Savannah Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
First of all, thank you for such an amazing site and wealth of information! I have been reading this site for hours and I now have some hope for pool care success. As per usual, I got the cart in front of the horse and bought a bunch of junk I don’t need per Leslie’s recommendation. I tested the pool yesterday with a Leslie’s deluxe DPD kit and came up with:
FC-4
TC-4 (I couldn’t see a difference)
pH-7.2
TA-90
Salt-3400 (SWG and strip showed same)
I don’t have a way, that I know of, to test for CYA. (TFPro Salt w/smart mix coming)
I then took a sample and went to Leslies to compare my results to theirs as it’s my first time testing. Leslies results:
FC-4.52
TC-5.06
pH-8.1
TA-90
CH-101
CYA-24
Copper-.2
Phosphates-66
Salt-3000 ppm
Leslies told me my chlorine was locked up sold me Fesh and Clear, phosphates weren’t terrible, but they played to my anxiety over last years algae issues and said they would become a problem and sold me some “Perfect Weekly”. Calcium is low so here’s $60 worth of that and then sold me the only thing I probably needed, conditioner for the CYA. I added the Fresh and clear last night, ran SWG for 8 hours at 50% and retested this afternoon. I stumbled across this site and WOW! Won’t be going to anymore pool stores. Wish I would’ve found you sooner. Afternoon test showed:
FC-2
TC-2 ish
pH-7.2
TA-90
Did the Fresh and clear change my pH that much or could Leslies test be that wildly inaccurate? Based on what I read here about SWG’s I’m shooting for a CYA of 70 and a TA of 75, then sticking to CYA/FC chart. TA is a little high, pH borderline low and FC is begging for help due to no CYA support. Any suggestions on moving efficiently toward the correct chemistry? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Return the calcium. You have a vinyl liner pool. CH is not a concern. See Recommended Levels
Add liquid chlorine to get to your target range assuming a 30 ppm cya for now. Once you get your kit, post up a full set of test results.

No idea what is in Fresh & Clear, but don’t rely on Leslie’s numbers or the kit they sold you. You have a much better kit on the way!

No idea what is in Fresh & Clear, but don’t rely on Leslie’s numbers or the kit they sold you. You have a much better kit on the way!
Leslie’s kits use Taylor reagents, so aren’t bad per se. The problem is they don’t contain all the tests recommended here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.