Air blower causes high pressure alert on pump

emilyfl

Apr 18, 2023
Florida
Hello! I cannot figure this problem out and I've searched previous posts but haven't found one quite like mine.

My pool was built in late 2021. The PB planned the spa Jets to run on Venturi but it just never really worked. Often, someone would need to go outside the pool cage and physically blow into the pipes in order to get the jets working. The PB finally gave up on that and installed a Silencer 1 HP air blower and set it up as a "Feature" we can toggle on and off in the Screenlogic app. The spa has four jets and the air blower has always caused water to bubble out of the spa. So for the past year, I turn the spa on with the pump set to about 35 GPM, then turn that air blower on for just a few seconds to get the jets moving. I turn the air blower off, and all goes well.

Last night, I let the air blower run for about a minute before turning it off. I later noticed that the Screenlogic showed a High Pressure alert for the pump. I went out to the side of the house to see what was going on, and the air blower was making a rattling noise. I turned everything off, then restarted the pump. Next, I ran the blower again for a few seconds. The pressure gauge above the filter quickly went up to 4000, even after I turned off the blower. Then the blower still rattled even though it was turned off.

I decided it was safer to just turn everything off, not go in the spa, and check everything out in the light of day. This morning I cleaned the filter, drained the bottom of the filter, cleaned out the pump basket (although it was empty since the pool is caged), and then lubricated the gaskets and put it all back together again. I tried the spa again and still saw the increase in pressure (although this time is was about 2000), saw the High Pressure alert on the pump, and heard the rattling in the air blower.

I also have one return jet that emits tiny bubbles, not only from the return jet, but it seems to also be coming out from just outside the plastic circle. To be honest, I've been seeing bubbles for a while now. I've also had issues with the skimmer basket floating so I have a rock in there to hold it down now.

My power bill had been out of control, so the past several months I've been running the pump at 34GPM for twelve hours per day.

Does anyone have any idea if this is normal for the air blower to cause the high pressure alert to go off on a pool pump? Are the tiny bubbles from the return a harmful thing?

Thank you so much for any insight or advice! Emily

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have pics of your pool during construction? Specifically your spa plumbing and before gunite pics of the way the spa plumbing and jets was done?

I think your builder did not use the proper air/water manifold that combines air and water in a jet.

Your blower sounds like the air is traveling back up the water lines rather then coming out the jets and blocking the water flow from the pump, creating the high pressure.

Adding a blower to an air line that was not working properly was not a good fix.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have pics of your pool during construction? Specifically your spa plumbing and before gunite pics of the way the spa plumbing and jets was done?

I think your builder did not use the proper air/water manifold that combines air and water in a jet.

Your blower sounds like the air is traveling back up the water lines rather then coming out the jets and blocking the water flow from the pump, creating the high pressure.

Adding a blower to an air line that was not working properly was not a good fix.
Thank you for this thoughtful response! Unfortunately, I don't have photos of the plumbing because they installed it and covered it up all on the same visit which was very early on a Sunday morning. I was so mortified at the noise waking my neighbors up that I didn't go outside to see what they were up to. Do these photos help of just after?

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you show this sticker?

Why is the gauge in such poor condition?

The gauge looks really old?

View attachment 484071
Hello! Sorry for the delay in response. I attached that sticker. The gauge DOES look terrible. I don't know why it looked that bad in the photo. I attached another photo of it from this morning. My home was hit by Hurricane Ian all day in September -- we had it rough. We felt it was a miracle that the house fared as well as it did, but there are lots of little things we keep finding that suffered. I wonder if this gauge was one of them.

I also figured out what the max pressure was set to. Max speed of 3450 RPM and max pressure of 30psi. I couldn't quite tell if those limits were enabled or disabled, though I assume the max pressure must be if I'm receiving the max pressure warning.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 14
Could it be possible that the Venturi jet(s) could be plumbed incorrectly? I hope not. But that would account for the high back pressure
For the first month of having the pool, the jets just wouldn't work with the Venturi pipe. Sometimes it would gurgle and once in a blue moon it would work right but it mostly would only work out of one jet if you covered the other three jets with your hands. We would have to jump start the effect by blowing into the pipes, which wasn't ideal at all. The Pool Builder then installed the Silencer Air Blower and told me he capped the Venturi pipe. It all seemed to work so we didn't question it. Especially since the Pool Builder was an absolute pill to work with and we just wanted to be done with them.

So the fact that the Venturi NEVER worked reliably from Day 1 makes me think your theory could be likely.

Have you tried to flush out the spa jet water lines? This requires removing the outer fittings as well as the jet nozzles deep within the spa wall.

Reactions: emilyfl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.