What effect does lots of rain have on chemical balance?

The biggest thing that rain does is add organics to the pool water, making it easier to develop algae. A couple of inches of water in the form of rain doesn't have much of an effect on other stuff. From a dilution standpoint, it wouldn't enough to effect much of a change on things like CYA, CH, and stuff.

You can answer your own question via daily testing. You 'need' to know how your pool fluctuates. With daily testing you will have great control over your pool and the knowledge of what to add to the water and more importantly...why!. Swim in clean and clear water!!

I was stationed in Hawaii for a few years, so I am jealous of your weather. Enjoy your pool and the surf!

Alobha!

257WbyMag said:
The biggest thing that rain does is add organics to the pool water, making it easier to develop algae. A couple of inches of water in the form of rain doesn't have much of an effect on other stuff. From a dilution standpoint, it wouldn't enough to effect much of a change on things like CYA, CH, and stuff.

Organics? In what form? Organics (my understanding) are some form of decaying life... (something about stepping into a poodle almost fits here).

I have read that Rain will bring Nitrogen it gathers from the air as it falls through it into the pool (IPSSA Water Chemistry Manual - although I'm somewhat skeptical about it gathering a measurable amount).

I do know that the largest effect rain has is on dilution. We got really abnormal rains this winter and the average dilution was 35-40% (based on fall/spring Bo and CYA measurements).

The IPSSA is wrong. Yes, the water will contain dissolved gasses, but in no higher concentration than would be found in pool water exposed to air anyway. As for organics, that all depends on whether the rain is sweeping through pollen or other airborne contaminants. Usually, rain just aerates the water, but some people do find an increased chlorine demand.

Funny you should say that, we had thunderstorms the last 2 days in the afternoon and I was also cutting back the long wild grass in the field. I could SEE clouds of pollen being released from the grasses and sure enough I had a 3.5 ppm loss of FC in 24 hours, which is higher than normal.

Got to say...you guys and this forum are great. You get the most thorough, no BS, quick responses from here than any other forum I've seen. I feel very secure in taking your recommendations. You have given me a lot of confidence in taking on this new responsibility.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.