Algae like ring around the collar, olive green

Bizarrissime

Jul 5, 2020
southern California, USA
Hello TFP
I have been reading TFP materials for the past few months and have been dipping into Pool School. Thank you all. You all seem waaaay smarter at pool care than i am or ever will be. I have been trying to SLAM and then dunk myself. I swim about 4500 meters in this pool each day, that is. The SLAM seemed to work, and then the algae returned within lass than 36 hours. I wipe and rub and sweep and use a long brush and dive down with a scrub brush more than once a day, and the ring returns, an olive-green thick algae ring where the pool becomes deeper, all along the sides and at the deep end. This is a 1962-built, old, in-ground pool, 12,000 gallons, shallow with steps at one end and approx 9 feet deep at the deep end. We leave the pump on for 8 hours/day, and i have been wondering if we should have it on for longer? Recent CYA measurement has been radical, as high as 180. I cannot drain the pool--city rules. I let the water level go down on its own by slightly more than a foot and then refilled with hose water. The CYA remains about the same, 178. In the meantime, post-SLAM and post water rise, i have found that the pH has descended to slightly above 7.0. Before the SLAM and the water lowering/raising, the pH was 8.2. This is wild. I accept anyone's advice, and please do not tell me that i am merely inept at caring for my pool? Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

What we teach begins and ends with valid test results. Either from a Taylor K-2006C or a TFTestkits TF-100. That puts us on the same page.

The test results you report are not really feasible so we musty get some accurate test results for us to comment intelligently.

HI and welcome to TFP!!! First off you are NOT inept at caring for your pool. You have a battle on your hands. For this battle you need the correct tools- a good test kit and chlorine. Here is some reading about the test kits: Test Kits Compared I will say the best bang for your buck is the TF-100 as it has more of the regents we use.

What test kit have you been using? If you have been having the pool store test for you I will tell you that could be part of the problem :( they tend to get it more wrong than right..............they think with their bottom line of selling product where TFP thinks with the science and MANY years and pools that we have used to perfect our methods.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.