Air in the pump strainer basket, help please

Jul 14, 2015
Colts Neck, NJ
Hello,
I noticed a good amount of air in the pump strainer basket. I have an inground cleaining system with a basket filter located in the pool deck, pictured below. When I turn the system off there was a large amount of gurgling coming from there. Events to note.

I tried to swich out my pressure gauge but the new glycerin filled item did not fit my filter housing. I am now back to using the stock Jandy gauge.

I started using hair nets in the skimmers about a week ago. Did not notice any change for days after using them, removed them and the air is still present.

There has been 2 weeks straight of rain and wind, so I am sure there is debris on the bottom of the pool/main drain, not sure how to inspect or clear without diving down. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

20180605_151328.jpg

I noticed that when I switch the main drain valve to off, the pressure immediately goes back to normal and the filter strainer basket fills back up to the top with only tiny bubbles. This leads me to believe I have an obstruction in the main drain somewhere. Forgive my ignorance but how do I even attempt to clear this out. I am guessing it is leaves or pine needles. I have the whole system shut down now, but obviously want to get it back online as soon as possible.

I used a shop vac on blower to pressurize the lines in hopes of blowing the clog back out the main drain. That loosened up the clog enough that it came through the filter basket for the main drain. It turned out to be a plastic ring for one of the eyeballs encased in and surrounded by a wad of pine needles. Looks like the problem is solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.