Post all of your results when you have time like this:
FC
CC
PH 8.0
TA
CH
CYA
Salt level

Your salt cell is set to 100% production that just means its running all the time when your pump is on. Your automation can be addressed by people who know more about it. But you should be able to go into your easy touch and see how many schedules are set for the pump. There are some good you tube videos that will walk you through how it operates. Your cya level will determine what you should keep your free chlorine at and you can adjust the pump run time or %output on the salt water generator to adjust that.

Your pool is 27000 gallons. 4 oz of muriatic acid will do very little.
Be sure you do all the tests in your kit and enter the results in Poolmath.

The muriatic acid should have a strength listed on the bottle, those listed as "green" are weaker. If it is 31.45% you would need to add about 40oz. You can measure or eyeball it, about 1/3 of the jug. Do not store that near metal or near chlorine.

Post all of your results when you have time like this:
FC
CC
PH 8.0
TA
CH
CYA
Salt level

Your salt cell is set to 100% production that just means its running all the time when your pump is on. Your automation can be addressed by people who know more about it. But you should be able to go into your easy touch and see how many schedules are set for the pump. There are some good you tube videos that will walk you through how it operates. Your cya level will determine what you should keep your free chlorine at and you can adjust the pump run time or %output on the salt water generator to adjust that.

Whoa Nelly! You guys might be getting ahead of things. She's got an IntelliChem system and a reservoir that looks to be part of it, which may or may not have acid in it (of unknown strength) and may or may not be injecting acid. So advising her to add a full dose of acid based on Pool Math while her injector is also adding doses may or may not be a good idea! We also don't know anything about her runtimes.

I think she's giving us readings off the Chem, but it's not clear if that's the pH level or the pH setting. At least not clear to me.

To be honest, I'm not quiet sure how best to have Muna proceed. I don't know how to run the IntelliChem, and I think its safe to say Muna doesn't either. I was hoping Jim would be here by now. @mknauss, do you have any suggestions, or know who we could call in? Should we have Muna just take the IntelliChem offline? So she can manage the pool manually, get that down first, then bring the Chem back online when she's ready? I think that would also take the IC offline, but I'm not sure of that.

She can't learn Pool School, Pool Math, manual dosing plus ET and SWG and IntelliChem all at once! Well, I couldn't, anyway. She let her pool guy go, and seems to be on her own. She's posting results, and identifying equipment, so she's that far along. Which is great. Thoughts?

Muna, sorry to be talking about you as if you're not here! But I'm trying to sort out for you a strategy of how you can both run, and learn, your pool and a very advanced pool equipment setup all at the same time, without letting either your pH or your FC get out of control. Not to mention your sanity! 🤪

For now, keep testing, keep posting, keep reading. Do you have any Muriatic acid on hand, in a jug? Tell us what percentage it is. Do you have any chlorine on hand? Tell us the percentage of that. Post pictures of the labels if you don't know how to determine the strengths. If you're missing either, get to a pool store and buy some. Be sure they tell you the percentages of each. Do not let them test your water or sell you anything else. They will definitely try. Just say no thanks. It's late there now, so we'll pick this up tomorrow.

Let's get some test results. Let's get some chlorine and acid. Let's get someone that can help with her IntelliChem. And go from there.

I can't very well ask others not to contribute, but I would ask not to bombard her with a bunch of suggestions that would further tax the learning curve. And if I'm the one not being helpful here, I'll step out too, no problem.

So Muna, if I've got your pronoun wrong, please let me know. Nice name, just haven't met a Muna before! Great job today. Talk to ya tomorrow! :)

Reactions: Muna
Muna, OK, we'll take it slow because we don't know what your acid injecting system is doing, and we don't know if your pH is 8, or higher than 8. Start with 15oz of your 31.45% acid. Pour that in slowly while the pump is running, just above a return jet, so that the acid trickles into the water (a stream about the size of a pencil) and the return's current will push the acid into your pool and mix it in. Don't get any on you. Don't breath in the fumes. And don't spill any on the deck, it'll stain. We all do this without gloves, etc. but be careful or glove up, glasses on, until you're used to handling this stuff. Test in an hour or so, or tomorrow morning. If you get to ph 7.8, then that's good. If it's still at 8, go another 15 oz. Or less, we can sneak up on the pH and not overshoot. Repeat until you get to 7.8, then report back.

Have a good night!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
She should be safe adding muriatic acid. If the Stenner set up is adding acid then it isn't adding enough or the PH wouldn't be at 8. I'd add a quart & check it again in a couple days.
No. Her ET was in service mode. Which means her Stenner was not likely injecting. We don't know how long it was off. So the pool could have been slowly rising to 8 over a day or a week or a month. Or not at all. She just turned it on today. Her SWG is cranked, we don't know who did that or if it should be. We don't know if her Stenner is also cranked, which means she could be pouring in a quart, while the Stenner is now going at it too, just right or full bore. We also don't know if she's actually at 8. So we're going to see what it takes to get her into the 7s. Then we're going to see if the Stenner is doing anything, and if so, what. Other than that, you're fundamentally right, because a quart is not going to trash her pH. But were going to confirm that in a few hours, or tomorrow AM. Not in a couple of days, now that the Stenner is on and could be pumping who knows what. Baby steps... ;)

Last edited:
I would be wary if it is an Intellichem. That has a pH probe and will add acid based on that probe. You have to be sure the probe is properly calibrated.

Roger that. It is. With ORP, to boot! She's got an SWG, but only CYA30 (because of the ORP, I'm presuming). I'm hoping to get some help tomorrow, from someone that knows the IntelliChem, and see if we can shut it down for now, to stop the acid injector, but somehow still keep the IC going with the just the ET. Then teach Muna how to test and dose manually for now for pH (I think she's got that), and then how to get the SWG set. Whew. Then make sure she has a good runtime. Then make sure the spa is getting circulated each day. Then have some breakfast!!! Down the road, once she's gotten comfortable with all that, she can study the Chem and decide if she ever wants to get it going again or not (I'd vote not). What am I forgetting? Beside the fact that I don't know how to do some of those things!! Calling all cars!

Last edited:
Hopefully we can agree on this:
1. Since the Intellichem was turned on yesterday the PH should be checked before adding acid.
2. If the PH is still 8 or higher then with the pump running add a pint of acid.
3. After 30 minutes repeat #2 until PH is 7.6 - 7.8.

No. Her ET was in service mode. Which means her Stenner was not likely injecting. We don't know how long it was off. So the pool could have been slowly rising to 8 over a day or a week or a month. Or not at all. She just turned it on today. Her SWG is cranked, we don't know who did that or if it should be. We don't know if her Stenner is also cranked, which means she could be pouring in a quart, while the Stenner is now going at it too, just right or full bore. We also don't know if she's actually at 8. So we're going to see what it takes to get her into the 7s. Then we're going to see if the Stenner is doing anything, and if so, what. Other than that, you're fundamentally right, because a quart is not going to trash her pH. But were going to confirm that in a few hours, or tomorrow AM. Not in a couple of days, now that the Stenner is on and could be pumping who knows what. Baby steps... ;)
Thank you!! I added muriatic acid last night and ph is 7.4 now. You guys are awesome!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.