99% sure my SWG died

ajup2it

Sep 3, 2019
Indiana
Hi all. I believe my SWG has died.
1. I've cleaned the cell with the water and muratic acid mix this week. It tried to produce chlorine I think, that night, but then has dropped off since. I've added liquid chlorine to keep my pool water nice. I've been running my SWG at 100% with the cover closed and its still not even remotely raising my FC. Is there anything I'm missing in my attempt to get it working again or shall I just give time of death and carry on?

2. If the latter, how do I handle my pool through the end of the season until next spring so I can replace my SWG? I've never owned any other pool type before so what I need to understand is do I just add liquid chlorine and keep my levels per the chlorine CYA chart for non SWG pools? Or to I use tablets or whatever non SWG people do? I really don't know! Also do I need to concern myself with the salt that is in the pool at all since non swg pools don't have that? You're welcome to see my pool math logs for what I've tried and my pool chem. Any advice would be great here and appreciated!!

Before you ask why I'm waiting to replace it, understand that I've been furloughed in April, lost my job July 3rd, hubby had emergency surgery July 6th, hubby's car died mid July and still isn't fixed, and I had shoulder surgery Aug 13th. I've just now found work so I'm trying to recover financially before dropping tons of cash but also important is not fouling my pool because correcting it costs too. TMI? Perhaps but someone is going to ask "why don't you just get another one?" so there's the reason why I'm unable to. The only thing that has gone right this year is that we still have a roof over our head, my kid is doing well, and I have had NO algae blooms in my pool.

3. Recommendations on SWG replacements?? You see in my sig what I have but is there something else you recommend more? Also what about the automated panel that is now available? Anyone have that? Thoughts so I can go into this armed with more knowledge/understanding?

What lights are showing on the cell? Post a picture.

Follow the non-SWCG FC/CYA Levels using liquid chlorine. You might consider just doing that until you winterize and plan for a SWCG replacement/upgrade in the early spring.

Reactions: ajup2it
That indicates the SWCG is generating chlorine.

Are there bubbles coming out of the returns?

I would suspect algae is consuming your chlorine as fast as your making it. I know you say no algae, but it is not always visible.

It would be very unusual for an IC40 to have that presentation and not be generating chlorine.

I would suspect algae is consuming your chlorine as fast as your making it. I know you say no algae, but it is not always visible.

It would be very unusual for an IC40 to have that presentation and not be generating chlorine.
I hear what you're saying but I have literally checked all the hot spots for algae and prior to my surgery, I brushed all the walls, etc. The only place that might have it is that *&#$ light niche but it was clean last week. I'll have to have someone check it for me. I can tell you that over this summer I've had to continually increase my SWG percentage. its like the lights are on but no one is home on the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the pump runtime?
Pump run time is 24/7. I use TF-100 test kit.
I have to run the test again this evening and I can try the OCLT and retest in the morning.
As of last night:
FC 5
pH 7.3
CYA 60
TA 90
CH 425
Salt 3000 (seems to be dropping)
I've added no water or had any rain water in the pool. I added 40 lbs of salt to my pool exactly 7 days ago where it rose to 3400. I added water to the pool and stabilizer 10 days ago which raised it to 80 and now its 60.

ajup,

When experts suspect algae it's likely to be the cause. You can rule this out easily just do an OCLT tonight. If this proves you don't have algae you have a couple of experts that will very quickly help you confirm the swg output.

Chris

Reactions: Newdude and ajup2it
ajup,

When experts suspect algae it's likely to be the cause. You can rule this out easily just do an OCLT tonight. If this proves you don't have algae you have a couple of experts that will very quickly help you confirm the swg output.

Chris
Understood. I would figure that I would at least have salt in my pool that isn't dropping. That part puzzles me too. Like I said in an above post, I will try the OCLT. My pool chemistry has been pretty good all summer with no issues. I literally test my water every other day. I don't know anyone locally that works as hard on a pool as I do of a given week. I just don't understand.

Your salt level cannot drop unless you remove water from the pool. Are you adding more fill water than normal?

Your salt level cannot drop unless you remove water from the pool. Are you adding more fill water than normal?
I've not added any water in 10 days, though I'll say that we did fill it more than previously, but then I tested the next day to see what needed added/adjusted. I'll order new salt water testing and see if that's the issue. Maybe its gone bad? The rest of my kit is new this May so it should still be good, right?

My SWG is new and few month back by FC was zero at 1/2 power 24.7..I was ****** and cleaned the cell and was about to call discountsalt and complain but noticed a small 2" green spot and just did a SLAM
Now FC is at 7 at 1/3 power

My cell was clear and I noticed it was making bubbles

My mistake was I tried to keep FC at the min of 3 which worked until a few heavy rains..Water always looked perfect

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
My SWG is new and few month back by FC was zero at 1/2 power 24.7..I was ****** and cleaned the cell and was about to call discountsalt and complain but noticed a small 2" green spot and just did a SLAM
Now FC is at 7 at 1/3 power

My mistake was I tried to keep FC at the min of 3 which worked until a few heavy rains..Water always looked perfect
I learned my lesson with that last year and that's exactly why I've kept my FC between 7-9 all summer this year.

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma
What is the manufacturing date from the back of the cell?

Does the Cell light stay on solid all the time?

Do you know how to check the current and voltage going to the power supply?

What is the manufacturing date from the back of the cell?

Does the Cell light stay on solid all the time?

Do you know how to check the current and voltage going to the power supply?
The light stays solid all the time.

The other two questions I will have to have my husband look at. I'm down an arm and can't do much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.