Algae Help!

It’s been a hectic day. My pool failed last nights overnight test. Winds have finally calmed down tonight. Family wants to use pool this weekend, so I am letting the FC drop to 8pm like someone recommended and just maintain that for a while. Here is a pic of my pool as of tonight. Pretty clear to me 😊
The clear water is great. You deserve a break. Just test daily to ensure your SWCG is keeping the FC level at around 8ppm as you desire. Having people in the pool and stirring things up will be good.
You may wish to remove your cleaner if you have people in the pool, so then just check it that it is algae free while it is on the deck.
Have fun.

Reactions: poolmom21
Possibly a strange first post from a serial lurker who generally will stay well underground until I've spent ages trying to learn something new. What you guys have done to help a person starting out and willing to learn pool maintenance is highly, highly commendable in this thread. There are so many discussion boards that are really there only for the well informed and have a lot of condescending or discouraging 'advice' when multiple questions are posted by newcomers. Not here, not a bit of it. Awesome job by poolmom to stick with it, and (test results tomorrow pending) this also helped me and my algae problem. Who knows how many others presently slamming will also benefit. Great job to all.

Haha got to come clean and say keeping me quiet for 9.5 years is probably unlikely. Think I registered and searched for info back when my Dad owned a pool, but have only been in charge of one myself for 18 months. Sorry, back to the thread..

TFP has helped thousands maybe millions. And those who chose not to follow the advice, only prolonged their agony during their algae bloom.
We've all been there and we stay because it makes pool care so much easier and affordable. Makes it easier to spend our money on what we want instead of on expensive pool store products.
:lovetfp:

Possibly a strange first post from a serial lurker who generally will stay well underground until I've spent ages trying to learn something new. What you guys have done to help a person starting out and willing to learn pool maintenance is highly, highly commendable in this thread. There are so many discussion boards that are really there only for the well informed and have a lot of condescending or discouraging 'advice' when multiple questions are posted by newcomers. Not here, not a bit of it. Awesome job by poolmom to stick with it, and (test results tomorrow pending) this also helped me and my algae problem. Who knows how many others presently slamming will also benefit. Great job to all.
This isn't even close to the worst. @LooLooPoolNoob had one of the toughest pools and she did it without draining!!! Hard work pays off. And once the pool is clean and clear, maintaining is simple.

In your climate, if you are confident the SLAM is complete, raise your CYA to 70 ppm.
I’m not 100% confident so should I wait until I do another overnight test to be sure? I’m thinking after this weekend I can do another one. Would keeping CYA at 50 (below recommended levels) affect anything? Or as long as I am in the cya/FC ratio I should be ok for now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would wait. The pool may consume more FC each day with your lower CYA. I find when mine hits 60 ppm my FC loss goes up quite a bit. So watch the FC.

Would keeping CYA at 50 (below recommended levels) affect anything? Or as long as I am in the cya/FC ratio I should be ok for now?
When time permits (after a relaxing weekend for sure). It may be useful to spend an hour to listen to this youtube video conducted by the experts at TFP on CYA & FC levels. It addresses a lot of your questions and provides a sense of flexibility you have using a SWCG regarding CYA/FC relationship.

Reactions: poolmom21
Ola! So I’m still checking FC to make sure it doesn’t go below 8 ppm but can you tell me if the FC numbers are a good sign?

Attachments

• 515EBAF5-8D46-47CA-A3E3-A20062F1B9F2.png
    515EBAF5-8D46-47CA-A3E3-A20062F1B9F2.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: HermanTX
I also run my FC at 9-10ppm, just know that above 10ppm you can have trouble getting a good pH reading using the drop / color match test. If you have passed all the SLAM tests then raise your CYA in 5ppm additions over several days as calculated by Pool Math. Without changing your SWG setting, test FC just before it turns on for each day to determine your ideal level and lowest, or low enough, daily FC loss. Members who complete a successful SLAM should earn a badge to display their new skill.

Members who complete a successful SLAM should earn a badge to display their new skill.
I think that would be a great addition to the profile in addition to being a contributor. Would need to see pictures of pre & post SLAM that would be used for future members to know it can be done.

It's a legit, advanced training course to take folks from no- to - pro in 2 weeks or less. It's worked an untold amount of times. There is no learning like doing and the repetitiveness of the SLAM hammers it home in no time.

I think that would be a great addition to the profile in addition to being a contributor. Would need to see pictures of pre & post SLAM that would be used for future members to know it can be done.
So no badge if I never have had to slam? Doesn’t seem fair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.