Leslie results and recommendations

Kaspergbge

Jul 10, 2023
Omaha, NE
So I just got a house that has a pool. I have ordered my Taylor 2006 kit, but it has not arrived so I took a pool sample to Leslies. Not something I want to do, but only thing I could do. Here are the results for a 27,000 gallon pool.
FC - 0.35
TC - 2.11
PH - 7.5
TA - 55
CH - 179
CYA - 90
Copper - 0.4
Phosphates - 1406

They are recommending a CuLator PowerPak for Metals, adding Alkality up, Shock it at night and NoPhos to remove Phosphates.

I know they are in the business of making money so I told them I have some of this product at home and come back and get what I need. Any recommendations on doing something different? Thanks in advance.

Add enough Liquid Chlorine to get you FC up to 5PPM ASAP. That is first and foremost. Quickly calculating that based on a 27k pool, that would be roughly 1 1/2 Gallons of 10% bleach. I would also, personally, add about that much each day until your test kit arrives and then post an accurate set of results. I would also recommend updating your signature with all the know components of your pool( pool type. fliter type, source of chlorine, size pump, etc...) this will help the experts walk you through all the proper steps and recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLP and Kaspergbge
So I just got a house that has a pool. I have ordered my Taylor 2006 kit, but it has not arrived so I took a pool sample to Leslies. Not something I want to do, but only thing I could do. Here are the results for a 27,000 gallon pool.
FC - 0.35
TC - 2.11
PH - 7.5
TA - 55
CH - 179
CYA - 90
Copper - 0.4
Phosphates - 1406

They are recommending a CuLator PowerPak for Metals, adding Alkality up, Shock it at night and NoPhos to remove Phosphates.

I know they are in the business of making money so I told them I have some of this product at home and come back and get what I need. Any recommendations on doing something different? Thanks in advance.
Don’t add any of the stuff they recommended. The culator is snake oil.

While you’re waiting for your test kit to arrive, you can add the chlorinating liquid like mentioned above, from Walmart, Leslie’s, hardware store, etc. If you use bleach, it’s gotta be super plain with no additives like cloromax, perfumes, etc. Chlorinating liquid is generally a safer option.

Aside from that, how was the pool being chlorinated previously? There’s evidence of copper in the water (the only pool store test TFP somewhat accepts). Since your CYA might also be high, exchanging some water with fresh water would get both copper and CYA down. But don’t worry about that until your test kit arrives.

Add enough Liquid Chlorine to get you FC up to 5PPM ASAP. That is first and foremost. Quickly calculating that based on a 27k pool, that would be roughly 1 1/2 Gallons of 10% bleach. I would also, personally, add about that much each day until your test kit arrives and then post an accurate set of results. I would also recommend updating your signature with all the know components of your pool( pool type. fliter type, source of chlorine, size pump, etc...) this will help the experts walk you through all the proper steps and recommendations.
All good advice here. I'd just like to add if you do need to raise TA, use Baking Soda which is what "alkalinity up" is, just 4x as expensive.

And generally, if shopping in the pool store (not recommended), ignore the product names and just look at the ingredients.

Will update for sure. Still getting some of that info. Thanks.

Don’t add any of the stuff they recommended. The culator is snake oil.

While you’re waiting for your test kit to arrive, you can add the chlorinating liquid like mentioned above, from Walmart, Leslie’s, hardware store, etc. If you use bleach, it’s gotta be super plain with no additives like cloromax, perfumes, etc. Chlorinating liquid is generally a safer option.

Aside from that, how was the pool being chlorinated previously? There’s evidence of copper in the water (the only pool store test TFP somewhat accepts). Since your CYA might also be high, exchanging some water with fresh water would get both copper and CYA down. But don’t worry about that until your test kit arrives.
Thanks for the info. Pool was being chlorinated by tabs in skimmer it looks like.

FC - 0.35
TC - 2.11
PH - 7.5
TA - 55
CH - 179
CYA - 90
Copper - 0.4
Phosphates - 1406

Welcome to TFP and congratulations of the new house and inherited pool.

Let's use the Leslie test results as a learning tool and not focus too much on its numbers as we don't trust any pool store tests.

Your FC needs to follow the FC/CYA Levels. The average pool consumes 3-4 ppm/day. As was said before, without being able to properly test just pour about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine in daily. 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will give you 3.7 ppm of Fc which is good enough. So add 1 gallon per day until you get your test kit.

FC + CC = TC We don't measure Total Chlorine but if you have a CC over 1 it would be concerning that you have an algae problem lurking. You will figure that out when you get your test kit.

pH in the 7's is ok

Leslie measure of TA is an adjusted TA that subtracts a portion of your CYA. We don't adjust our TA measurements. So you cannot use TFP TA guidance with Leslie TA test. Your TA is likely not low and should not be raised. It just looks low due to the TA adjustment Leslie does.

Your CH may be a bit low but wait until you do your own testing.

Your CYA may be high depending on how you chorlinate your pool but wait to judge when you run your own tests.

Copper level is concerning. How does your pool look? Any staining?

The CULator is a waste of money in my book.

Your high CYA and high copper may be reason for you to significantly drain the pool or do a water exchange. You are in Omaha where you close the pool for the winter. If you can get through this pool season the best time to get fresh water into the pool may be at pool closing.

Phosphates of 1400 is low, not high and requires no action.

So overall you look ok right now until you get your test kit. Just add chlorine.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP and congratulations of the new house and inherited pool.

Let's use the Leslie test results as a learning tool and not focus too much on its numbers as we don't trust any pool store tests.

Your FC needs to follow the FC/CYA Levels. The average pool consumes 3-4 ppm/day. As was said before, without being able to properly test just pour about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine in daily. 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will give you 3.7 ppm of Fc which is good enough. So add 1 gallon per day until you get your test kit.

FC + CC = TC We don't measure Total Chlorine but if you have a CC over 1 it would be concerning that you have an algae problem lurking. You will figure that out when you get your test kit.

pH in the 7's is ok

Leslie measure of TA is an adjusted TA that subtracts a portion of your CYA. We don't adjust our TA measurements. So you cannot use TFP TA guidance with Leslie TA test. Your TA is likely not low and should not be raised. It just looks low due to the TA adjustment Leslie does.

Your CH may be a bit low but wait until you do your own testing.

Your CYA may be high depending on how you chorlinate your pool but wait to judge when you run your own tests.

Copper level is concerning. How does your pool look? Any staining?

The CULator is a waste of money in my book.

Your high CYA and high copper may be reason for you to significantly drain the pool or do a water exchange. You are in Omaha where you close the pool for the winter. If you can get through this pool season the best time to get fresh water into the pool may be at pool closing.

Phosphates of 1400 is low, not high and requires no action.

So overall you look ok right now until you get your test kit. Just add chlorine.
Thanks for the great info also. Previous owners were using tabs in the skimmer. I am going with liquid chlorine. Regarding how the pool looks, it looks amazing. Crystal clear.

And to everyone else. Thanks again for the great advice. Poured chlorine in tonight and I got some baking soda to use.

Correct, the best option is the Pool Essentials you can get from Walmart all daylong for $5.47
I have a local mom and pop pool store 4 miles from my house, I get a 5 gallon returnable car-boy jug of 12.5% for 5.50 a gallon.

Its best to check around.

Look into janitorial supply stores as well. It has been reported that they may fill your gallon jug from their drum for less than that.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not necessarily The best option, but certainly an option. Pool essentials is 10% sodium hypochlorite.

I have a local mom and pop pool store 4 miles from my house, I get a 5 gallon returnable car-boy jug of 12.5% for 5.50 a gallon.

Its best to check around.

Look into janitorial supply stores as well. It has been reported that they may fill your gallon jug from their drum for less than that
That may certainly be the case, but I was merely giving the OP a quick easy option so that he wouldnt have to google "closest mom and pop store" knowing Walmart's are on almost every corner. Forgive me be speaking out of line.

That may certainly be the case, but I was merely giving the OP a quick easy option so that he wouldnt have to google "closest mom and pop store" knowing Walmart's are on almost every corner. Forgive me be speaking out of line.
I don't think you were out of line at all. I'm sorry you felt that way.

I was simply trying to add to your useful post to help the op. They may not be aware that there are other options. I think one member here found 12.5% at a janitorial supply for under $4.00 a gallon. Maybe even under $3.50, by getting his (or hers) own containers filled from their giant drum.

Forgive me if I seemed other than trying to help. I meant no disrespect.

Last edited:
I don't think you were out of line at all. I'm sorry you felt that way.

I was simply trying to add to your useful post to help the op. They may not be aware that there are other options. I think one member here found 12.5% at a janitorial supply for under $4.00 a gallon. Maybe even under $3.50, by getting his (or hers) own containers filled from their giant drum.

Forgive me if I seemed other than trying to help. I meant no disrespect.
I am the one that over-reacted. I have a bad habit of doing that, so this is all on me. My apologies for being out of line. At the end of the day, we both were trying to help someone out and my ego got in the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.