mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Do they make a tablet that distributes chlorine only and not stabilizer too? I don’t want CYA being increased while I temporarily need to float some tablets while my SWG is being repaired.
Cheers

No.

There are compressed calcium hypochlorite 'tablets'. They add calcium. Which also builds up in your water. And they dissolve somewhat rapidly and can leave a goo behind that is the binder used to hold them together.

Do they make a tablet that distributes chlorine only and not stabilizer too? I don’t want CYA being increased while I temporarily need to float some tablets while my SWG is being repaired.
Yes, at the unicorn shop! ;) If someone invented a "chlorine only" tablet they would become a gazillionare overnight. (And then they could afford to genetically create a unicorn!!) It would revolutionize pool care! The chlorine needs something to bind to. That's either CYA or the calcium hypochlorite Marty is describing. Neither of which you want to build up in your pool. If you can't have either of those added to your pool, you gotta use liquid chlorine in the interim. No can do?

Yes, at the unicorn shop! ;) If someone invented a "chlorine only" tablet they would become a gazillionare overnight. (And then they could afford to genetically create a unicorn!!) It would revolutionize pool care! The chlorine needs something to bind to. That's either CYA or the calcium hypochlorite Marty is describing. Neither of which you want to build up in your pool. If you can't have either of those added to your pool, you gotta use liquid chlorine in the interim. No can do?

I've wondered why they can't make one that bonds to salt. But I didn't take chemistry in college, grad school or law school. Lol.

I was asking if there is anything limiting the use of liquid chlorine? Your schedule or availability? Or something like that? I offered this a while back, not sure there were any takers. If you can't do the LC yourself, maybe someone else can, but maybe they're not as capable? So you figure out your chlorine loss per day (from your pump runtime and SWG output), and you fill empty water bottles with that amount of LC. Label'em MON, TUE, WED, etc. Kinda like those pill dispensers (not that I use those or anything like that!). Then you just need a volunteer to dump one of those a day into your pool. EZPZ, no testing or measuring required. It might not keep your FC perfect, but it'll likely be close enough until you get your SWG back. Err on the side of caution, maybe measure out a little more LC to play it safe. A little too much is better than too little.

Sidebar: I retired my first SWG somewhat before its end-of-life, and keep it in the box my new one came in. If the second one fails, I might be able to revive the first one and limp along until the third one shows up. A little "redundancy" MO for ya...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.