Dacia409

May 14, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! I am new here to TFP but it comes highly recommended by a coworker. We have had a pool for for nearly 7 years and I have NEVER had things get out of control like they are now. For 2 weeks now I have been fighting things. First things started off cloudy and some algae. I took my water to be tested and the CYA was over 100 which from what I have learned means my FC needs to be higher than normal when this is the case. Long story short after $550 worth of chemicals in the past 2 weeks and 1 flocking treatment here I am. I did an algae treatment this past weekend but the pool was still cloudy. The people at the pool place convinced me to flock it. They said that the particles still present in the pool were to small for our sand filter and this was the only way to clear it up. Yesterday evening I began vacuuming the residue on the bottom to waste, before I could vacuum it all the water level was too low and we had to add water and let it settle again. We vacuumed again this morning and seems we have been successful at removing all the flock and residue but now our pool is turning green again I believe for 2 reasons. 1) The pump and filter have been off for almost 48 hours now and we have added so much well water from vacuuming so much to waste that it looks like our pool did when we first installed it. I have always brought the water to be tested but I most definitely feel like I have been given the run around the past 2 weeks. I ordered a Taylor K1515A Drop Test / FAS DPD Test but it will not be here until Sunday. What should I do in the meantime? I turned the pool back to filtration and turned on the chlorinator. I want to convert to liquid bleach instead of shock. Please help.....

Welcome to TFP! We’re glad you’re here! While waiting for your chlorine test kit,
add 1 gal of liquid chlorine, 10% or 12.5% if you can find it, every day to start killing off some algae. Keep your pump running 24/7 to continue to filter out dead algae. Check your filter pressure, if it raises 10-15% backwash.
While you wait for your test kit to come in read about the SLAM method of clearing your pool of algae.

Consider purchasing a full test kit, as you will want to test all pool chemistry yourself and never walk into a pool store again. You will need to know your exact CYA number to start a SLAM.

If your CYA is truly over 100, you will need to drain and refill a portion of your pool water. With a chlorine pool your goal CYA is 30-50. It is easier to SLAM with a cya of 30 because it will use less chlorine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, like so many before you, you learned your pool store lesson the hard way. :brickwall: $$$.

So now we wait for some good test results. In the future, when your reagents get low, just go for a TF-100 (link in my signature). Much better value. We're all about saving some money while doing pool care the right way - simple chemicals and no pool store snake oils that only cause more problems.

Be sure to update your signature. See ours as examples. Include the test kit and that you are on well water. The one gallon per day is a good idea. It won't clear things, but hopefully will slow the algae nightmare a bit. But start keeping your eyes open for deals on chlorine. Also consider the real possibility you may have to exchange some water. Not ideal if the well is your only source, but we'll see.

Once your kit arrives, we have some work to do. :)

Reactions: JodieM
@Mdragger88 Thanks. Let me clarify I do have a full test kit ( K2005) but prior to flocking this week my CYA was 100 and I was getting a false reading on all my chlorine levels, my coworker that recommended TFP is the one that showed me the K1515A and DPD Test Kit so I ordered it.

Reactions: IceShadow
@Mdragger88 Thanks. Let me clarify I do have a full test kit ( K2005) but prior to flocking this week my CYA was 100 and I was getting a false reading on all my chlorine levels, my coworker that recommended TFP is the one that showed me the K1515A and DPD Test Kit so I ordered it.
Great! Can you do a diluted CYA test for us? Scroll down in the link for instructions.

High CYA levels don’t give false chlorine levels to my knowledge. High CYA requires Higher Chlorine levels to sanitize the water.
Chlorine levels over 10 can mess up testing PH though.

Attachments

• 36F39098-8074-437C-AE80-8179237BBBE0.png
    36F39098-8074-437C-AE80-8179237BBBE0.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 6
Hello there!
If you already haven't, take all tabs out of the chlorinator and turn it off or bypass it, assuming that it's an inline chlorinator. Tabs are what's raising your CYA. Switch to liquid chlorine. For the SLAM, you will need plenty of it. Going forward, if you want to avoid high CYA again, use only liquid chlorine a saltwater generator if you have it. At this point, I wouldn't bother adding DE to your filter, until it starts to clear up more, I don't think it will help much.

Also, if you don't have it already, download the PoolMath app and link you logs.

Should I add DE to the sand filter?
Not during an active algae outbreak. First you want to kill the algae. When your pool is cloudy and blue, and you've been filtering a few days to get most of it, DE can help catch the rest. Right now it'd be like trying to stop a leaking dam with a bucket of mortar.

Reactions: Dacia409
@Mdragger88 ok! I just used my pool kit attached. I can not get a good chlorine reading. When I follow the steps and compare to the color standard I have more free chlorine than combined therefore end up with a negative number. I do have the pool math calc. but here are my numbers for reference.

Ph 7.4
Alky 110
CYA on standard test 90
CYA diluted 1 to 1 ration - 40
Calcium Hardness 275

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Mdragger88 ok! I just used my pool kit attached. I can not get a good chlorine reading. When I follow the steps and compare to the color standard I have more free chlorine than combined therefore end up with a negative number. I do have the pool math calc. but here are my numbers for reference.
FC 3 CC 1

Ph 7.4
Alky 110
CYA on standard test 90
CYA diluted 1 to 1 ration - 40
Calcium Hardness 275

Reactions: IceShadow
Hello there!
If you already haven't, take all tabs out of the chlorinator and turn it off or bypass it, assuming that it's an inline chlorinator. Tabs are what's raising your CYA. Switch to liquid chlorine. For the SLAM, you will need plenty of it. Going forward, if you want to avoid high CYA again, use only liquid chlorine a saltwater generator if you have it. At this point, I wouldn't bother adding DE to your filter, until it starts to clear up more, I don't think it will help much.

Also, if you don't have it already, download the PoolMath app and link you logs.
What’s nuts is we drained 1/3 of the pool over the past 2 days vacuuming to waste and the CYA is still just as high

When I follow the steps and compare to the color standard I have more free chlorine than combined therefore end up with a negative number.
Free Chlorine + Combined Chlorine = Total Chlorine

What are the numbers you're getting?

What’s nuts is we drained 1/3 of the pool over the past 2 days vacuuming to waste and the CYA is still just as high
It's likely your CYA was much higher than 100.

You don’t want combined chlorine-cc. The presence of cc is indicative of algae or organics in the water that consume chlorine. SLAMing the pool water with liquid chlorine oxidizes the cc and kills the organics growing in the water. It’s important to brush your pool thoroughly during the process.

So that’s 80ppm if was definitely 40ppm for the diluted-
if it looks anywhere between you round up to the next 10 so (50ppm x2) that may very well have u at 90-100ppm.
Incremental drains use more water than a single large drain.
When u took your last cya reading had u completely refilled the pool & let it circulate for a couple hours? If not you may have put more of a dent in it than u think.
Replacing 1/3 of the water should have somewhere around 60ppm. That should make the SLAM Process a bit easier but 40/50 would be even better if possible.
None of your Pool details are in your signature is this a vinyl or plaster pool? These details can effect how you need to go about exchanging water.
Here’s some info on safely exchanging water 👇
As well as filling out your signature - it helps us give u the most accurate advice for your pool. 👇

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.