Ahh-some and similar products

I've not personally used SeaKlear but read a post where someone used it, then used the Ahh-Some and got a mess *more* out with that *after* the SeaKlear.

I have used paper towels to scoop up the schmutz as it appears. I also made the mistake of letting it sit overnight before draining without first wiping the goo off the sides. Well... Big Mistake! It dried like glue and I had to really wet it down again and scrub to get the dried schmutz off. Take that as a warning!! Otherwise I love Ahh-some and bought the large size of it to also use a dab in the washer and dishwasher now and then.

Maddie :flower:

Hello Sjde: Here is a scientific answer to your question as to how Sea Klear Flush compares to Ahh-Some
Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner. Tests were performed at the “CBE”, Center for Biofilm Engineering at Montana State University comparing the overall effectiveness of many products on Pseudomonas Aeruginosa
Biofilm. Test results confirmed that Ahh-Some had a log reduction of 1.51 and Sea Klear had a log reduction of 0.14. It should also be noted that the amount of product used in the testing was dramatically less Ahh-Some versus Sea Klear. The amount of Ahh-Some used in the test was .0015 ml versus .006 ml Sea Klear. Ahh-Some reduced 97% of live organisms on the coupon surface. Later testing at the CBE confirmed that Ahh-Some had a Log Reduction of almost 4.5, reducing live organisms by 99.997%.

YippeeSkippee is also spot on. Don’t let any of the gunk and detritus materials that are purged from the piping and jets be allowed to dry on the acrylic shell. It is very sticky stuff since it is essentially made up of sugar molecules or polysaccharides. Wipe it as it collects on the shell and other surfaces with a microfiber cloth.
Be sure to remove any pillows or headrests if they are removable.

Here is what every hot tub owner needs to do. Be sure to purchase the TFP test kit and read the instructions.
Get rid of the test strips you may be using. Follow the instructions you see on this forum if you want to experience simple water maintenance. The TFP people truly want to help you and we need users to support this forum. If you need Ahh-Some, it is available at Trouble Free Pool and costs less than most other places.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New to TFP. I had installed a new Sundance Chelsea 400 gallon pool about 3 years ago. I thought that with the UV light and silver cartridge, and annual or 6 month drain, refill, and filter cleaning, I was going to be fine. I used a shock with Cl 30 minutes before usage, and we rarely used it. About a year ago I started to notice flat creamy colored flakes floating around, and even if I drained and cleaned, it recurred quickly. Last week I did the same, and frustrated started to read the internet (hadn't discovered TFP yet.) Read about Ahh-some, talked to my spa store, they said definitely, and I went home and used it. The gunk was terrifying. I made the mistake of letting it dry, but a 3-M pad and dilute TSP with frequent hose rinsing cleaned it off (as well as first scraping off the excess). Well, when I looked at transparent tubing which was visible in the front of the tub, I could see that they still had extensive opaque coating, and I could see how it was starting to break up. So, refilled, adjusted chemicals, heated up, and repeated with about 1.5 tsp per 100 gallons, and a good ⅓ cup of chlorine. Again enormous amounts, but most tubing cleared. I bought a 16 oz tub of Ahh-some, and tomorrow will do a hopefully final and third treatment, looking for no more flakes and completely cleaned out tubing where I can see it (limited by insulation and hatch only on front of tub).
So, moral of story: Ahh-some does work, might take three full treatments if you have neglected your tub like I had, and buy in bulk!

Attachments

• OKLsTi2JSaS0qDwPtIomJg.jpg
    OKLsTi2JSaS0qDwPtIomJg.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 40
Hello Seattle Soaker: Thank you for using the Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing Cleaner on your hot tub. What you just did is going to make your ongoing maintenance so much easier. All that gunk and bio-contaminants that you purged from your relatively new hot tub is quite normal. Remember, sanitizers are used up and dissipate rapidly trying to penetrate into the bio-buildup. They try and try but just can't get the job done. Sanitizers are great at oxidizing and killing "planktonic" or free-floating specks that break loose from the biofilm matrix. You need sanitizer in a hot tub, ABSOLUTELY. You also need to purge your hot tub on a regular basis, usually every 4-6 months based on gallonage and amount of use. We recommend tubs 450 gallons or more, every 6 months. Less than 450 gallons, every 4-5 months. Small tubs, let's say 250 gallons or less that get daily use, we recommend every 3 months. It is AMAZING that many dealers and manufacturers are hesitant to educate their customers about this beneficial maintenance protocol. Apparently, they fear that sales would go down. We see the opposite occurring. The dealers who actually purge brand new tubs at the time of delivery and who tell their customers to purge on a regular basis are selling more hot tubs. Happy customers talk. However, this information falls on deaf ears with most dealers. They are petrified that you'll see this gunk. We are glad that this forum is a catalyst for getting the word out and helping hot tub owners around the globe. We also recommend that every new hot tub owner procure the "TFP" test kit. Test strips that are usually included with the hot tub are grossly inadequate. What is important is that you Test, Sanitize and Purge. Do this regularly and you'll be thrilled with the results.

Reactions: kimkats
1/2 TSP will do a great job for you. Mix the gel with hot water and pour into detergent hopper or bottom of dishwasher. No clothes or dishes when you purge. Ok to use old rags and towels in the washer during this cleansing if you want to spiff them up a bit. Short HOT cycle is fine.

Hello Seattle Soaker: Thank you for using the Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing Cleaner on your hot tub. What you just did is going to make your ongoing maintenance so much easier. All that gunk and bio-contaminants that you purged from your relatively new hot tub is quite normal. Remember, sanitizers are used up and dissipate rapidly trying to penetrate into the bio-buildup. They try and try but just can't get the job done. Sanitizers are great at oxidizing and killing "planktonic" or free-floating specks that break loose from the biofilm matrix. You need sanitizer in a hot tub, ABSOLUTELY. You also need to purge your hot tub on a regular basis, usually every 4-6 months based on gallonage and amount of use. We recommend tubs 450 gallons or more, every 6 months. Less than 450 gallons, every 4-5 months. Small tubs, let's say 250 gallons or less that get daily use, we recommend every 3 months. It is AMAZING that many dealers and manufacturers are hesitant to educate their customers about this beneficial maintenance protocol. Apparently, they fear that sales would go down. We see the opposite occurring. The dealers who actually purge brand new tubs at the time of delivery and who tell their customers to purge on a regular basis are selling more hot tubs. Happy customers talk. However, this information falls on deaf ears with most dealers. They are petrified that you'll see this gunk. We are glad that this forum is a catalyst for getting the word out and helping hot tub owners around the globe. We also recommend that every new hot tub owner procure the "TFP" test kit. Test strips that are usually included with the hot tub are grossly inadequate. What is important is that you Test, Sanitize and Purge. Do this regularly and you'll be thrilled with the results.
Thanks, Ahh-Some Guy. I just posted the following on the Ahh-Some website contact form. I am looking for advice, as I have already done 4 purges, each time cleaning filters, any gunk, refilling, balancing, heating up. Also, is there a link to which test kit is best for a hot tub (as opposed to the swimming pool group.) Thanks, Daniel

"I thought I was keeping my 3 year old, barely used Sundance Chelsee hot tub clean with using shock 30 minutes before use, and then counting on the silver cartridge, UV light, and filter. Even after a water change, filter cleaning, creamy white flakes would float around. Reading on the internet I came across references to pipe and tubing cleaning, and my local spa store sold me two small tubs of Ahh-Some. I read your website, watched you tube videos, and treated my tub. First time ran jets and aeration for about 1 hour, produced a lot of grime. I thought that was it, refilled, heated, treated, but more white flakes. Next day, same thing, this time with ½ cup of chlorine granules, more Ahh-Some, ran jets for about 3 hours, cleaned filters each time. Greatly improved, and for the first time I could see some of the transparent tubing was no longer opaque when looking at what is visible from the front of the underside.
Did a third treatment yesterday, ¾ cup chlorine, about 5 tsp Ahh-Some for the 400 gallon tub, ran for 3 hours. Better yet, but still producing some flakes and yellow scum when refilled and jets running (and yes, I rinsed carefully, cleaned sides as tub drained, shop-vac, etc.) I can see small persistent areas of biofilm in a few areas of the visible tubing.
So, my question is: Any other tricks? Do I just treat again for the 5th Ahh-Some treatment, or give it a break and treat in a month or two?
Thanks for any advice you can give."

You may have purchased a tub that had “Calcium Stearate” issues. If you haven’t heard about this, go to our website and read the information and the protocols we have found to be effective. You may not have this issue and may simply have a high calcium level that is causing the white flakes. If you turn on the jets and suddenly see hundreds or thousands of white floaters that disappear after you shut the jets off after a minute or so, you have the “CS” issue. If not, you may only have a “white mold” issue. Look at the 3/4” tubing and see what if you notice flaking inside the piping. It seems that it is getting better after each purge. Going forward, keep purging but only use half the amount of gel. The swimming pool test kit is also great for hot tubs. This forum offers a great test kit value. You should take advantage of their offer. Please be sure to always maintain adequate sanitizer in your hot tub at all times. When you get the tub plumbing cleaned out it is a very simple maintenance schedule. Make sure pH, total alkalinity, and hardness are in proper range and keep sanitizer levels at correct levels.

Reactions: Seattle Soaker
You may have purchased a tub that had “Calcium Stearate” issues. If you haven’t heard about this, go to our website and read the information and the protocols we have found to be effective. You may not have this issue and may simply have a high calcium level that is causing the white flakes. If you turn on the jets and suddenly see hundreds or thousands of white floaters that disappear after you shut the jets off after a minute or so, you have the “CS” issue. If not, you may only have a “white mold” issue. Look at the 3/4” tubing and see what if you notice flaking inside the piping. It seems that it is getting better after each purge. Going forward, keep purging but only use half the amount of gel. The swimming pool test kit is also great for hot tubs. This forum offers a great test kit value. You should take advantage of their offer. Please be sure to always maintain adequate sanitizer in your hot tub at all times. When you get the tub plumbing cleaned out it is a very simple maintenance schedule. Make sure pH, total alkalinity, and hardness are in proper range and keep sanitizer levels at correct levels.
Thanks for your reply. BTW, I purchased the 16 oz tub of Aah-Some!
I don't think it is calcium. The Ahh-some purges produced the orangish sticky scum, less with each purge.
I posted this elsewhere, but how do you handle a three week vacation, with regards to sanitization?

I have just spent 90 minutes reading all the CS links I could find. But, how do you find the CS articles on the Ahh-Some website? There is no search function that I can find. I'm looking for what arobbert on PoolSpaForum refers to as your protocol 3.

Also, the photo by Shari on the same thread as arobbert is exactly what I am seeing on our tubing.

Can someone please clarify the Ahh-Some instructions for me? After applying Ahh-Some to my Spa:
1. How long should I run the jets?
2. Should I engage the air controls that allow air to mix with the water being supplied to the massage jets?
3. Once the Spa is drained, do I just clean as normal, refill and balance or do I have to refill, run jets again, drain and refill again?

Removethe filters,toss them in the water. Circulate the pumps for two cycles. It’s best to have a bunch of paper towels handy to wipe up all the gunk that goes onto the walls. It’s the bubbling effect that floats all the crud to the surface. If not once you drain it will just be a much bigger job. I normally rinse everything with a complete fill before finally balancing and warming the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.