3 PB Quotes (Southwest FL) - What would you do with these pools and quotes?

Do we on TFP suggest Salt water generators? (I need to read up on Salt vs Chlorine, haven't had SWG).

Yes, read...

What is the overflow drain, just from too much rain, etc? Is that not standard?

Do not assume anything is "standard". There are no standards and pool builders do their own thing.

Without an overflow drain in a big rain storm the pool water level can rise above the coping and spill out. You will have to pump out water to lower the pool water level. If you get an overflow drain make sure the PB understand how to install it so it only drains water when it approaches the top of the skimmer mouth. We see overflow drains placed too low and interfere with normal skimmer operation.

Here is one example of an improperly installed overflow drain...

Thanks for the advice on Jandy, I only know Hayward, so sound like I should go with Pentair, not Jandy.

Hayward falls someplace between Pentair and Jandy in my opinion. They each have good products and bad ones.

SUNSHELF TOP STEP WITH BUBBLER FOUNTAIN

What is a spa bubbler, is that like a blower?
A bubbler is like a fountain that shoots a column up into the air. Some light up. Kids like to play in them. The working part is inside a hole in your plaster. PB 3 has two for his pool. One on the shelf and one in the spa. You for sure do NOT want the one in the spa as it will splash everyone in it and it is too loud for chatting. They are neat in the beginning but the novelty wears off fast.

and why is 4 return lines necessary, I'm not sure what they do?
Pool words:
return-these are what "return" the water back to the pool from the filter. They have "eyeballs" that can be moved to circulate the water to help keep it clear.
skimmer-shaped like a rectangle. It is where the pump pulls the water from the pool with the pump to the filter to be sent back to the pool by the returns.
main drain-this is like a skimmer on the bottom of the deep end. It can be circles or a long rectangle. It pulls the water in and sends it to the filter. You do NOT have to have one.

So you need enough returns to make the water go around the pool and send it back to the skimmmer. Most pools have one on each wall to keep from having any "dead" areas in the pool.

TFP suggest Salt water generators
YES!! One day I will have one!! The make pool life so easy!! Here is a link to help you start learning about them: Salt Water Chlorine Generators - Trouble Free Pool

What is the overflow drain, just from too much rain, etc? Is that not standard
It is a small grate towards the top of your water line tile that is connected to PVC pipe that send the extra water from rain out of the pool to your drainage system or the cack or your yard or where every it is allowed in your area. VERY helpful so you don't have to worry about big rains. It is not "standard" for all PB some do it, some do not. You WANT one!

Keep the questions coming!!!

Kim:kim:

A SWG is the top feature I would say that is technically optional that you want. Followed closely by a robot.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
I think everyone else beat the equipment selections to death, and there were some good comments. As far as saving money, I would say sub out whatever you can to someone else. Think fence, landscaping, and that enclosure. It will be cheaper because 99 percent chance the PB is subbing it out and marking it up. The only issue there is you will be coordinating these guys along with your PB so you will have to be a project manager of sorts. Also if there are any snags or problems it could easily turn into a blame game. If it was me, I would just pay the PB to build the pool and maybe do the surrounding pavers/decking/flagstone/whatever but I would shop around for everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.