Long periods of rain

Mikecn

Aug 12, 2022
Austin Texas
Forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong area.
I live in central Texas and have had a lot of rain this year. Nearly weekly there has been enough rain to cause my pool water to drain from the overflow and dilute. So I have been adjusting balance of all my chemicals just to get them diluted in a couple of days. I’m testing and adding chlorine not because of evaporation by dilution. My CYA is lower than I would set it. I still have a large bucket of tablets. Would I be foolish to use those tablets until the rainy season is over?

Actually having rain is a good way for many to lower CYA if they are struggling with high CYA. If you drain a foot of water from your pool then let the rain fill it then you can effectively lower the CYA somewhat. You may not have that issue so you could use tabs to keep chlorine in your pool and it will help to slowly increase CYA. If you have the PoolMath app, you will see it will take a lot of tabs to move your CYA significantly in a short time.
How do you chlorinate your pool now? Liquid Chlorine?
It is recommended that you test your pool every 1-2 days with lots of rain to keep on top of your chemical balance.
FYI - I just added stabilizer via the sock method, I had to add salt as well for my SWCG. And my CH has dropped. I had to drain about 6 inches from my pool because the rain had filled it to the coping so I basically did a mini drain. And it is still raining.

I use liquid chlorine under normal circumstances. I test ph and fc daily. I usually test ch and ta weekly cya monthly. I currently am adding twice my usual chlorine daily and adding Muratic acid every couple of days and calcium chloride weekly. The drop in cya is the least of my worries.

My lawn is a deep green except for a large patch where my pool overfill drains. Basically everything I add to my pool is just ending up in my lawn. Figured I could use my tabs to keep feeding some Chlorine into the pool and increase cya as a side effect. And I’ll just pour my daily chlorine dosage on the lawn.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.