GPM and Run Time

There is a complex calculation that can determine GPM, but it really isn't worth doing.

Turnovers is not what matters. How the water looks is what is important.

See the article in Pool School on determining pump runtime for more information.

Like Jason said, what matters is the clarity of the water, not some rule of thumb turn over per day unless you are in a commercial regulated environment. This is different for each pool depending on amount of debris blown in, pool use, etc. So our general suggestions for variable speed pumps is run it as slow as you can and still maintain good skimming action and keep your equipment (SWG, Heater, etc) that requires a certain amount of flow happy. In the case of your suction side cleaner this will probably be a higher level than everything else and you will probably need to program enough high speed run time to keep the bottom clean. Then just cut back on run time until you start seeing water clarity issues, then turn it back up a bit.

Ike

p.s. it is best to do this fine tuning with a somewhat dirty filter so you will not drop below minimum flow requirements when the filter gets dirty

Here is my baby... before and after
Just got done with a complete remodel 2 days ago.
Resurface, deck, filter system, SWG...

I have to take really good care of this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 10.52.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 10.52.32 AM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.44.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.44.08 PM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 56
Here is the quick and skinny on the pool.
We didn't build the pool. Previous owners did.
They did a BYOP.
They did it on the cheap.
They put is a spa filter system.
The pool got away from me several times for a number of reasons.
The hardest pool I have ever owned and I owned many.

The PebbleTec was a greenish blue. As you can see it was white.

We are in Arizona, and live on a well. The fill water is very hard. Pool was filled by truck with city water. Weather that is better, who the **** knows anymore.

Nonetheless I have all the best stuff.

In the mean time till the Pebble settles and is fully cured, I have to hand chemical till we fire up the SWG.

My intelliflo is insane and I need to determine, when and how long to run it. Thus the initial question.

If any one can help.

Current average temps - 108° during the dayl
Pool temp - 90°
What times to run?
What durations?
What speeds?

Chlorine currently - 3
pH currently - 7.2 - 7.5 range

Thanks again in advance.
D

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Did you happen to read the article that Jason pointed out?
Here it is: Determine Pump Run Time

If you want a starting place. Try 1000rpm (most efficient) for 4-6 hours. Maybe split the run time up some in the day some at night.

If 1000 will not skim well enough, increase the speed.

Once you start up the SWG, you will have to figure out what speed is required to keep the SWG working ... that may then make you adjust the run time which it turn may require a SWG % adjustment. It is all trial and error.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, What test kit do you have? What is your CYA currently?

Have you read much of Pool School? These might be a good start to learn our recommendations:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Water Balance for SWGs

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Did you happen to read the article that Jason pointed out?
Here it is: Determine Pump Run Time

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, What test kit do you have? What is your CYA currently?

Have you read much of Pool School? These might be a good start to learn our recommendations:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Water Balance for SWGs

Yes I read it and will digest it.
Boy I thought chemistry class was tough...
Will get the CYA tomorrow and pass the data on...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.