Alright, alright, alright! New IG in Rowlett TX

melgerhart

Silver Supporter
Feb 14, 2019
Rowlett, Texas
Our contract is signed, financing is complete (which was a beating BTW) and we are ready to start building! We are currently waiting for the permitting to be complete, then we can get to digging. Before we start anything we can't undo, I would love your feedback on the design and equipment. I am a complete novice when it comes to pools, so I have been reading as much as possible so we'll be ready when our paradise is complete. Here's the pictures of the design, the equipment should be in my signature. I wasn't sure if I should attach my Exhibit A, or it that gave too much personal info?
I have really enjoyed watching so many other's new builds. Hopefully y'all will enjoy seeing ours too!

Attachments

• Gerhart, Melissa & JB_012.jpg
    Gerhart, Melissa & JB_012.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Gerhart, Melissa & JB_013.jpg
    Gerhart, Melissa & JB_013.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Gerhart, Melissa & JB_014.jpg
    Gerhart, Melissa & JB_014.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Gerhart, Melissa & JB_015 (1).jpg
    Gerhart, Melissa & JB_015 (1).jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Gerhart, Melissa & JB_015.jpg
    Gerhart, Melissa & JB_015.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 113
Are you adding automation? I would suggest a minimum SWCG size being the IC40 with a preference to the IC60.

Thanks Aizonarob, I wasn't thinking about such a linear design in my head when I first envisioned our pool, but the design has grown on me and I think it fits the space of our rectangular backyard. I believe the scuppers are going to be Oklahoma flagstone, like the coping, with Oklahoma chop for the wall. Copper sure would be pretty, put probably more cost to an already over budget project.

mknause, I'm not sure what you mean by automation? Forgive me, I am still trying to learn all the terminology. Here's the specs for the equipment. Let me know if you can't open the file.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Attachments

• Exhibit A.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 63
Also, we decided to splurge on an Aquacal Heater/Chiller. I'm not sure which model, but I'm guessing the Heatwave Super quiet. We figured if we're spending this much, we might as well extend our swimming season as much as possible. Any thoughts on the Aquacal? I couldn't find any forum discussions on it.

I LOVE this design! It fits so well with your house and yard! NICE job who ever came up with this!!!

Okay now lets talk details.
-Depth I see you have 3'6" to 7" -good job-now think about this-if you go to 4' as your shallow end your slope will be less but that end will will still be walkable. Just an idea. Hold a tape measure up to the adults in the house to see where 4' hits you. Also make sure it is WATER depth. The water should hit the middle of the skimmer face when all is done.

-valves-they talk about them BUT do not say what kind of valves. There many different kinds. You do NOT want the ball valves from the big box stores. You want some thing like Jandy Neverlube. They are rebuild-able and last a long time. The cheap ball valves will fail over time from the hot sun and elements.

-Delzone Ozonator with Nature II Express-do not add this. Your SWG will do all you need to keep your pool clear and clean.

Now let us see the yard this pretty thing is going into please!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a nice big back yard. I like the size and shape of the pool. With the way the decking sits around the pool, you may want to put in a few umbrella sleeves. you probably won't want to use umbrellas with a base that covers up all that nice decking.

Yes, a big backyard was a must for us. We just moved to this house in October. We've got 2 girls, 8 and 12, who are very active and we needed space for the trampoline too. I'm very happy that even with the pool, we'll have a little yard leftover.

Agh! All I hear is "more money". I'll ask what the price difference is. I suppose it's worth it in the long run if it saves money down the road. Thanks.

Also look at a provider like TXU with Nights and Weekends free. You very well could keep those pumps and the SWG and not incur operational cost by running at night since I did not see a Hot tub.

John

Also look at a provider like TXU with Nights and Weekends free. You very well could keep those pumps and the SWG and not incur operational cost by running at night since I did not see a Hot tub.

John
Good point John. I've been with the same electric company for 15+ years. I'll look into that, thanks. No hot tub, unfortunately. That was another 15 grand, and we're already 20K over my original budget.

They did the electric reroute this morning, so we're one step closer to dig day!

M,

You are getting the IntelliFlo pump, electrical costs will never be an issue... I live in the DFW area and run my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM to generate chlorine... My total electrical costs to run the pump is less than $20 bucks a month...

Just not an issue... I have a 17K pool and the IC40.. In the middle of summer, running 24/7, I have to run about 50% SWCG output.. I say this because, I would assume that your pool would operate about the same as mine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I spoke with our PB and expressed my concerns about the IC40 vs IC60. He assured me that the IC40 would be more than sufficient and that it would cost us about $20-$25/ month to run it. I actually love the fact that our PB does not try to upsell us on anything and seems to care about what's best for us. He said we don't just build a pool, we build pools that we would own ourselves.
I had to practically talk him into putting in a second light. I want my pool GLOW and be seen from the space station, lol I showed him pictures of pools that were not well lit, and he told me he agreed and that were not done correctly. But, he didn't argue and did what we wanted. So far, they have been wonderful to work with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.