Adam's Pebble Plus - Northern CA

Kcav

Apr 15, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience with the Adam's Pebble Plus product? Apparently, it is the same as Pebble Tec but it is Adam's in house product and it less than Pebble Tec. Their color options are limited though and not finding a lot of examples or info online. I think I am most interested in the Catalina or Riviera colors. Any feedback/photos would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: sfaille
Anyone have any feedback/input on the Adam's Pool Solutions Pebble Plus, or their newest (released last year) Super Mini Pebble. I met with a PB - Quality Pool and Construction who specifically use and are contracted to install the Adam's Pool Solutions finish. They are one of a couple of installers who are permitted to sell the Adam's product. I'd rather go with them than directly vs. Adam's as they would be more present on site to oversee things. I did speak with the Adam's sales rep about their product. I guess the benefit of going with Adam's is that they'd offer a 10 year warranty on the finish vs. if I go through this PB for the install, as they offer a 5 year warranty. The PB is a lot more personable and better priced. Instead of charging a line item for every little thing like Adam's would, Quality Pool and Construction has one price that already includes the extras like the glass tiles for trim on the steps, and abalone shell and glass beads in the mixture to accentuate the pool finish. But, I would be sacrificing 5 years of warranty coverage.

Yesterday, I went to the showroom for Adam's Pool Solutions in Pleasanton. I walked on some of the sample pools. I felt the Pebble Plus and the Super Mini pebble. I really like the Super Mini pebble as it uses such small rocks. It is quite smooth under foot. We want a pseudo smooth surface, and that would be good enough for me. Oh yeah, the other thing is that Adam's will charge more for the Super Mini vs. the Pebble Plus. About $100 more. I can compare the Pebble Plus to the feel of Wet Edge Satin Matrix or Pebble Sheen, which is those companies' smaller pebble, but the Adam's Super Mini I really can't compare to anything. It uses very small rocks. The only concern I have is that since the rocks are so small, perhaps more Portland cement is used in the ad-mixture/matrix vs. the amount used in the Pebble Plus. The PB (Quality Pool and Construction) stated that the lifespan should be the same on both the Pebble Plus and Super Mini. I asked for long term data/input from pools they did in the Super Mini, but it was then that they stated it is a year old product.

Both Adam's and the PB (Quality Pool) state that the installers who apply either Adam's product are the same installers who have installed Pebble Tec. They are certified to install PT and they use those same skills to install the Adam's product.

Well, I have been researching this Adams product and comparing it against Wet Edge.

Wet Edge also has to be installed by certified installers, but it comes with a 15 year warranty (Satin Matrix or Primera Stone). That is much longer than the 5 year warranty on the Adam's aggregate if I went through this one pool contractor, or 10 years if I had went through Adam's Pool Solutions directly. Also, I learned some helpful info from member Onbalance about coloring and the coloring pigmentation used (Pigments and Pools | Pools/Spas | Watershapes). If I am going to go with an aggregate surface, I will only go with one that uses inorganic/mineral based pigments as those will not fade like organic based pigments. As such, I have learned that Wet Edge uses mineral based pigments whereas the Adam's product does not.
FAQ
Natural inorganic pigments, derived mainly from mineral sources, have been used as colorants since pre-historic times. Mineral/Inorganic pigments do not react with ultraviolet rays and are resistant to fading. Organic pigments are synthesized from organic materials. Organic pigments are less costly and it takes much less of it to create vibrant colors. The bad part about organic pigments is that they will fade when subjected to ultra violet rays. Since almost all swimming pools are in the sun every day Wet Edge Technologies™ found it important to create a line of mineral based pigments to reduce the fade factor.

Yes, the Wet Edge product is more expensive, but I am willing to pay for a product that is superior and will hold its color/look longer.

I'm thinking of working with Adams also. I was thinking about using their pebble plus finish but you have me concerned about the type of pigment they use. Ill ask their sales rep as well and report back. He had said previously that it was exactly the same as Pebble Tec but I'm not sure now. I didn't think to ask specifically about the pigment in the pebble plus and whether it was mineral based or not.

I spoke with Adams Rep who got info direct from owner of Adams Pools. Pigments are all inorganic mineral based at least in Adams Pebble Plus finishes. According to Adams owner they (All Pool finish companies) all buy the inorganic mineral based pigments from same company in Arizona.

Where did you find out that Adams Pebble Plus or new mini pebble doesn't use mineral based pigments? I'm not trying to argue or disagree but I just want to know what finish is best to use for longevity and want apples to apples comparison. Also the wet edge, Adams, and Pebble tec warranty may not cover fading anyway. I think pebble tec warranty is just on the pebbles themselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought it might be a good way to dry your towel quickly and straighten your hair at the same time.

@losgatosgtr, never got notice of your posts; I wasn’t subscribed to this thread, which I changed now.

I got that info about the pigments Adam’s Pool Solutions uses in their own pebble surface directly from my sales rep, who is based out of the Pleasanton store. This was our text string:

Me: “Thanks. Does the Adams aggregate use inorganic (mineral based) or organic pigments?”

Rep: “A blend of both it's the best pigment available.”

So it appears either you or I got misinformed. This is a good example of why I do not trust Adams, nor would I use their pebble product now. It is clear either they’re not forthcoming of the truth, or they actually use organic pigments, which are cheaper. For such a big job/decision, it’s no longer worth it to use a generic product.

Hello bbrock,

What application company will you be using to install the wet edge products? Only one I know of is California's Gunite...but haven't heard much if anything about them at least down here. I dont know of anyone that uses them and haven't seen any pool done by them.

@santacruzpool. Will you elaborate? How was your experience working with California Gunite? What surface did you go with? Please post here or private message me if you’re more comfortable.

I talked to the south bay CA Gunite sales rep today. Conversation didn't go well at all....

CA Gunite rep said that there are all kinds of new codes and told me that it would be about $50k to remodel my pool. I was shocked and I had to laugh out loud. Her "over the phone rough estimate" was about $25k to $30k higher than the other bids and she hadn't even looked at my pool.

I know about the new codes but the pool companies I have been talking to are following the new codes. I told her that I have two recent quotes already from Adams and Aqua Gunite that I am evaluating and they are less than $30k. This is a standard remodel of a 1964 era 30,000 gallon pool with new precast coping, new ceramic tile, two new lights, new skimmer, new swim out and plumbing. That is it.

CA Gunite rep said that I MUST have a drain and that abandoning my old drain with copper piping was not possible if I wanted to work with CA Gunite. Said owner would not allow it.

I told her that the code requires a VGB compliant drain cover on existing pool drains or on NEW pools but not necessarily requiring an old pool to HAVE a drain at all. Abandoning my old drain is possible and desirable in my situation because the copper piping is about 50 years old, it is not needed, and I do not want the pool company to jackhammer the deep end of my pool to shreds just to replace a copper pipe. I would rather fill in the main drain. My newly remodeled pool will have much better flow with the new skimmer and returns. I plan to convert to using a SWCG and I do not want any copper in the pool. I'm not joking here...I have no interest in working with Ca Gunite after this conversation. Best of luck to others that do.

This is a big disservice to Wet Edge because I was actually interested in using the product...but not now. Burkett's does not service the bay area at all now and they are the only other applicator for wet edge besides CA Gunite.

Guess I will be forced to use pebble tec or Adams Pebble Plus.

Feel free to PM me for more info if you would like...

@santacruzpool. Will you elaborate? How was your experience working with California Gunite? What surface did you go with? Please post here or private message me if you’re more comfortable.

Hello - we didn't have any problems with California's Gunite - they were the sub that our pool builder used for the gunite and the final finish. We chose the Wet Edge Primera Stone so that we would have a smooth finish. We didn't like any of the exposed pebble finishes...I have sensitive feet!

We also went with a dark color (Black Kona) based on several pool designs we liked in our pool builders portfolio. All the pools we picked out turned out to be Black Kona - and the pools all looked very different...who knew! Installation was great - we did have them return after the initial fill for a couple of areas that they smoothed out with some sand paper.

We are approaching 3 years - this finish is doing just fine, there are some waves, a few tiny rough spots here and there, and some super minor streaks if you look really close or run your hands along the walls or floor while swimming. The only way I every see anything is if I look too closely at it - I think our water is too clear due to this site...:lovetfp:

We probably would have gone with plain grey plaster if we didn't choose the Wet Edge Primera Stone finish...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.