RARA

May 20, 2021
Southern Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, all! Here I go.... first off, love this forum! You're helping countless of us out here, who don't have a clue what we're doing. Or, we know just enough to be dangerous.

That said, I grew up with pools, love them. Everyone in my family had a pool, including us, and I remember spending summers with siblings, cousins, friends, in the water. What I don't remember, is ever having to deal with it. My Father took care of it all, and with 5 older siblings, I never got involved with pool care. Yet, I always told myself... someday I'll have a house with a pool. Well, that finally happened about 4 years ago. We moved, and found a wonderful house with a new pool!

Excitement quickly turned to anxiety, when we had to put in a brand new filter (DE, sand, glass medium...) it send me on a journey that hasn't stopped yet. Between friends of mine, our local pool company, countless Google searches, and so many opinions it makes my head spin, I STILL don't really know what I'm doing...BUT I seem to become more knowledgeable with each passing pool season.

So here we are, end of May, here in Southern Vermont, the pool is opened (we do it ourselves, and save $600 with lovely checklist that I put together, from research and a friend's advice). This will be our 3rd pool season, and I'm wondering what it may hold. The first year, it went pretty smoothly, and I thought... piece of cake. The second year (last summer), it was hot, and we ran our heater, our solar cover crapped out on us and fell apart, we battled algae for the first time, and then battled cloudiness (now I know it was from ALL the calcium from the shocking that we did) and then battled algae again. We had CYA lock and all season long, our chlorine was high, and not killing the algae, we drained the pool 1/2 way, sort of fixing it, only to (quite ignorantly) begin the process all over again. Not this year! I researched over the winter months, opened the pool (it was pristine, and only needed some PH up - Baking Soda), and this year I'm trying out Pool RX (I know, I know... I found TFP AFTER I made the decision, and right after installing it) what's done is done. It's in there now, so far it still looks good, so our fingers our crossed. We also went with a brightline glass media in a brand new sand filter, which is supposed to filter down to .5 microns. Our pool does look good each season, so no complaints there, BUT I've now read enough of your threads to start to feel that I'm STILL doing it all wrong.

God help me.

That all being said, our pool was our haven last year during covid. With the loss of a job, a close friend's beloved Mom, 3 of my siblings who caught it early on, and one who was hospitalized for weeks, our pool was our sanctuary. This year, we're fully vaccinated, as our all of our friends, family, neighbors, and anyone we've ever had over to swim, so we're looking forward to splashing around with people again this year. Hopefully, in water that is crystal clear, perfectly balanced, and without swaths of green, slimy goo down one side of the pool like last year.

A guy can dream...

Thanks for listening!

Ray

Reactions: JamesW
Hey Ray! 👋
Glad you’re here!
You don’t need a degree in chemistry to get your pool in hand. If a redneck from Eudora,ms like me can do it u can too & enjoy crystal clear (& i mean crystal) water all season long.
The 1st step is a proper kit
(tf-100 is my preference for value)
Test Kits Compared
It can look overwhelming but just do the tests 1 at a time.
You will do them all at 1st & then just some daily & others weekly or less.
You’ll get a feel for what your pool requires on a daily & weekly basis & the testing will confirm it.
Calculating chemical additions is easy w/
PoolMath (no degree needed)
& if you get the subscription (totally worth it)
- You can keep logs on EVERYTHING even maintenance like backwashing & adding water as well as your costs.
Also you can share your poolmath logs w/ the forum so when you post with a question we can click on your profile & see them.

Reactions: RARA
Welcome!

This will be our 3rd pool season, and I'm wondering what it may hold.
Well, if you follow our advice your pool will look like the ones in the following link, and do it without breaking the bank either! How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

My own Intex pool:
full

Well I have a lot more reading and learning to do! Thank you for all the great comments. When we open the pool this year our water was according to our local testing at our local store, great! But then they told us we needed 19 lb of pH up lol I went home and tested and did add a bunch of baking soda to the pool but I'm still struggling with pH and my TA. I gave it a week and today just tested again using liquid testing kit, strips, and a new digital meter. The results for all different the strip showed around 6.8 pH with alkalinity around 170, the liquid test showed roughly 7 pH in total alkalinity 160, The new digital meter showed pH at 6.2 I don't know what to do I'm researching now trying to look through threads and feel like my summer is going to be spent reading and posting lol I use the pool math calculator on the app here and it says to add 35 lb of soda ash or borax. What is soda ash? Thanks for the help! I attached a screenshot of the app suggestion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-122433.png
    Screenshot_20210523-122433.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 3
We don't believe reading from test strips or pool stores. They have proven time and time again to be inaccurate. And meters need to be continuously calibrated.

If you want to make your pool care easy and trouble free, invest in one of the recommended test kits - Test Kits Compared. The TF-100 or TF-Pro is the best bang for the buck as they provide more of the reagents used for residentual pool owners. The SmartStir is a must have too - makes testing easy and very consistent. While you make think it is a lot of money for a test kit, you will save lots of money over pool store "magic" potions and the frustration of continuingto rely on inaccurate test results.

Reactions: RARA
Well I have a lot more reading and learning to do! Thank you for all the great comments. When we open the pool this year our water was according to our local testing at our local store, great! But then they told us we needed 19 lb of pH up lol I went home and tested and did add a bunch of baking soda to the pool but I'm still struggling with pH and my TA. I gave it a week and today just tested again using liquid testing kit, strips, and a new digital meter. The results for all different the strip showed around 6.8 pH with alkalinity around 170, the liquid test showed roughly 7 pH in total alkalinity 160, The new digital meter showed pH at 6.2 I don't know what to do I'm researching now trying to look through threads and feel like my summer is going to be spent reading and posting lol I use the pool math calculator on the app here and it says to add 35 lb of soda ash or borax. What is soda ash? Thanks for the help! I attached a screenshot of the app suggestion.
19 lbs of pH up! WHOA NELLIE.. don't add anything until you get your own test kit.. check this out:
Test Kits Compared
And then after you cogitate all the possibilities, I'll save you the brain cells you'll burn over it and just get this one..
this one has the salt test if you have a SWG.. otherwise get the one with out it.
Then run a full set of tests.. create a new thread in the Testing forum and we will help you from there! you've taken the first step finding this place.. don't go back to the dark side, or the pool store will have you buying all kinds of junk you don't really need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would trust your liquid test over the others you have - ph in the 7’s is fine. If you wish to increase it a little for comfort point all your jets up so they break the surface of the water- aeration is the only way to increase ph w/ out increasing ta.
however with a ta near 160 your ph will increase on its own anyway.
Adding 11# of soda ash
[arm& hammer super washing soda (not laundry detergent) - from the laundry aisle]
will also increase your ta by about 59 which u don’t need to do.
* Ph meters must be calibrated periodically
(w/ a solution that may or may not be included)
also they need to be checked for accuracy against a phenol drop test on a regular basis.
What kit do u have?

Ray, welcome.

if I can do it you can. I was lucky year one (before TFP) this year started with TFP, it’s been great.

It can be overwhelming at first, it won’t take long for you to get to ”hey this is easy”. Once you learn your pools characteristics you’ll be able to back off some tests to weekly or even longer.. in the beginning test often, record in pool math and you’ll be able to easily track, monitor and adjust..

and agree 100% our pool saved us last year, sanctuary!