Am I being to fussy?

He should never have lay them imo if he knew there was a problem with the pavers. Our tilers rejected half a crate of pavers. Once they opened them they called to demand they be replaced immediately and they were, that same afternoon. That sounds like a horrible conversation to have with your tiler and very rude of him. I would try talking to him again and see if there is a solution. The grinding I mentioned might be an option. If he’s not open to working towards a solution, I’m not sure what you should do. Not nice when trades don’t care to make the customer happy. I really feel for you.
I've got a 4" diamond blade grinder, but how would one smooth the edges without grinding the adjoining paver?

I think he's talking about grinding down the entire surface, to level it with the others, maybe even from underneath. Not trying to round the edges, that'd be near impossible to do without scarring surrounding material. You'd have to take them out, one at a time, to do that. And you could still muck up that one just by letting the grinder get away from you. Just guessing here...

Whatever you do, don't try anything on your own yet (if that is what you are thinking). If FL is like CA, you must give the contractor a reasonable opportunity to make things right, or else you could easily lose any rights to a resolution.

The conversation/meeting is the first step.

Yes, grinding down from the top, not the edges. If that’s how they fixed ours, I would never know. Are they going to grout? That might help some of the less noticeable areas. Maybe go out and put tape on the pavers which are completely unacceptable. That might be willing to replace those pavers. Definitely don’t do anything yourself to them.

The paver contractor came earlier with the Flagstone rep. They basically came to the conclusion for me to mark issue and the contractor would fix them. Contractor refused to speak or communicate with me.

Similar to what occurred earlier this afternoon when the contractor told me to pound sand and remove pavers if I didn't pay up.

Sorry state of affairs.

Don't pay him until it's right. Once you pay he has the upper hand. Use the Rep as a middle man and don't talk to the contractor. Think of it as settling a car accident claim. The Rep has the power it appears.

He will not pull all the pavers, it gains him nothing. it's a threat.

Don't grind anything u cannot do it from above on any paver. Maybe try being the bigger person and buy the guys pizza or coffee or something similar and see what happens. I've had extra picky customers and did stuff to make them happy but when customer offers to compensate when they mention changes I go above and beyond as I feel respected and my time is valuable. It is a nice looking paver and looks good in pics I'm not there to see in person mind u

I personally, still, do not see the problem. You have provided 2 pictures that are on a 3 degree angle which is misleading. A few people have jumped to side with you based on that. Let's see proper photos or video from a person's perspective and I don't mean from a person laying on the ground. lol

Always 2 sides to a story and it's entirely possible the job is completely fine and you have unreasonable expectations.

I have to say, looking at your pics has me a little concerned - for myself. My PB is planning on laying travertine over a sand base vs over concrete. What is the more common way to install the travertine outdoors?

I agree with some of the other posts that talk about taking pictures from certain angles but I would not be ok with this install. My ocd would kill me everytime I walked outside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike, we just installed travertine pavers the week before last. I assumed they would be going onto sand, but when they shot the pool shell they also did the concrete for the paver base. Only figured this out when the rebar went in and it extended way past the coping, all the way to edge of the paved area. I guess it’s actually part of the pool shell, as it was all shot at once. Probably should have asked beforehand! Even doing so, we had a couple of areas of lippage that have now been fixed. I have heard different opinions about what is the best base. I don’t think this is due to the base, unless it wasn’t prepared properly. To me this is just shoddy work by someone who doesn’t care. Definitely worth bringing up any concerns you have with your pb, but I really doubt you will end up with issues like this.

I talked to the installer a few moments ago. He said that there was a problem with the pavers themselves. And that if I didn't pay the remaining 50% he'd pull them all out.

So much for customer service.

Sorry to be so late to the conversation - but - My wife is a landscape designer and her company stopped using Flagstone Pavers due to poor quality. They have very good installers, but the pavers themselves are terrible. To get a quality install with Flagstone Pavers, the installer needs to carefully backfill each and every paver until they are level - the labor costs go way up.

When our PB gave us the first quote with Flagstone brand pavers, we immediately asked for a new quote using Belgard pavers. We ended up going for travertine because it was what we really wanted and, once we got the quote for quality pavers, the cost difference wasn't substantial.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.