20x40 inground pool, one wall not square?

The turnbuckles should have been adjusted before the concrete was poured.

In my opinion, I would want it right.

It's your decision if you want to live with it or not.
I hate living with things. Especially ones that I notice and pointed out in advance. When I had my house roof done last fall they left in uncovered from day one to day two. I texted and called the owner telling them it was going to rain and they responded it was fine. The rain that night caused $7,000 in damages inside the house which they caused little fight about paying for but I had to deal with. I just hate babysitting contractors. I assumed a rectangular pool should have square corners. Right angles have 90 degree corners. Why are mine like 88 degrees? lol

Reactions: JamesW
What was the end result, does anyone notice now that the pool is done?
The patio guys jacked up the low side and put a footer under it to keep it there. And nobody but me will ever know it's still not perfect.

But if yours can possibly be straightened, nows the time. :)

Reactions: Player92my3
I was going to ask the same as James above. If the bottom is bowed, you may be out of luck, but if it’s just the top, maybe the turnbuckles can be adjusted or even once the water gets in it, it may bow back out.

FWIW, (and, it's your pool not mine, so probably not worth a lot) I'd be absolutely fine living with this. It's not going to affect anything structural.

What kind of coping/pool deck are you going with? If you're coping is going to overhang then that can easily be covered up to the point where nobody will notice it's not perfect square.

Maybe I am less OCD about this because I'm not paying for it, but with the concrete already poured I feel like you're going to end up going through more hassle than it is worth. If the PB agrees to fix it and it can be done by just adjusting the turnbuckles and pulling the tops of the wall back, then great. But I'm not sure I'd want to hold up progress over this.

Again, just my .02 and others here with more experience probably disagree.

Reactions: Bperry
If that is left as it is, won't the liner NOT fit as it should. You might end up with wrinkles, or the liner popping out because the wall is farther back by an inch at that part of the wall. Let your PB know that you want to be sure the liner fits perfectly.

Reactions: JamesW
I suspect that the builder will say something like "We will work it out in the end, we see this all the time and by the time everything is done it will be right"

Then I would respond. "Sounds good as long as you know you'll have to fix it if it still looks like that in the end. Do you want to fix it now while it isn't a major undertaking or do you want to wait and have to redo everything?"

So a little update. Pool builder won’t be here until Friday morning to talk. I checked and the walls are plumb (level up and down) meaning they must be bowed the same on the bottom and top so as far as turn buckles go I think I’m out of luck. The good news is the pool is level, like nighttime laser level perfect so since the walls are level and plumb I feel good. I just don’t know about the bowing. I talked to a potential concrete guy who should be coming Saturday morning to give an estimate. I’ll get his opinion. If he can make the deck square then I’ll likely care a lot less. The big thing is that the liner stays hooked and not wrinkled. Lots of great input here. Hopefully my next update this weekend will share some more insight.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You wouldn't believe the amount of contractors I come across that say everything is ok. The amount of them I have to go behind and fix things they should be doing themselves is unbelievable. The majority dont care as it's not theirs and they have not got to live with it or deal with it. I had the same issue with my concrete guys. There are very few who care how the final product looks and how long it lasts. The crew i used were the best in the area too and theres still numerous issues im not happy with. but it does look better than 95% of the pool concrete jobs i see.

Reactions: Newdude
Final updated, pool builder came out this morning and recognized the issue. He says he will turn the turn buckles a little and then the rest will be hidden with concrete. I was pretty happy with his confidence and knowledge which made me remember why I hired this guy to start with. Hopefully in a month when the pool is complete I will feel the same. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.