2023 Bleach Prices

I bought 4, but having a hot tub, most of it will degrade by the time it's used up. About 1 ppm per day demand if nobody gets in...

My rugrat has a pool she hasn't opened yet, it will probably cost her a small fortune when she does
If it’s in Alabama too- it’s definitely a bit late ⏰ but send her here we’ll get her fixed up!

Reactions: Methuselah
Just bought a few cases of the 12.5% at Woodman's here in Green Bay WI for $12.99. I never even knew they sold it there. The sales sign in the store says their "regular price" is $14.99. The dates on the jugs are from late February, so not exactly the freshest stuff, but the price is really hard to beat at this point.
I just purchased more chlorine at the Buffalo Grove, Il Woodman's and the price has dropped to 12.99/case of four from 13.99 I paid a few weeks ago and the 14.99 I paid before that.

No indication if this is a sale price or their new regular price but definitely going in the correct direction. By far the least expensive price in the area for 12.5% chlorine.

Last edited:
I just purchased more chlorine at the Buffalo Grove, Il Woodman's and the price has dropped to 12.99/case of four from 13.99 I paid a few weeks ago and the 14.99 I paid before that.

No indication if this is a sale price or their new regular price but definitely going in the correct direction. By far the lease expensive price in the area for 12.5% chlorine.
I'll check the Woodman's in Carpentersville as that's a lot closer for me. My Menard's is $4.44/gallon with their 11% off.

For those of you who live near a Meijer store, they have a deal going on thru June 10th on their 4 gallon box of 10% pool sanitizer.

I think that is a really great price when comparing to bleach/liquid chlorine prices I have been pricing around town.

Just wanted to share as this would come in handy for those SLAMMING their pools!

Load up!
Screenshot_20230608_205123_Meijer.jpg

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
$8.98 per gallon at Lowes today. I can't rely on Walmart so I had to bank 3 gallons on the way home.
That is crazy $$$
I still can’t believe it’s so expensive.
At this point having a swcg is like printing money in your backyard 💸💸💸

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point having a swcg is like printing money in your backyard 💸💸💸
20k gallons / 1 gal 10% :
$9.61 (with tax) = 5 FC @ $1.92 per FC. :shock:

An IC40 will produce 3500 lifetime FC in 20k gallons. The full PB install would have to cost $6720 to break even with $8.98 jugs. Even paying a hefty PB profit it would easily ROI over 2X.

I bought several gallons of 10% at Wally yesterday and they were $10.88 a two pack. (First time in a long time tho). Prices here at least are coming down, but that's not the case with cells. Mine went bad after 2.5 years and I am seriously considering leaving the bypass in and doing the LC from now on. My calculations are that it's more expensive to have a SWCG now by a fair margin. I am certainly going until next spring before replacing my cell. I have to do a water exchange due to CH before I would consider putting a new cell online.

Lowes also likes to store the bleach outside which at least here in Arizona guarantees that you are buying salt water.

I bought several gallons of 10% at Wally yesterday and they were $10.88 a two pack. (First time in a long time tho). Prices here at least are coming down, but that's not the case with cells. Mine went bad after 2.5 years and I am seriously considering leaving the bypass in and doing the LC from now on. My calculations are that it's more expensive to have a SWCG now by a fair margin. I am certainly going until next spring before replacing my cell. I have to do a water exchange due to CH before I would consider putting a new cell online.

Lowes also likes to store the bleach outside which at least here in Arizona guarantees that you are buying salt water.
Isn’t it still under warranty at 2.5 years?

My calculations are that it's more expensive to have a SWCG now by a fair margin.
Most have found quite the opposite is true - at least if the pool water is properly maintained to TFP standards regularly.

My 12,300 gallon pool uses approximately 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine every two days on average.
In the middle of summer, sometimes more. In winter it uses less.
If I use 100 gallons of chlorine per year at $5 to $10 per gallon, thats $500 to $1000 per year.

An RJ45+ new is $1449 ($1429 for RJ30+ and $20 to upgrade to the RJ45+) today.
A replacement cell for my RJ45+ is $694 today.

So the RJ45+ and a replacement cell for it is about $2150 (controller and TWO cells).
Break even at $500/year for liquid chlorine is about 4 years if each cell lasted only 2 years.
Break even at $1000/year for liquid chlorine is about 2 years if each cell only lasted 1 year.

Even if the entire RJ45+ went bad and the controller and cell needed to be replaced, break even at $500/year for liquid chlorine is only 3 years (1.5 years if chlorine was $1000/year).

Add in the fuel and time to chase down liquid chlorine - and the comfort of knowing I can leave for 2-3 weeks without worrying about the pool - and it's a no brainer for me. All of last winter, I used 3 gallons of chlorine when the water temps in AZ dropped low enough that the SWG wasn't producing. Spent $15 on liquid chlorine for that.

If my SWG cell went out today, I'd have another one ordered tonight.

Isn’t it still under warranty at 2.5 years?
It is but it's so highly prorated at this point that I can't afford it right now. I had a second round of a major medical issue in April until now, and until I get caught up a bit I can't afford it. Disability dropped me before I was well enough to go back... Zero income for the last 5 weeks... In the spring I will do the water change I need to get my CH down and probably buy a new cell. Since I have been sick for 5 months, it's now 3 years.... I posted elsewhere the whole story... Actually I have a decent log of everything to do with the SWCG including my original price calculations here if you search for it. It's rather amazing that these have doubled in price in less than three years...

Since I need to do a water change in the spring I am also using tablets... Overall it's pretty close to being even in cost with replacing the cell. We are near the end of the season as it is... So next spring...

The Walmart go-to single gallon item is out of stock online and in stores.

There's a third-party listing up there gouging for $50 for two gallons.

That's not too cool. What's up with all that?
I'd been getting LC from Walmart this summer until this week when it was out of stock in ALL stores. The swimming pool supplies like Leslies are $9 a gallon of 10% before tax, E-Konomy is $16 a gallon of 12.5%. At this point I'm seriously considering draining the pool. I cannot afford to keep it chlorinated. This is insane. Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.