A tad cloudy. Bleach issues or pH/TA problems?

Jul 10, 2018
La Crosse
Hi all. We didn’t do a good job closing our pool for winter. We had a baby at the end of August and it was pretty green. We chucked bleach in it and called it good. It stayed uncovered for the winter. We opened it a bit early this year Since we knew it was going to be a beast. Since it was turning a bit green again, he insisted we put trichlor tabs in to tide us over until we could really tackle it. I eventually caved because it was just still cold to really get after it.

Fast forward a few weeks. I pulled the trichlor awhile ago and have been managing with bleach. We got most of the much vacuumed up off the bottom. But the pool is still pretty cloudy. I’ve been using the “bleach solutions” bleach from menards. I’ve seen you can’t use the clorox that contains colormax but have never understood why. Does it make it cloudy/sudsy? Because I’m wondering if the brand I have has something like that and it’s affecting the clarity? Or did the trichlor have something to do with it?

here are my numbers:
FC 1.5
pH 8.0
TA 140
CYA ~35/40
In addition to the cloudiness, the after the water dries on the skin it has a chalky yet silky feeling when you rub your hands together. Never dealt with that either. Ahhh.

I know, my chlorine is currently low but wanted to wait for feedback before dumping more of the possibly weird bleach in. I also have him bring some muriatic acid home just in case, but also didn’t want to mess with that too much in case my bleach is the problem. Additionally, does trichlor raise pH? I’ve never had higher than 7.8 before but have also never used trichlor. I want to learn more about it for when we are gone for an extended period. I understand the additional stabilizer in it for the most part, but am unsure of how it affects pH.

6599EE9C-5ADA-4C16-BBC7-6FAAD89B3DB8.jpeg

Thanks for your help in advance. I want the pool to be safe for the baby. I’m off to dive deeper into pool heaters because Wisconsin temps are never kind on a day to day basis. :)

Menard's carries liquid chlorine that is 12.5% I believe. I would discontinue using household bleach, they all have some form of additives now.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. Read through the article and let us know your questions.

Reactions: IceShadow
Menard's carries liquid chlorine that is 12.5% I believe. I would discontinue using household bleach, they all have some form of additives now.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. Read through the article and let us know your questions.

he’s bringing that home to me now! Haha.

@mknauss Do I need to SLAM even if my CC is 0 and I’m not losing chlorine??

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.