Another Green Pool Battle

Wed morning was the last set of tests I ran before I went away for an overnight trip. I also stopped running the pump 24hrs starting Wed evening at 6:30 PM. Today Friday I ran another full set of tests:

FC: 28.5/29
CC: 0
TC: 28.5/29
CH: 400
TA: 80
CYA: 100 (I ran 2x and it is definitely closer to 100 now)
PH: 7.4/7.5

The FC is drifting down but it is so early in out summer season that now I am beginning to feel I should drain the pool to drop the CYA... any thoughts would be appreciated.

CYA: 100 (I ran 2x and it is definitely closer to 100 now)

It sounds like your CYA is definitely over 100, I'd reiterate the recommendation for you to do the dilution CYA test.
Fill the mixing tube with pool water to the lower mark (or bottom of label) and then with tap water to the higher mark (or top of label). Cap and shake briefly to mix. Pour away half (so that it is at the lower mark) and add R-0013 to upper mark. Continue testing as per normal, but multiply result by 2.
See also Extended test kit directions, post #8, step 9.

Thank you both for responding... at this point I really don't think I will dilution test the CYA because IMHO no matter what the result I am definitely high and I think I will concede and just start draining the pool now. I will do some quick research on the forum but in general do I just start draining, then refill, then start testing and balancing the chemistry as quickly as possible?

PS-just a side comment, my water clarity is simply amazing, NEVER seen the pool so clear :p

Multi tasking at its finest! LOL

Wait until you see the sparkle with a balanced pool! There was one time I had to run out the door to see where my water went! I was washing dishes looking at the pool and could not see the water as the pump was off and it was SO clear.....

Kim

Yesterday I drained the pool about 40%... very subjective really but I figured it was close enough based on the math and my target of about 70 CYA. Took a LONG time to refill and didn't finish until maybe 11:00 last night. I decided to keep the pump running all night again (OH BOY I am afraid of this months bill lol)

Ran tests early this morning... here are the results:

FC: 17/17.5
CC: .5
TC: 17.5/18
CH: 325
CYA: 60

My tap water FC: 2

Very happy with the results and Kim your so right... the water is incredibly clear now, it's showing every stain and imperfection in the plaster so now I have more to add to my list lol :). I thought the FC would have come down more but I wasn't actually thinking about that just the CYA. Is the pool safe to swim in now with the FC so high? Now that the CYA is lower I am wondering how long it will take to come down to the target FC.

PS - after I finish I bit more of the pond work I will post a pic in a different thread... now I have to thank you for getting my pond finished too :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By the time I finished working in the yard it started the afternoon rain so we still havent been in the pool yet. I actually had to drain some water this morning and just took my tests:

FC: 12/12.5
CC: .0
TC: 12.0/12.5
CH: 325
CYA: maybe 70 (terrible time reading CYA today, I kept repeating and got different results each time, not sure why but I will try again later)

Been doing a LOT of yard work and other projects around the house for the last 2 days so I haven't really been testing for 2 days PLUS its been raining like crazy here. To give you and idea of how much rain in the past 2 days I have had to drain off about 6 inches or more from the pool.

I decided to bring some water samples to my PaP store and also run my own tests:

STORE

FC: 4
CC: .0
CH: 175
TA: 85
CYA: 90
PH: 7.6

ME

FC: 5
CC: .5
CH: 275-300
CYA: 60

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.