Algae or something else?

Feb 20, 2022
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone quick question..I just started a SLAM tonight because my pool was pretty cloudy and when I brushed the floor, which I thought was dirt, actually poofed up yellowish. I didn’t think I had algae in the pool since the color seemed ok. My FC did drop pretty low a week ago after heavy rains and I forgot to check the levels. I did add a regular amount of chlorine thinking it would be ok but clearly the cloudiness came on fast. Do you think it’s actually algae or doesn’t matter since I should be doing the SLAMing anyway. Thanks!

I’m testing using the recommended test kit (Taylor k100 or something) and following the SLAM criteria.
There are many different Taylor kits - the K2006 is the one u need to do the SLAM Process - it contains the fas/dpd test
( w/drops & powder- sample turns pink then clear)
The k1000 is an oto (yellow drops- sample turns yellow ) it is not sufficient.
If you’re not holding chlorine/is cloudy or you saw visible algae then slam is needed.

There are many different Taylor kits - the K2006 is the one u need to do the SLAM Process - it contains the fas/dpd test
( w/drops & powder- sample turns pink then clear)
The k1000 is an oto (yellow drops- sample turns yellow ) it is not sufficient.
Ok yes I have the K2006 with the FAS/DPD. I updated my signature. Thank you :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Quick update. It’s been 24 hours since starting the SLAM. Pool is looking much better! I want to say it’s 100% clear but I want to give it another night. I passed the OCLT last night and have 0 CC. I’m hoping the water looks good in the morning..if so, I can start letting the FC level drift back down right? Thanks everyone!

That’s great 👍🏻

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
How Clear is TFP Clear?

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

That’s great 👍🏻

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
How Clear is TFP Clear?

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.
Yes pool is looking great..What are the safe chlorine levels that the water needs to get to in order to swim? My CYA level is 40. Thank you :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya is fine so long as u can see the bottom of the pool for safety purposes.
So between 3ppm & 16ppm.
Thank you so much, I’m seeing some other forum responses to this as well. People aren’t taking the CYA level into account when determining safe chlorine levels. This site is truly above anything else.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.