Chris From Central California

My test kit doesn't arrive until Wednesday next week. So I had dumb Leslie's test the water yesterday at half full and then again with tap water 50% and it was going to be 50 CYA. I had her test it 3 times to be sure. Now at 100% full, a young color blind dude said my CYA is at 120? I called him out and I said the test doesn't go pass 100. He said he guessed? I said I was going to do the recommend pool calculator that said I needed to use 8 gallons of 10% "bleach". He said don't because it will add salt? lol. I did it anyways.

Long story short, I hammered the pool and green is gone! It has been 4 hours and the pool is cloudy still. I am letting the filter run 12 hours. Should that clear up? I have new filters coming Friday. On Wednesday, I will test myself. If CYA is 120, I will drain 58% of the pool like calculator states.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

When in the shock process you should be running the filter 24/7 to clear everything out.
Clean the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Ideally now you that you have raised to shock level (the 8 gallons raised your FC by 30ppm ... the shock level for a CYA of 50ppm is only 20ppm ... so you likely overshot quite a bit which is not recommended), you would be testing hourly to maintain the FC at shock level (which you do not have the test yet).

So, you "might" have killed everything, but no way to know until you can accurately test to maintain the appropriate FC level and to perform the OCLT.

BTW, testing for anything while the pool is still only half full is not going to give you an accurate result for anything without some math to determine what the factor should be.

EDIT, well, I guess that is not true. IF the pool was 50% full and you did the CYA test with all pool water, you would need to divide the result in half to get the actual CYA level when the pool is full.

jblizzle said:
When in the shock process you should be running the filter 24/7 to clear everything out.
Clean the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Ideally now you that you have raised to shock level (the 8 gallons raised your FC by 30ppm ... the shock level for a CYA of 50ppm is only 20ppm ... so you likely overshot quite a bit which is not recommended), you would be testing hourly to maintain the FC at shock level (which you do not have the test yet).

So, you "might" have killed everything, but no way to know until you can accurately test to maintain the appropriate FC level and to perform the OCLT.

BTW, testing for anything while the pool is still only half full is not going to give you an accurate result for anything without some math to determine what the factor should be.

EDIT, well, I guess that is not true. IF the pool was 50% full and you did the CYA test with all pool water, you would need to divide the result in half to get the actual CYA level when the pool is full.

When I get the test kit, how high does it register chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MonsterPoolMan said:
I more thing, I have the cheapo test kit and the chlorine test is brown. All is good I hope?

If that's the OTO type test (measures Yellow not Pink) then brown just means it is really a lot higher than the 5 max it normally measures - I think brown is > 30 if I recall correctly.

Here's a thread about that...
cholrine-test-is-dark-orange-color-t28961.html

I wouldn't say that I agree 100% with the values stated - I've seen orange at > 10 < 20.

UnderWaterVanya said:
MonsterPoolMan said:
I more thing, I have the cheapo test kit and the chlorine test is brown. All is good I hope?

If that's the OTO type test (measures Yellow not Pink) then brown just means it is really a lot higher than the 5 max it normally measures - I think brown is > 30 if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't say that I agree 100% with the values stated - I've seen orange at > 10 < 20.

It shouldn't harm anything right?

MonsterPoolMan said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
MonsterPoolMan said:

It shouldn't harm anything right?

Actually it could be too high. The max shock level (mustard algae) for a 50 CYA is around 30ppm. The normal shock level is only 20ppm so you are quite a bit higher than needed. I'm not sure what harm this can do - if it was a vinyl pool you would be in danger of causing fading.

Water is actually Blue. The stains on the bottom, I scrubbed and scrubbed and they won't go away. I still don't have my test kit until Monday. Any advice? My filters were supposed to come today, but that will probably be Monday too! It has been raining all day.

Those look like the "stains" I had. After a couple weeks at shock level (cl 10 @ cya 20), they are almost all gone now. I think it was mostly black algae along with some staining. There's still some discoloration (black on the sides and brown on the bottom), and I think what's left may be some sort of staining, but it's not nearly as pronounced as it was before I started shocking. See if they continue to fade while you're at shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support