Chris From Central California

MonsterPoolMan said:
Thanks guys! I found the other one on the net for around $50. I am going to drain 3/4 of my water this weekend. I love this site! 1st problem I had in years and I thought I was doing the right thing all the time! I will keep you updated.

One thing I found, for double the price of renting a submersible pump, I am just going to purchase one for under $90.

One more question, I never used liquid bleach or chlorine, how often do you have to put that stuff in once your balanced? Should I purchase a whole bunch like I did when I used pucks?
I'd hold off draining that much water until I had my own test results. You could be at 150. You could also be much higher. When I took over my pool care, my CYA was in the 220-240 range!

As for using bleach: it's pretty much a daily thing during the swim season. When the water gets cold and there's not a lot of sun, you lose less, so if you overdose a little you might be able to go two or three days. It's exactly what my signature line says...

Bought the Taylor K-2006 on line so I will have to wait a few days. Bought a submersible pump and I am just going to drain 3/4 of the water. Doing it now. I will keep you updated. BTW, 30 gallons per minute is slow! lol

Draining the pool fully is not advised, we actually do not advise draining more than 6"-1ft at a time, but if your water table is low, you should be OK. You can start re-filling. I would just inspect the cartridges, but replacing them won't hurt.

dmanb2b said:
Draining the pool fully is not advised, we actually do not advise draining more than 6"-1ft at a time, but if your water table is low, you should be OK. You can start re-filling. I would just inspect the cartridges, but replacing them won't hurt.

Water table??? Bands are broke on 2 cartridges. They used to be blue on the rubber part but now are green. I was curious, why only 6 feet?

Water table is the depth under ground where you find water. If it is close to the surface you can float the pool wreaking the deck and plumbing.

Sent via Tapatalk...

If you keep track of how much powder or pucks you use, they are fine.

Although it is simpler to just as the stabilizer and chlorine separately.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
If you keep track of how much powder or pucks you use, they are fine.

Although it is simpler to just as the stabilizer and chlorine separately.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks! I can't believe the mess I got into. Over 10 years using Leslie's pucks and Power Powder, I am surprised my CYA's levels didn't hurt me earlier. I should have my test kit and filters soon. I already have 20 gallons of bleach ready!

Can I use the Leslie's Power Powder as my stabilizer or should I get their Colorbrite?

The easiest would be to get pure stabilizer either from Leslies or Walmart. And then use bleach to add chlorine.

But for reference:
The Power Powder Plus is Cal-hypo, so it adds calcium, NOT stabilizer
The Chlor Brite is Dichlor so it will add CYA and what you may want to use.
Fresh N Clear is a non-chlorine product ... not what you should use.

jblizzle said:
The easiest would be to get pure stabilizer either from Leslies or Walmart. And then use bleach to add chlorine.

But for reference:

What is Fresh and Clear? They tried to sell me that before and I was like WTF if it isn't chlorine, why buy it?

MonsterPoolMan said:
dmanb2b said:

Water table??? Bands are broke on 2 cartridges. They used to be blue on the rubber part but now are green. I was curious, why only 6 feet?

I stated 6" (inches) not feet :smile:

MonsterPoolMan said:
jblizzle said:

But for reference:

What is Fresh and Clear? They tried to sell me that before and I was like *** if it isn't chlorine, why buy it?

It is Monopersulfate. I am not really sure why you would want to use it. Try a search of the forum if you really care. Here are a couple discussions:
chemistry-of-chloramines-indoor-commercial-pool-t39511.html
dupont-oxone-monopersulfate-for-chem-geek-t36583.html?hilit=monopersulfate

jblizzle said:

But for reference:

Can you tell me what is Dichlor at Wal-Mart? I am tired of Leslie's............

Safest bet is to just read the ingredients on the package. Look for something that looks like dichlor.
For example:
The Chlor Brite would say something like: Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione Dihydrate 98+%
The Power Powder would say: Calcium Hypochlorite and somewhere between 50-70%
There are also sometimes powders made of Trichloro (same as tablets)

Walmart carries HTH products, whose "Chlorinating Granules" appear to be cal-hypo and their "shock N Swim" is also cal-hypo, so I am not sure if they sell dichlor or not.

Any reason you are appear opposed to getting HTH Stabilizer and just using liquid chlorine?

Thanks! I went ahead and did a 3/4 drain. I used a sample of the remaining water, and topped it off with tap water and CYA looked to be at 50. I am rolling the dice now and filling it up! Should be about 3 days. I might need Diholar now. I am concerned about high PH because the same test gave me 7.8. I will post numbers when filled and post them. Hopefully it just "bleach away"!

MonsterPoolMan said:
Thanks! I went ahead and did a 3/4 drain. I used a sample of the remaining water, and topped it off with tap water and CYA looked to be at 50. I am rolling the dice now and filling it up! Should be about 3 days. I might need Diholar now. I am concerned about high PH because the same test gave me 7.8. I will post numbers when filled and post them. Hopefully it just "bleach away"!

CYA of 50 is great. pH 7.8 is a touch high but not too high for a lot of us. Drop it down before you bleach bomb it...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support