Advice on SWG Location

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
My Pentair HTR250 was installed in early 2014. It has had saltwater flowing through it since then as the pool never closes. The water has been TFP maintained since the start. No issues.

I want to switch to SW but can't really mount the cell after the heater without jumping through a LOT of hoops and probably mounting it vertically. The Hayward is roughly 5 years old, how risky would it be mounting it upstream 2' from the heater? It would be level with the heater and hater output goes down into the pool .
I run my VS Pump 24x7 most of the time on low

I want to switch to SW but can't really mount the cell after the heater without jumping through a LOT of hoops and probably mounting it vertically. The Hayward is roughly 5 years old, how risky would it be mounting it upstream 2' from the heater? It would be level with the heater and hater output goes down into the pool .
I run my VS Pump 24x7 most of the time on low

I'm not a TFP expert or anything, but you need to mount that SWG after the heater, with a check valve between the heater and SWG. You don't want the highly chlorinated water going back into your heater. Additionally, it's hard to say without seeing your setup, but you should be able to get it downstream. It's easy to put elbow joints in to route the pipes anywhere you need to to make space. I had to do this when I installed mine. Post some pictures if you want some more advice on that, though you may want to go to a new thread.

Sure, I can't really move the heater back or to either side more then a couple inch's..But I am replacing the ball valves in the fall with pool type valves..One is hard to close..

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 21
Sure, I can't really move the heater back or to either side more then a couple inch's..But I am replacing the ball valves in the fall with pool type valves..One is hard to close..

So I would bend that plumbing up right after it comes out of the heater, and go up to 6" above the highest point in your plumbing and put the salt cell there. I'm not sure if 6" is standard, so check your manual, but my SWG installation said to put it 6" above highest plumbing. Then just route it back down to your outlet.

Those elbows going in and out of the Heater are not Sch 40, I would definitely suggest re-plumbing. On the output side of the heater make a rise and turn to the left as viewed in the picture, then a 180 back to the ground pipes. Plenty of space for the SWG, you should also consider a bypass setup on the heater. Also post another picture further away so we can se the ground pipes.

Mark,

I would come out of the heater and either go straight up and install the cell vertically, or go straight out and install the cell and then loop back around to your return plumbing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I plan on redoing them but what is sch 40 ?
There is a partial fence shielding the pad so hard to get a far away picture but this may help.
I was an old school engine builder so looking for flow :)

Attachments

• PAD2.jpg
    PAD2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like that idea, never thought about going back left and around :) I just redid the inputs and went to the VS pump which was tricky with that small area but got it all to fit..
That will be my fall project, have enough tablets to last summer so will be a good time.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.