A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Just finished Pool School. He told me I was the most knowledgable person on pool chems that he's ever Pool Schooled! Thanks to y'all here at TFP!!! I showed him my test kit and he was impressed. Pool company only gives you test strips which he even admitted aren't very accurate.

But, he did bring a nice welcome basket/soft side cooler with beach towels, plastic cups, sun screen, lip balm and a beach ball. All, of course, had their logo on them, but I don't really care. I'll definitely use them.

Oh and also he told me with all of the rain we have had, there is a salt shortage in town. My salt cell had a short in it so he fixed that. Been working fine since, but salt is down to 2700. Pool service dropped in a chlorine tab last week (due to the short in the salt cell line it wasn't making chlorine like it should) so it has chlorine.

Last edited:
Thanks TM! They are going to deliver it tomorrow because I told them I had planned on using it today because it was my day off, which is true. They are also going to arrange pick up of the fertilizer on Monday, so I'll just leave the box on the porch.

View attachment 49849

Doesn't look like deicer to me....

Yea! I'm glad they accommodated!

That stinks about a salt shortage! Hope that gets resolved quick or a lot of us TFPers will have a problem. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marla were you grinning from ear to ear when he said that??? TFP scores again! SWEET!

Kim:cat:

Kim, yes I was pretty happy! He was also interested in my test kit and wanted to know how much I paid for it. When I told him, he thought it a pretty good deal.

Just buy water softener salt. My Lowes had stacks of it and it cost half the price the pool stores charge.

WASP, I thought I had read on the forum about not using water softener salt, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

In accordance with definition found in TFP: "Pool Salt

• Sodium Chloride, used for Salt Water Chlorine Generators. It usually has a smaller crystal size than water softener solar salt and costs about twice as much. Ordinary water softener solar salt or pellets that have a purity of at least 99.5% and do not have any additives for cleaning water softeners or removing iron are fine to use in your pool and are what most manufacturers of SWGs recommend! The only advantage to pool salt is that it dissolves slightly faster. Do not use food grade salt in a pool under any circumstances. Food grade salt contains yellow prussiate of soda (sodium ferrocyanide) as an anti-caking ingredient and that can cause iron staining in your pool."

Hope that helps with finding the right salt for your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jet! We love how the pool turned out. I still don't love the pavers, but I can live with them for awhile. We need to let the bank account recover before we do another major project. I would definitely recommend our PB!

Now that we have finally gotten a break in the weather, on to landscaping! It's great to be able to jump into the pool to cool off!

I just posted this in Backyard Oasis, but Academy stores have 9' tilting umbrellas for $29.00 and stands for $19.00. We bought 2 of each.

We also bought an anti-gravity lounger for $49.00.

We'll see how well they hold up.

It's pretty comfy. Its raining now so haven't had a chance to really check it out. Do you have Academy in Florida?

JBlizzle reported in the other thread that he thinks they are like the ones he bought at another store, which after a freak wind storm, one ended up in his pool and the other somewhere else I can't remember. These have concrete bases which weight 33 lbs so hopefully they will stay anchored.

We have a Sports Academy. Is that it?

With the umbrellas I would at the least close them when not in use. IF you know there is a storm coming I would put them up somewhere.

I showed my husband and he loves the colors also! SWEET!

Kim:cat:

Well, I bought the 50 lb bag of deicer, calcium chloride, that Umm and Bmore bought from Amazon last week. Even used the link Umm gave me. The box came yesterday and I was able to get it into the house. DH and I were going to move it out by the pool so I could broadcast what I needed tomorrow. After I opened the box, I realized Amazon sent me fertilizer! I went back to make sure I didn't order the wrong thing and, nope, I ordered the deicer. So now I have to sent it all back, get it replaced, and figure out out where the best place to get some CH increaser in the meantime. ::sigh::

I have had more mistakes with Amazon in the last month than in the year before that

1st I had an extra bonus item in an order, a start/stop electrical switch tucked in my water hose

2, I ordered fertilizer, (maybe you received mine) Specifically I ordered Copper Sulphate, and I received Potassium Sulphate

3, I ordered a Green fruit picker, and received a RED fruit picker (not a big deal I ordered the green one because it was cheaper, but when the item photo and title say green fruit picker you sort of expect a green one)

4, I ordered 2 different types of puffer toys for the pool, a set of puffer balls and a set of puffer bracelets, and received 2 sets of puffer balls and no puffer bracelets.

5, Ordered a 13 piece hole saw set, received a 12 piece hole saw set

6, Ordered 3 50 ft Gilmour soaker hoses, received 2 50 ft Gilmour soaker hoses and a 50 ft Melnor Soaker hose

7, LED light bar with "free wiring harness" any bet what was not in the box?

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.