Another Green Pool Battle

I would leave it running as you are SLAMMING hard!

What happens when you brush the pool? Do you see any "dust"?

Has there been a color change at all with your pool? It really did not look that bad in the first pic you shared (at least compared to some of the swamps seen LOL).

No need to add any more chlorine. Let it drift down to "normal" SLAM levels.

Interesting, very interesting.

LOVE the pics! That is some dark color you have going on in the tube.

Kim

@Beens thanks for the late night response and I did remember reading that somewhere about the CYA test so I will find it again

Ran the pump all night and did a set of early morning tests before any sun hit the pool:

FC: 42
CC: 0
TC: 42
CH: 450
TA: 80
CYA: 90
PH: 7.5

Not sure what to do now... should I consider draining some pool water and filling fresh? Since the FC is higher than the calculated SLAM value should I leave the FC and just keep running the pump until it comes down and consider this the SLAM process?

Almost forgot: I did check the chlorinator and it had the remnants of pucks still in their and 2 of them were still pretty big so I removed them all but still left it turned off. For the record my wife and I agree that we have NEVER seen the pool look so clear and so clean
:)

Last edited:
Funny you ask that about the "dust" in all the years we had the pool if I would brush there was always "dust" but right now their is absolutely NO dust and the color and clarity are simply amazing... I guess I never really saw the pool truly "clean"

I am going to order more R-0871 today because at this rate I will blow through the bottle in no time

20140624_090559.jpg20140624_090702.jpg20140624_090732.jpg

...and yes I will eventually address the pool stains which can now be seen :p

I would leave it running as you are SLAMMING hard!

What happens when you brush the pool? Do you see any "dust"?

Has there been a color change at all with your pool? It really did not look that bad in the first pic you shared (at least compared to some of the swamps seen LOL).

No need to add any more chlorine. Let it drift down to "normal" SLAM levels.

Interesting, very interesting.

LOVE the pics! That is some dark color you have going on in the tube.

Kim

Last edited:
Good morning and...here ya go!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

So much easier to find stuff on the computer. :)

It's at the bottom of post #8

Once you know your CYA for sure you can use Pool Math and put in your current CYA and your target and see how much water you have to replace.

Normally 30 is recommended for a SLAM but since you're already up there on the FC and your water is pretty clear, I have a feeling that you'd be ok if you could just get it down to between 40 and 50.

I'm not comfortable making definite suggestions for levels though so maybe another more confident expert can help on that? :) It's just my 2 cents!

and by the way...
Beautiful Pool!

@Beens & @Butterfly thanks for the comments on the pool... we were very lucky when we found this house with a pool... it was a "wish list" item for us :) now I am working on the entire backyard since it is pretty much a blank canvas... and I am pretty much a blank of ideas lol

The pool is a western exposure so it definitely gets a good amount of sun all day, which is actually great for us. The 90 CYA seems pretty consistent in the test and it matches the result from 2nd pool store I went to so I am thinking that it is accurate even though I am still a newbie to all this testing.

I pretty much did do the OCLT because the sample I took late last night had the same FC as the one I took this morning and this morning I had no CC. Since my FC is still high and I am basically SLAMing I am going to keep my pump running all night again, test a few more times today and then do a OCLT again tonight.

I used the Pool Math and see that I would need to replace about 22% (almost 3500 Gal) of the water to drop from 90 to 70... part of me wants to do this now but another part of me is wondering if I can wait because of the weather we have here in Miami. For one we're in rainy season and there is no question that I will need to drain the pool a number of times due to rain but it is also summer and their will definitely be times when the blazing hot will cause me to have to add water to the pool so I am wondering if all that will lower CYA naturally.

The main thing (until you pass the OCLT) will be keeping that FC at shock level for 90 which will be pretty high. (39?) Of course you're already there so now it's a matter of the M for maintain!

Draining because of rain will lower the CYA over time, but filling because of evaporation will not. (just FYI in case you didn't know)

Let's see what the experts say! lol

My comments in red:

I pretty much did do the OCLT because the sample I took late last night had the same FC as the one I took this morning and this morning I had no CC. Since my FC is still high and I am basically SLAMing I am going to keep my pump running all night again, test a few more times today and then do a OCLT again tonight.
Good plan. I think you are there already, but another confirmation OCLT is a good idea.

I used the Pool Math and see that I would need to replace about 22% (almost 3500 Gal) of the water to drop from 90 to 70... part of me wants to do this now but another part of me is wondering if I can wait because of the weather we have here in Miami. For one we're in rainy season and there is no question that I will need to drain the pool a number of times due to rain but it is also summer and their will definitely be times when the blazing hot will cause me to have to add water to the pool so I am wondering if all that will lower CYA naturally.

Absolutely the rains will dilute the CYA for you. But, you must be diligent maintaining the FC levels properly. Coming down from the SLAM into maintenance with 90 CYA, keep the FC between 8 and 12, and never below 8.

Its been a hot sunny day here and until now the sun has been out and shining most of the day on the pool, now its overcast and cloudy and will probably rain soon. I just did another FC reading and I checked it 2x just to make sure. Does this seem right?

78 to possibly 80 drops which means:
FC = 39 to 40
CC = 0 both times

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was 46 yesterday afternoon, then 42 last night, 42 this morning and 39/40 around 3:30 today and I haven't added anything... only taking tests. I will take another sample tonight and do a OCLT test in the morning before I go to work but then I will be away overnight so I don't want to screw this up.

Maybe I am confused. I though you said it was around 40 yesterday and the same this morning and the same this afternoon without adding any.

The drop from 42 to 40 seems awfully slow to me.

You don't have a cover on the pool do you?

With a CYA of 90ppm, I would have guessed you would be loosing ~15-20% of the FC every day. So a drop from 46 to 39 is about 15% so I suppose that is reasonable

Just went out and took my evening sample for the OCLT... pump is still running and the rain was light:

FC: 39-40
TC: 39-40
CH: 450
TA: 80
CYA: 90
PH: 7.4-7.5

Definitely no cover on the pool and pretty much open sky space above, no real tree coverage at all

OK I think we got it :D

Did my FC & CC measurement this morning for the OCLT

FC: 38.5-39

I will now brush the pool and clean the filter again and if you think that I should consider this a completed SLAM should I address the CH level now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.