After changing sand in filter.... sand in pool....

Mikey311

May 31, 2016
Powder Springs, GA
As the title states, I just changed the sand in my 500lb Hayward sand filter. I watched a few "how to" videos and while the process wasnt fun, I felt like it was pretty straight forward so tackled it myself.

After startup i noticed sand in the pool from the returns. Yikes. It seemed to stop so I thought it might be normal for some sand to come out and tried to push it into a single spot in the pool to remove when it gets a little warmer.

Today, I noticed my pool was low on water (dealing with a spa leak I cant get a contractor out to fix) and the pump was struggling for water so i immediately starting adding more water to the pool. Its back to normal for now.... but notice MORE sand around the returns....UGH.

What Did i do wrong? Please help.

One thing I noticed with the lateral assembly is if I put it on the bottom of the filter.... it wouldnt reach the multi-port value.... so as it was installed previously, I had to add some sand... THEN put in the lateral assembly to get it to reach the multi port value.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but thought I would mention it. Wondering if it settled some???

Is it possible the laterals/pipe settled in the sand since I didn't add water before I placed it? So maybe I have a gap in the pipe and the multi port valve?

I guess the other option is the lateral got damaged but I did try to be careful in that regard.

Is it possible the laterals/pipe settled in the sand since I didn't add water before I placed it?
It's very possible the laterals got pushed to a point they separated or cracked. Watch to see if anything changes after you do a thorough backwash and rinse to clean the new sand. If you still continue to get grainy stuff in the pool, you may have to opera it up and inspect. :brickwall:

Reactions: Mikey311
Thanks for the assistance, very much appreciated.
I checked the lateral pipe, didn't seem to settle.

I then backwashed for over a minute and then rinsed over a minute as well.... the water in the view piece (sorry not sure of the proper name) doesn't ever seem to clear up, see sand in it. It's there a chance this is normal in any way or pointing to a damaged lateral at this point?

Anything else I should try before replacing the laterals?

You should backwash until the water is pretty much clear in the sight glass then rinse until all the grains are gone & its really clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing I noticed with the lateral assembly is if I put it on the bottom of the filter.... it wouldn't reach the multi-port value.... so as it was installed previously, I had to add some sand... THEN put in the lateral assembly to get it to reach the multi port value.
It should fit perfectly.

Probably the wrong assembly.

I probably broke when you pushed the top on.

I would replace the assembly with the correct part.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
20230521_173505.jpg

Pile of sand I pushed to one spot to get out soon.... I had pool in recirculate for last day as I just did a vitamin c treatment for metal stains.

Was trying to figure out sand issue before returning it to filter mode and getting water balanced.

Chasing my tail with this pool....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.