!! You know what they say about payback!!!!

I retired 10 years ago due to a chronic family illness turned critical. It certainly wasn't planned and was difficult financially. But as always, everything works out, right?! My only issue with retirement is it seems I'm busier now than ever. What's up with that?!!!

I've wanted a pool my entire life! My dream for retirement was to have waterfront property on a river, lake, bay, etc. I just HAD to be on water. Dreams change, and mine is now being realized with this pool! I guess you could say I now own waterfront property - the chlorinated kind!!!! What I love about it is now I know what I'm swimming with!!!! So it worked out even better.

TMI, I'm sure, but that's what you get for asking!

Tag! You're it! Now it's your turn to tell me about you!!!!
Hugs,
Suz.

haha I was confused for a second. I saw Paris' pool and was wondering why Suz has a play structure. I thought now that is an adventurous woman. Or maybe that is why she drives her son around because he isn't old enough to drive.

Congrats on the beautiful pool Suz. I love it. I love how giddy you seem about the water features they are great!

Too funny!!! No kids here except us who are kids at heart! Paris and I 'met' on another pool forum before TFP. I moved over here where the action is, and Paris never started his own thread. Since we have the same PB, it worked beautifully for him to post here, also. That's why this thread seems so long - it's really a Two-fer.

I am so happy with everything about the pool. So much like having a newborn. There's so much to do, and much of it needs to be done immediately!!! And I have worries about my new baby. I'm having a difficult time getting the chlorine level up where it should be. She's being very stubborn about it.

I cannot wait to see your pool with the Blue Surf! I don't think my color is where it should be yet, but yesterday, it looked all washed out and pale. I wondered if despite all the razzing, maybe I should have gone with the Blue Smurf. I think once my pool is balanced, she won't look as pale.

As soon as I get a breather, my goal is to get caught up with everyone else's threads!
Take care,
Suz.

Too funny!!! No kids here except us who are kids at heart! Paris and I 'met' on another pool forum before TFP. I moved over here where the action is, and Paris never started his own thread. Since we have the same PB, it worked beautifully for him to post here, also. That's why this thread seems so long - it's really a Two-fer.

I am so happy with everything about the pool. So much like having a newborn. There's so much to do, and much of it needs to be done immediately!!! And I have worries about my new baby. I'm having a difficult time getting the chlorine level up where it should be. She's being very stubborn about it.

I cannot wait to see your pool with the Blue Surf! I don't think my color is where it should be yet, but yesterday, it looked all washed out and pale. I wondered if despite all the razzing, maybe I should have gone with the Blue Smurf. I think once my pool is balanced, she won't look as pale.

As soon as I get a breather, my goal is to get caught up with everyone else's threads!
Take care,
Suz.

Don't second guess yourself about the finish. You do have a beautiful pool. It was really hard to take the risk and pick a pool that had a new finish that we couldn't even see in person. I think the only reason we decided is because in person the blue surf sample in a bowl on our kitchen counter seemed more appealing to us. So we went for it. We might regret it but I'll probably be so excited to be swimming it won't bug me too bad.

Suz, take pics everyday of your pool - it is hard to see the color change because it does it so gradually - but with pictures you can really tell! A friend that was over swimming yesterday is building a pool and said she liked mine but really didn't like the finish because it has too much green in it. Im like green? Im thinking its the trees and reflections - she has only been over at night. I was kinda offended - its like telling a new mom her baby would be cuter with hair! lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.